mcgregor, how much longer left?

greggakd

how much longer can he play at this level for? a lot of people seem to be thinking this will be his last season, but for me he still has more in the tank, especially after last nights showing. considering edwin van der sar was still starting at Man U at 40, has shagger still got it in him to go another year or 2?

how much longer can he play at this level for? a lot of people seem to be thinking this will be his last season, but for me he still has more in the tank, especially after last nights showing. considering edwin van der sar was still starting at Man U at 40, has shagger still got it in him to go another year or 2?
I’d say he has one more as a minimum. If we’re able to rest him a bit more by playing McLaughlin at times then it will help with any wee niggles he might pick up and keep him going for longer.

I think McGregor mite still have a few years left at the top level Maybay just rested a bit more like Buffon the older he get the less he plays but still there for the influence and performs at the top level when called upon , think he’s what about 43/44 now

Depends how long before he regresses last night shows he's still doing the business on the European stage so could be 1/2 year or he might do a davie weir and play well into his 40s

Last season I said this season would be his last season. But now I am thinking next season will be his last.

Wish he could stay on forever.

A good indication will be whether or not he has the spring in his legs to get to shots a good distance away from his body. When he starts to lose that he’ll either move on or chuck it. His reaction speed was still there last night too and doesn’t look like leaving him anytime soon. If that starts to wane, he’ll know his time at the highest level is up.

Bet the" big man",has asked himself the same questions many times,he will be first to know, will he let us down, I don't think so!

i thought it was over for him to be honest, but my thoughts were 100% wrong, hopefully he can play on for at least another season. He’s unbelievable when he plays, never lets us down.

Contrary to myth, goalies actually peak in their performance levels in their 20's like most others players and athletes.

In fact, stats prove it's all downhill for footballers after only 25/26. Thought defenders actually got better? Well think again according to the stats.

Of course, this is all down to the individuals raw talent as well but no goalkeeper statisically improves after 30 apparently.

Interesting link here for anyone that wants to read:

Goalkeeper Age Analysis

I think dino zoff played till around 40.
Mcgregor will be 39 in January.
Split the duties with mclaughlin for the next couple of years

Fock. 39? How time flies.

He was fantastic during the week i thought.

A season or two might be on the cards.

I hope he goes into coaching with us as i reckon he can pass on his experience.

No disrespect to who is already there.

I reckon he will have to surrender the jersey when the coaching/management teams decide that the cons outweigh the pros, taking into account the goalkeeping talent in the squad at that particular time.

Last season I said this season would be his last season. But now I am thinking next season will be his last.

Wish he could stay on forever.
I think it will all depend on winning the league, if we win it then he will go out at the top with a treble in his last season, if we don’t then he sill have another punt

I think it will all depend on winning the league, if we win it then he will go out at the top with a treble in his last season, if we don’t then he sill have another punt
Not that I want him to retire but hope to f he's going out with a treble this season.

No reason he can't keep playing for the next 3 years. If he is still fit, sharp and agile then why not. He certainly doesnt seem to be close to retiring. McLaughlin will play more than what we thought, but mcgregor will be pushing him all the way. With mccrorie coming back next season the goalkeeping situation looks like one we don't need to worry about

Depends if he can stay injury free - which he is more likely to do if his work load is minimised this season. He won’t manage playing twice weekly with training and will get bored and stale if he’s not playing. Therefore it makes perfect sense for him and mclaughs to be rotated.

Couple of more years, will be a sad day when he retires. So many great memories with McGregor and he has got us out of jail on a lot of occasions over his whole Rangers career.

Will go down as one of our best ever goalkeepers.

No reason he can't keep playing for the next 3 years. If he is still fit, sharp and agile then why not. He certainly doesnt seem to be close to retiring. McLaughlin will play more than what we thought, but mcgregor will be pushing him all the way. With mccrorie coming back next season the goalkeeping situation looks like one we don't need to worry about

McCrorie is a million miles away from even being in the position to challenge for our number one position.

McCrorie is a million miles away from even being in the position to challenge for our number one position.
No he isn't. He's a couple years away from being our number 1. He's learning his trade at smaller clubs, exactly like McGregor did at st johnstone and dunfermline.

Shagger will still be around for a while yet, I believe he still has the enthusiasm and the drive to continue at this level. Two /three seasons at least.

Let's see if he maintains that level of performance every week. The saves were more or less straight at him ( he still has to save them right enough) and he got away with one early on.

Not playing him down as he did what he is there to do. Not getting carried away either as he had more than a few sloppy moments last season.

Good headache for a manager to have though.

No he isn't. He's a couple years away from being our number 1. He's learning his trade at smaller clubs, exactly like McGregor did at st johnstone and dunfermline.

It’s all about opinions mate but his performances for Livingston have done nothing to convince me that he is anywhere near to challenging for a number 1 position at Ibrox. I’m not saying he won’t become number 1 at some point but he has a lot of learning and improving to do before even be considered ready for our squad.

Contrary to myth, goalies actually peak in their performance levels in their 20's like most others players and athletes.

In fact, stats prove it's all downhill for footballers after only 25/26. Thought defenders actually got better? Well think again according to the stats.

Of course, this is all down to the individuals raw talent as well but no goalkeeper statisically improves after 30 apparently.

Interesting link here for anyone that wants to read:

Goalkeeper Age Analysis
Stats are for the mark warburtons of this world. For example stats say raheem Sterling is world class. Or Lego is a great footballer.

I do think shared responsibility will be the key to keeping both active and hungry. We are fortunate that we have been so skilled in my lifetime at identifying quality keepers.

Judging by last night, he'll decide.

Wee stint in McLaughlin's shadow has clearly been no bad thing. Probably enjoying the space to just focus on being the best he can be for as long as possible, long may that continue.

I don't think McGregor will be happy if he's not guaranteed being the 1st choice for almost every game.

I also don't think that any kind of coaching role would be something he'd be interested in or capable of doing. You can't pass on his level of ability and he's never appeared to me as being disciplined enough to be a coach.

If Gerrard rotates, or plays McLaughlin more than McGregor, I think he'll ask for a transfer or try and negotiate a move.

Stats are for the mark warburtons of this world. For example stats say raheem Sterling is world class. Or Lego is a great footballer.

I don't disagree.

They are though stats 'cause they're true.

Just thought I'd put it out there.

For what it's worth, I'd play Alan every game.

Oh and the stats show lego is absolutely awful.

I don't disagree.

They are though stats 'cause they're true.

Just thought I'd put it out there.

For what it's worth, I'd play Alan every game.

Oh and the stats show lego is absolutely awful.
Ha obviously I don’t read them. That does surprise me

Hes arguably earned the right to decide himself when to call it. That said I think we need to find his long term replacement sooner rather than later. McLaughlin has done nothing wrong, but im not sure hes the long term solution either. Maybe McCrorie will step up, but hes had a shaky season so far.

Back