McGregor back at Ibrox - Official - Welcome home Shagger!

36 year old player of the year at a struggling Championship club?

I'm sceptical. I hope he's a good as everyone thinks he is.

6 years is a long time in the career of a professional athlete.

Goal keepers are not like your outfield players, in fact, the prime of a goal keeper is in their 30s, which is probably the reason he had season of the year. Confusing a goal keeper to that of an outfield player is a mistake, some of the best keepers went on until their early 40s.

He shaved aswell for us :p

He needs to get a better razor if that's him shaved :D

m7ajw0.png

Prepare to be amazed then as we have already rejected a bid of more than £1M and are holding out for £2M according to H&H this afternoon.
Was it not a bid for £2m and we were holding out for £3m?

I like Wes but he hasn't been good enough this season. A keeper like Shagger can win you games.

As for next season with our keepers I’d like to see the following......

McGregor - 1st choice
Alnwick - backup
Kelly - reserves
McCrorie - season long loan at a championship club
Foderingham - to be sold

I'm absolutely delighted McGregor has rejoined.

He is vastly superior to what we currently have but hes also a winner that can organise the defence and will play a huge role in bringing on the 2 young keepers over the next few years!

Watch McGregors reaction when we conceded the consolation goal at the end of the 4-2 Mendes game at the piggery a few years ago. He went fuckin nuts at conceding when the game was won. He is a winner

As daft it sounds im more happy about this signing than any other for the club in last 5 years. For all his faults, you cannot question mcgregors mentality. Winner from start to finish. He hates to lose goals hates it. Mccoist said the same in the simon ferry interview.

Age for a goalie is only a number. His ability will still be their.

Good keeper and someone to boot a few arses when required.

Always loved McGregors character/ mentality when he was here.

Hoping for the best with this, really rated him first time round.

He should be a massive improvement on Foderingham, who frankly, I would like to move on.

Mcgregor f.ucking hates those reptiles. I've not seen him play since he left us but hopefully he's as good as he was if not better.

I was thinking the same a right moaning faced bassa who will give the defence pelters....

Aye, exactly what we are needing mate. Hopefully a few more come in that are there to win and not make friends. Too many of our current players are more interested fannying around on social media thinking they've made it.

I've never anticipated a goal as much as Werder Bremen that night.

In my mind it was in the back of the net, good effort against a really tough side, if only McCulloch had scored that third.

Boom, save. Unbelievable Jeff.

As well as sanctioning these ones, it wouldn't surprise me if Gerrard's already given Allen his shopping list of must-have's before full assessment of the existing players. Maybe we'll see some of them soon.

With 1st of June seeming to take ages to come around, it would be great to think we've a set of players being trotted out before then to keep us going!

apart from being a good keeper he will also go absolutely mental at the defence every time we lose a goal which has been sadly lacking recently.

He knows the standard required and has a winners mentality.

Welcome home

Absolutely delighted this has been confirmed now, huge upgrade on what we have. As mentioned before on this thread, best keeper we have had since he left, and by some distance!

We need people who are born and bred winners, and he absolutely is that. That he will give us more presence in the national team will also help redress the balance somewhat, albeit that isn't the most pressing concern just now.

Cannot wait for 1st of June and the express to really start rolling!

Not a chance. I’m glad he’s back but it’s a total spit in the face for Lee Wallace for McGregor to take the armband.

EDIT - I AM FULLY AWARE LEE WALLACE WILL NEVER PLAY FOR US AGAIN NOR DO I WANT HIM TOO.

Last edited:
I've never anticipated a goal as much as Werder Bremen that night.

In my mind it was in the back of the net, good effort against a really tough side, if only McCulloch had scored that third.

Boom, save. Unbelievable Jeff.
We were in amongst the Bremen fans that night,even they were raving about that save.Goram himself would have been proud of it.

He'll be a leader regardless.

Most of our current won't know what's hit them with McGregor in that dressing room.
Absolutely. You don't need an armband to be a leader, look at Rossiter against Hibs - going off injured but still barking orders at his teammates.

The Future Is Bright

160518_allan_mcgregor_signs_ibrox_14.jpg

Wednesday, 16 May 2018, 17:45
by Neil Smith

ALLAN MCGREGOR can’t wait to work with the new management team of Steven Gerrard and Gary McAllister at Rangers.

36-year-old Greegsy became Liverpool and England legend Gerrard’s second signing today, with the experienced Scotland goalkeeper returning to Ibrox after spells with Besiktas and Hull City, where he was Player of the Year for 2017/18.

McGregor made 278 first-team appearances for Rangers from 2002 to 2012 and in an exclusive interview with the club’s official TV channela at Ibrox this afternoon he admitted he is excited to play for Gerrard and McAllister at the start of a new era for the Light Blues.

He said: “It will be great. I think it’s a big coup for the club and I’ve watched his interviews and I saw the fans afterwards and it was an amazing time for them.

“So hopefully that can bring us success on the pitch, but at the end of the day it’s the boys that need to go and perform, managers can only do so much.”

Gerrard was a winner and leader on the pitch as a player and McGregor is confident he will bring those attributes to his first managerial role with the Light Blues.

He added: “Hopefully he will bring that winning mentality back. I’m not saying we’ve not had that, I’m just saying consistently you need to make this place a fortress where nobody wants to come.

“You need to win games and it doesn’t matter who you are playing.

“Every game is an opportunity for three points and if you keep doing and doing that and doing that, as we’ve seen before that’s what wins titles.

“I’ve not spoken to [Steven Gerrard] yet but I’m sure we’ll be speaking fairly soon and I’m really looking forward to it, and Gary McAllister as well.

“Hopefully it will be a good partnership and I heard the coaching staff he is bringing are very good so that can only be a positive.”

Welcome home Al

Glad it happened for you a year later than planned

Supreme effort to get into the condition and form to make it possible

36 going on 26

Not a chance. I’m glad he’s back but it’s a total spit in the face for Lee Wallace for McGregor to take the armband.
The same Wallace that’s currently suspended and we’re apparently trying hard to get shot of? He’s done with us by all accounts mate.

Back