McCoist interested managing Sunderland

IF he cared so much, why did he say nothing whilst Charles Green et al were running the club into the ground? He had an opportunity to make a stance with John Brown, he never. He then had a further opportunity when it came to the vote, but as he clearly didn't want to take personal responsibility then he proxied or in layman terms - he never.

He looked awful as he was under mounting pressure when a fair proportion of the fans woke up and realised that he was shit at his job and when results were failing him. It's hardly unique and goes with the territory of being high profile and failing with the fans being unable to continue to blame everyone else but McCoist. Until then it was just a bit laugh at training.

Instrumental in standing up for the club? He gave public soundbytes and (apologies for the repetition) kept his mouth shut when the club was heading to a potential abyss.

££££££££££££££££

Highest paid manager in Scotland whilst in 4th tier and allegedly in receipt of 100% bonus for promotion ( would've allegedly been due £936k had we beat Motherwell in the play-off final ).

I don’t think McCoist is cut out for football management but to suggest that he “didn’t give a shit” when managing Rangers is, in my opinion, harsh in the extreme. Personally I think he cared deeply about everything that was happening at the club at the time, to the clear detriment of his health. He looked awful in his latter days at the club, I think the whole experience took its toll on him. Yes he was handsomely paid. Yes he failed to live up to expectations when it came to performances and results. That’s undeniable. But I don’t think it’s right to suggest he didn’t care. He was instrumental in standing up for the club in unprecedented times and he gets my respect for that.

His behaviour after the petrofac cup loss to raith and his attitude to training and fitness of his players suggests otherwise

Doubt their fans would accept Ally, they are very knowledgeable about football and will have watched us stumble and scatter cash on countless duds and miss every god given opportunity to put our club on a sound footing as we moved up the divisions. I am sure they will not want a similarly lazy approach to their clubs future.

Some people are born leaders, inspirational people, driven managers who know how to get the best out of a group of men. Their insight and wisdom is awe inspiring and they can make the sum of the parts much greater than the whole. Then there's Alastair McCoist, please do not darken their door mate, they are a passionate and long suffering crowd. Do yourself and them a favour if approached... walk a-way, your future is in broadcasting, embrace the life and keep what remains of your hero status intact.

££££££££££££££££

Highest paid manager in Scotland whilst in 4th tier and allegedly in receipt of 100% bonus for promotion ( would've allegedly been due £936k had we beat Motherwell in the play-off final ).

The thing is it's all so obvious. I respect everyone's right to see things differently, but the evidence of his motivation was and is there.

legend as a player, met him in the summer of 2008, was everything I'd hoped he'd be.
However!! he was a terrible mngr. I had my doubts during the 07/08 season. Walter would let Ally manage the cup ties AND every game we'd see Walter come out of the stands and whisper in Ally's ear, while Ally looked dumbfounded. NEVER a manager for me...

Ally isn't a manager - the sooner he gets that into his head the better. He doesn't need to go around looking for management jobs to make an arse of himself. He can stick to doing well in his media career, which always seemed to suit him after football.

He has no idea of how bad a job he did for us and how far he set us back, he actually thinks he did a good job for us.

He is an awful manager and will be lucky to get another managers job again.

Ally managed us under the most extreme circumstances anyone can imagine. We all know he made mistakes, but it was his first managers job.

I personally hope he gets it and proves so many on here wrong.

This is absolute nonsense.

John Greig had 5 years as a manager, eventually resigned and never took a managerial position again.

More recently, Alan Shearer had a brief stint at Newcastle and couldn't save them from relegation. Again, he walked away and back into his TV work.

Ditto Gary Neville.

Perhaps Ally should take a leaf out of their book ? Stick to the TV work.

This I agree with.

McCoist is a natural on TV or radio and should concentrate on this career path. He is simply not cut out to manage a football club in my humble opinion.

Yesterday, we have one of the top sides in Europe utilising our training complex.

The same training complex where McCoist used as a big boy's playground and had a team of full time players who contrived to lose a 2 goal lead on a midweek night to part-time Alloa...........who had players who had already done a shift that day.

But, Ally had it hard at Rangers??????

Does he live in some sort of bubble?
Has he no concept of how poor a football Manager he was?
If Sunderland appoint him then they will surely be relegated.
Stick to the telly Ally.

IF he cared so much, why did he say nothing whilst Charles Green et al were running the club into the ground? He had an opportunity to make a stance with John Brown, he never. He then had a further opportunity when it came to the vote, but as he clearly didn't want to take personal responsibility then he proxied or in layman terms - he never.

He looked awful as he was under mounting pressure when a fair proportion of the fans woke up and realised that he was shit at his job and when results were failing him. It's hardly unique and goes with the territory of being high profile and failing with the fans being unable to continue to blame everyone else but McCoist. Until then it was just a bit laugh at training.

Instrumental in standing up for the club? He gave public soundbytes and (apologies for the repetition) kept his mouth shut when the club was heading to a potential abyss.
Excellent post - spot on

Ally managed us under the most extreme circumstances anyone can imagine. We all know he made mistakes, but it was his first managers job.

I personally hope he gets it and proves so many on here wrong.

This for me.

No one criticised Ally during his tenure for us more than I did.
I couldn't forgive him the near moribund football being churned out by a Rangers team who should have been Barcelonaesque given the disparity in resources that we enjoyed against out part time opponents.
In this he was a failure, because, as the Rangers support loyally almost insanely so, turned up in their tens of thousands, he simply failed to deliver anything worth watching.
Quite unforgivable.

However, I also offered many a sympathetic line towards the unusual circumstances he faced, and I was quick to applaud his dignity and off field behaviour as he manfully sought to provide a face of some respectability for the club, as behind the scenes criminals ravaged, plotted and pillaged inside Ibrox itself.

I hope that Ally learned some really hard lessons from his time in our managers office.
He is an unusually smart man, and it would be almost sinfully stupid to write him off.

If he got the Sunderland job, probably one of the most difficult football positions out there, he would have my best wishes and Sunderland would suddenly become a matter of great interest for me, and the rest of us no doubt.
I am sure he is still capable of surprising us, I would love it if he did.

I’m sure Chorley Town would be easy to deal with re Ian Black. Few years left in big Kyles legs too if you can winch him out his taxi. Seriously, this is yet another joke rumour/thread.

Then why do we bother playing football? If the biggest, best paid and richest teams will always beat everyone else.

Look at the players he had and do you seriously think they could have went inbeaten?

He was also unlucky in that both Hibs and Hearts came down the year we got to the Championship.

Unlucky hubs and hearts were in the championship my arse

Mccosit signed Kevin Kyle he resigned Boyd

The guy is the laziest manager ever to manage. He was a disgrace and don't even start on the salary debacle and getting paid after the good guys came in o and forgetting to vote at the agm

I can understand entirely where you are coming from.
To us, the support, we looked on in amazement as a gang of spivs used and abused our club with complete criminal abandon.
To see Ally McCoist working alongside them and say little to call them out was perplexing.

However, Walter took a position on the Board during this period, and although he clearly was unnerved by what he witnessed, what has Walter ever said about these people?
Prior to that Gordon Smith was inside Ibrox as Whyte started the entire debacle off, what did he say at the time?

The problem is just what can you say, when all of your suspicions may just be that....suspicions?
John Brown had plenty to say, but John Brown wasn't being held accountable by anyone.
He wasn't inside the structure and probably less financially liable in relation to his accusations.

Since the entire tragic debacle, what spiv involved in raping Rangers has been held accountable by a court in the land?

You, me, and every decent person with any insight into what went on, knows that these people were acting in a manner that should see them inside prison cells.
None of them are there.
Why?

The reason why, is perhaps not just that the malpractices are difficult to prove, but the evidence is also difficult to assemble, that the crimes are well hidden, and that our entire legal system actually assists such behaviour rather than prevents it.

Yet, Ally McCoist takes the rap for not doing what the entire legal system, the Scottish police Service, and millions of pounds has failed to do?
If only it were that simple...eh?

Self awareness seems to be a major lacking in Mr. McCoist's make-up. Never a football manager, the sooner he realises that the better for himself!

Sunderland job is a poison chalice for any manager. If he gets it though, good luck to him.

I can understand entirely where you are coming from.
To us, the support, we looked on in amazement as a gang of spivs used and abused our club with complete criminal abandon.
To see Ally McCoist working alongside them and say little to call them out was perplexing.

However, Walter took a position on the Board during this period, and although he clearly was unnerved by what he witnessed, what has Walter ever said about these people?
Prior to that Gordon Smith was inside Ibrox as Whyte started the entire debacle off, what did he say at the time?

The problem is just what can you say, when all of your suspicions may just be that....suspicions?
John Brown had plenty to say, but John Brown wasn't being held accountable by anyone.
He wasn't inside the structure and probably less financially liable in relation to his accusations.

Since the entire tragic debacle, what spiv involved in raping Rangers has been held accountable by a court in the land?

You, me, and every decent person with any insight into what went on, knows that these people were acting in a manner that should see them inside prison cells.
None of them are there.
Why?

The reason why, is perhaps not just that the malpractices are difficult to prove, but the evidence is also difficult to assemble, that the crimes are well hidden, and that our entire legal system actually assists such behaviour rather than prevents it.

Yet, Ally McCoist takes the rap for not doing what the entire legal system, the Scottish police Service, and millions of pounds has failed to do?
If only it were that simple...eh?

If we are talking McCoist in this, it's different to John Brown. McCoist was billed on here as some kind of super spy/super hero whose mission was to bring it all down, so if we were all to believe he was the eyes and ears etc. and with that he most likely had a lot of inside knowledge as well as suspicion and didn't act on it at all......why? (a rhetorical question)

Walter Smith promptly left as he wanted to do with what was going on, he wished "the new Rangers" all the best but never done anything and nor did Gordon Smith with Whyte. They however were not around the club for a long period of time and involved in what was going on, for said period of time.

Would I want McCoist to act like the justice system etc? Nope, but what I would expect is for him to blow the whistle at the time.......if he had the best interests at heart of the club.

There was plenty of warnings over Green but the Sheffield United fans were sneered at, John Brown was labelled a drunk and anyone who spoke out was rubbished, by the majority on this very board. Yet the man who is/was billed as a martyr worked with him and the future crooks handsomely.

So the evidence M'lud is that McCoist worked for himself. How people can't see that and likely still think he saved the club is absolutely ludicrous, had he tipped his thumb on the scale against Charles Green then..........we'll never know.

Then why do we bother playing football? If the biggest, best paid and richest teams will always beat everyone else.

Look at the players he had and do you seriously think they could have went inbeaten?

He was also unlucky in that both Hibs and Hearts came down the year we got to the Championship.
His training was a joke and he never tried a leg.unlucky f all.

Best of luck to you if you apply.Ally.But don't hand your notice in to any of the many jobs you have just now as you won't get the job.

A tough proposition that one, Bain being there means it is possibly an option, would like to see him succeed if he gets that role

I have no attached emotion, so I would like this to happen just to see how it would play out. Although, I think we all know exactly how it would unfold.

I could not understand Ally's approach to our style of football whilst he was manager. As I understand it McCoist during his first stint of tv commentating would go around all the top teams training facilities watching them train whilst taking notes on their methods, his co commentator Townsend noted that Ally had some fantastic ideas on how to build and train a team. So I was underwhelmed when he seemed to just plod along at Ibrox without implementing any of the ideas he apparently had, so perhaps if given the Sunderland job he might feel free to try different things.

I for one will be watching with interest.

He treated the job like it was a Christmas contract with Amazon............effectively he didn't give a shit and arsed about. Problem was, he knew he wasn't going to be sacked as some fans were like lemmings in their worship of him.

"Extreme circumstances anyone can imagine"........FFS, read that back to yourself.

His job wasn't under threat, he was gifted shares by Green and co, he backed everyone accordingly, he was a shite manager, he let players blast the ball at his bare arse in training, some of the results were horrendous, he played a brand of football after outspending our part time rivals by 10000000% that bored teams into submission and no matter what he had a huge element of "aye but, Ally......" which meant he unfortunately lasted longer than he should have.

The only extreme circumstances experienced were from the people who suffered during that period of time and I include the fans in that. McCoist was made a very wealthy man for pissing about and taking the piss out the fans, IMO.

This view is directly contradicted by pretty much every player who was at Rangers during administration and beyond who all say that mccoist worked his bollocks off during that time.

I'm sure you know better though. There is a breathtaking hypocrisy in claiming to be a loyal fan and then attempting to perform a character assassination on someone who, no matter how ill suited he was to management, is a club legend. With nothing more to back up your claim beyond internet rumour and an inability to comprehend publicly available information.

He wasn't cut out for management, that much is clear. The need to gleefully stick the boot in and angrily dismiss or belittle what he actually did for this club seems excessive and unique to a deeply unpleasant subset of internet obsesssives.

I hope if his application is successful he goes on and does well with them. I've always felt he gets a bit of a raw deal on here tbh. I'd hate to see where we'd have been as a club if it wasn't for him.

He'd almost certainly get them out of the Championship into League One
His groundbreaking karaoke and bare ass targeting training regime could be just what they need
I'm guessing his garden needs some work now that his media work has dragged him from it
Have no feelings one way or another for Sunderland so would like to see this happen just for the sheer lunacy of it
Are they looking at any other managers who failed in the Scottish Championship?

This is normal stuff for talksport guests. Makes them look current.
Talk them up on shows they appear on. In reality Ally will know he has no chance of that post.

If he gets it I wish him well. He might not be cut out for football management but if he wants to give it a go at Sunderland and they take a chance on him then so be it. Would be interested to see how it goes.

Back