McGregor finished?

Goldson is not the kind of person I'd expect to chuck it. Think it's more likely that he didn't explain himself very well on Sunday or was angry at the team performance and trying to have a dig at team mates. Not defending what he said as it was totally wrong.
It could easily have been clarified in later comments.

Some people won't have a bad word said against McGregor but it is a concern.

Look at the majority of teams we play against in the league, they're never going to outplay us. But you get a team full of hammer throwers and you tell them that for every set piece - fling the ball into the 6 yard area because you know McGregor won't be coming for it. Puts us under so much unnecessary pressure.
You would have hated the flying pig then mate, very rarely ventured off his line, despite this he was surprisingly good and is even mentioned as the best ever, think maybe big Goughie was happy with it that way, but then what the fu() do we know anyway?

Come on mate, the one in the first half with his foot was a good save but it's not something that any good goalkeeper wouldn't get to.

McGregor has made enough world class saves over his career that we don't need to make every 'good' save into a Gordon Banks effort.
I see you avoided my question.
Trying a bit of deflection there?

His reaction double save last night was World Class and hes capable of making those until he retires. He might lose some speed/stretch of movement due to age but the decision making is as sharp as ever.

Question is when it becomes too much of a gamble to rely on one trumping the other more often than not. Hes on a completely different level to our other Goalkeepers and to source a replacement as good as him will cost a lost of money, complicated by the fact when he goes he leaves for nothing.

Alan McGregor is my fave Rangers Goalkeeper of all-time and I dont really want him to pack it in but equally I want him to stop while hes still great and can end on a career high.

55 couldve been the right time but hes showing there still enough left in the tank so 56 and a big European finale seems perfecto.

We need for Greegsy to get into that zone and mindset when he decides no matter the circumstances nocunt is scoring past him.

Hopefully last night was start that.

Not only did Mcgregor pull off 2 unbelievable saves from that passage of play earlier he roasted Borna in the second half. Not content with verbals from distance he jogs out to him during a break in play to make sure he got the message. Welcome back psycho keeper keep it up.
Shortly after the double save, Borna went mental at McGregor for not coming off his line for a through ball from Sparta, so good to see it’s not only one way.

His double save was excellent but could have been avoided by coming off his line and punching that ball,Tav's header also crucial as guy had a tap in at back post.
His kicking as we know is poor,he gave back possession too easily at times.
Great to see him making saves though might give him a confidence boost.

McGregor has always been a world class shot stopper and will continue to make saves that defy belief until hes in his 50's, of that I have no doubt however he has always been average at coming for crossing and below average(for the modern goalkeeper) at kicking.

Last night the save on the 1st half is excellent with his feet but a save your goalie has to make regardless of the standard, the 2 he makes 2nd half are class and worthy of securing us the clean sheet that sees us qualify however on the flip side he has to come out and collect it on his 6 yard line, it's just a big high loopy ball and he has all the space in the world to collect it un impeded.

As I said after Sundays game, overall he has a poor season and is on the decline, the mistakes this season are starting to creep in and he looks slower, our style of play is changing and we need a goalkeeper to match, personally I think last season should have been McGregors last as 1st choice and certainly this season should. Also I would by pass McLaughlin and go straight to McCrorie, he either becomes good enough for us to then have a goalie for the next 10 year or we sell him for good money, time to get our model working

As good a fcuk you as it gets.

Fact is that Greegs didn’t have so much to do last night and still was alert enough to make these two reaction stops.

Great saves. However as said by a few above, he could have avoided the situation by coming for the ball in the first place. We shouldn’t be having to rely on last gasp when the fire should have already been extinguished.

The saves were unbelievable, but he should've came for it. Was resigned to conceding, and he pulls that out?? Fair enough but %^*& me

His double save was typical Alan Mcgregor but he should have came for the ball in that led to the header. Don't think it's unfair to say he hasn't been on it this season though because he hasn't.

Don't understand the OP there have been countless times this season that Mcgregor has not been up to his usual standards and was also not in the team so folk were right to question at the time of some of his performances.

Last night he was excellent.

I'd much rather give praise when given and call it as it is when someone ain't up to scratch (that he sets himself).

That last night was a different team to what we have seen from many of late. Give them the praise due for it, then we move onto Sunday and will see how we perform.

Morelos was useless and lazy and not anywhere near where he can be on Sunday yet last night he was excellent. Just as an example.

Don't understand the OP there have been countless times this season that Mcgregor has not been up to his usual standards and was also not in the team so folk were right to question at the time of some of his performances.

Last night he was excellent.

I'd much rather give praise when given and call it as it is when someone ain't up to scratch (that he sets himself).

That last night was a different team to what we have seen from many of late. Give them the praise due for it, then we move onto Sunday and will see how we perform.

Morelos was useless and lazy and not anywhere near where he can be on Sunday yet last night he was excellent. Just as an example.
Agree ,not all is either black or white.

Last night McGregor was good but there is no denying that he hasn't looked himself this season in many games.

Okay, while we’re discussing hypotheticals, would he have got there, if he hadn’t would there have been somebody on the line to protect him?
And, whilst accepting McLaughlin is the better keeper at coming for crosses, would he have saved the one McGregor did in the first half with his feet?
Bottom line, would you sacrifice McGregor’s clearly superior shot stopping for McLaughlin’s ability at dealing with cross balls?

Why would someone need to be on the line?

Yes McLaughlin would've saved the one in the first half with his feet because it was a fairly standard save for a decent keeper to make.

Yes I would sacrifice McGregor's shot stopping (which has been questionable all season until last night) for McLaughlin's calmness, commanding of his box and distribution. 100%.

Most teams we face domestically will play for set pieces and launch long balls into the box. I'd take McLaughlin in those games every day of the week.

first half i thought he had shaky moments
at one point being ponderous and putting Goldson under pressure
then coming out of the box and not being convincing

then he comes out in the 2nd half and is magnificent

Great save as it was last night it does not detract from his inability to deal with crosses into our six yard box. My own opinion after the goals he has cost us this season has not altered.

He fecked up for me in not coming for a simple catch but somehow got us out of jail by making those cat like reaction saves.
I'm still concerned about this position and our back line.

Why would someone need to be on the line?

Yes McLaughlin would've saved the one in the first half with his feet because it was a fairly standard save for a decent keeper to make.

Yes I would sacrifice McGregor's shot stopping (which has been questionable all season until last night) for McLaughlin's calmness, commanding of his box and distribution. 100%.

Most teams we face domestically will play for set pieces and launch long balls into the box. I'd take McLaughlin in those games every day of the week.
Okay, I don’t agree with you but, that’s okay as well.

first half i thought he had shaky moments
at one point being ponderous and putting Goldson under pressure
then coming out of the box and not being convincing

then he comes out in the 2nd half and is magnificent
My buddy, an ex pro keeper thought the hesitancy might have been down to the two DEFENDERS bearing down on him!

My buddy, an ex pro keeper thought the hesitancy might have been down to the two DEFENDERS bearing down on him!

Top keepers don't hesitate though. Keepers know they're protected and can pretty much get away with wiping players out if needed.

McGregor will always have good reaction saves in him but he is noticeably slower at covering ground this season.

His argument is valid. McGregor's failure to cut out crosses has cost us several times this season already. Blind faith will not change that.
He’s starting to look deranged the way he’s going after McGregor in multiple threads.

its beginning to look really unhealthy.

You’ve written some pish in this thread too.

”not too be trusted”.

We concede corners and it “gives you the fear”.

Usually any post where someone has written “gives me the fear” can be written off as nonsense. But no one else is to blame for your emotional reactions but yourself.

Come on mate, the one in the first half with his foot was a good save but it's not something that any good goalkeeper wouldn't get to.

McGregor has made enough world class saves over his career that we don't need to make every 'good' save into a Gordon Banks effort.
Come on mate, allow people to make their points without turning every reply into a straw man effort ;)

We shouldn’t kid ourselves, it was a great double save but, and it hurts me to say it Greegs needs replaced. Most of the saves he makes are due to him.

Okay, while we’re discussing hypotheticals, would he have got there, if he hadn’t would there have been somebody on the line to protect him?
And, whilst accepting McLaughlin is the better keeper at coming for crosses, would he have saved the one McGregor did in the first half with his feet?
Bottom line, would you sacrifice McGregor’s clearly superior shot stopping for McLaughlin’s ability at dealing with cross balls?
You’re making out as though McLaughlin is hopeless at saving shots.

Whilst also conveniently ignoring the fact that McGregor’s superior shot stopping has been non existent this season and he’s had partial or full blame for at least 4/5 goals or so we’ve conceded which have cost us points.

McLaughlin is a good keeper. I’d have him as number 1 right now. Distribution, cross balls he’s superior to McGregor. Shot stopping you’d have to say McGregor based on last season but this season very much up for debate given how poor he’s been

His saves last night were outstanding but he is in decline and you can see he is starting to slow down a lot.

He’s starting to look deranged the way he’s going after McGregor in multiple threads.

its beginning to look really unhealthy.

You’ve written some pish in this thread too.

”not too be trusted”.

We concede corners and it “gives you the fear”.

Usually any post where someone has written “gives me the fear” can be written off as nonsense. But no one else is to blame for your emotional reactions but yourself.
Tbh every time the opposition get a corner or free kick out wide near our box, I don’t feel confident purely because I know McGregor isn’t coming for it, even if it lands a couple of yards out from his line.

It’s like his feet are glued to his goal line and he point blank refuses to come and relieve pressure from our defenders.

Top keepers don't hesitate though. Keepers know they're protected and can pretty much get away with wiping players out if needed.

McGregor will always have good reaction saves in him but he is noticeably slower at covering ground this season.
I need to give up on this one because I reckon you are posting absolute nonsense now.
All goalkeepers hesitate at times.
To suggest they don’t is childish claptrap.

He’s starting to look mentally unhinged about McGregor. Should probably not reply in any McGregor threads for a while until he’s calmed down
I think you’re right.
I reckon McGregor must have stole his sweeties at some point.
Absolute drivel being spouted now.

Back