McGregor should play tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume that if tonight’s match finishes level it will end up going to penalties.

McGregor has had a pretty good success rate at penalties over the years, so this might be a factor in deciding who takes the keeper’s slot tonight.

I assume that if tonight’s match finishes level it will end up going to penalties.

McGregor has had a pretty good success rate at penalties over the years, so this might be a factor in deciding who takes the keeper’s slot tonight.
16/17 out of 50(ish) pens , good record.

McLaughlin should keep the jersey, he hasn’t done anything wrong. People have this blind spot for McGregor and the mistakes he makes. He’s not the gk he used to be, the second half of last season showed that. McLaughlin is yet to make a mistake, and even if he does make a mistake at some point, he’s overall a better gk now than McGregor. He commands his box much better than McGregor and I don’t think there’s much between there shot stopping.

McGregor should be playing every game

Hes borderline world class if hes not

Absolutely mental to be messing around with that position some of the saves he pulls of are just out of this world!

Absolutely mental to be messing around with that position some of the saves he pulls of are just out of this world!
He wasn’t even world class at his peak, c’mon mate. Don’t be daft, I love old McGregor and he’s rightfully a hero. But world class goalkeepers don’t play in the championship for Hull.

He has made some world class saves and is an excellent shot stopper (usually) but he has some howlers. Then add in the fact he’s not great with the ball and is glued to his line half the time.

Last edited:
Yes by far.

I think their careers to date proves it.

IMO McLaughlins clean sheets were down to the 10 men infront of him not giving our opponents a sniff. Over the 6 games he played I can't remember him pulling off a save you wouldn't expect a Rangers keeper to make.

Last edited:
Yes by far.

I think their careers to date proves it.

IMO McLaughlins clean sheets were down to the 10 men infront of him not giving our opponents a sniff. Over the 6 games he played I can't remember him pulling off a save you wouldn't expect a Rangers keeper to make.
Surely leaving a far better keeper on the bench on Sunday was gross incompetence on Gerrard’s part then?

Another case of McGregor manlove I think.

Why do we need to rotate keepers?

McLaughlin hasn't let us down, he should remain in the goals.

I can't think of any one from Liverpool, Manchester City, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich etc that feel the need to rotate keepers. You know, clubs that win trophies.

If the team hadn't defended like amateurs at the weekend McLaughlin would still be on a clean sheet.

We need to rotate because it’s a long season, it reduces chances of injury and playing every week keeps both keepers sharp.

Surely leaving a far better keeper on the bench on Sunday was gross incompetence on Gerrard’s part then?

Another case of McGregor manlove I think.

When he consistently played guys like Ejaria, Coulibaly, Worrall, Ojo etc. was that gross incompetence?

He played the same back 5 that had played the last 6 games together.

McGregor will be back in the team soon enough.

Thinking a guy with that has made about 400 appearnaces for us, won about 15 trophies and has 42 scotland caps is better than a league 1 keeper isn't man love.

Lost 2 goals (in so long) and while like him a lot he loses the spot and shagger gets back to number 1 is the very simple way i see it

When he consistently played guys like Ejaria, Coulibaly, Worrall, Ojo etc. was that gross incompetence?

He played the same back 5 that had played the last 6 games together.

McGregor will be back in the team soon enough.
Can’t really compare selecting and rotating outfield players to leaving a far better, according to you, keeper on the bench.

McGregor played in the previous game.

McLaughlin has pulled off a handful of outstanding saves by the way, you’re just choosing to ignore theM to suit your narrative.

What’s your thoughts on McGregors distribution and overall command of his area?

Can’t really compare selecting and rotating outfield players to leaving a far better, according to you, keeper on the bench.

McGregor played in the previous game.

McLaughlin has pulled off a handful of outstanding saves by the way, you’re just choosing to ignore theM to suit your narrative.

What’s your thoughts on McGregors distribution and overall command of his area?
Wasn't really rotation, they played every week.

His distribution at times is poor but he commands his box just as well as McLaughlin.

The narrative that McLaughlin somehow dominates his box is false. More than a few times he's come for balls and has caught nothing but thin air.

McLaughlin has done nothing that merits being dropped.

I’m not sure about this way of thinking.

If Messi misses a couple games, and the guy who plays instead of him scores a goal or two, does Messi become backup and sit on the bench? For how long, until the other guy has an injury or a shocking game?

I’m really surprised I’m in the minority here who think McGregor should be first choice.

Changing keeper would be similar to changing the defence imo
Our back 4 were more at fault than McLaughlin for conceding against hiv's imo

I'm a big McGregor fan by the way
If the gaffer sees fit to change keepers then so be it - but I'd still prefer some continuity meantime

Anyone coming back from injury needs to warrant their place & win it back from the player who currently is first choice

McLaughlin hasn't done anything wrong imo

Wasn't really rotation, they played every week.

His distribution at times is poor but he commands his box just as well as McLaughlin.

The narrative that McLaughlin somehow dominates his box is false. More than a few times he's come for balls and has caught nothing but thin air.

He’s also flapped at a couple crosses, pushing it back into danger.

I’m not sure about this way of thinking.

If Messi misses a couple games, and the guy who plays instead of him scores a goal or two, does Messi become backup and sit on the bench? For how long, until the other guy has an injury or a shocking game?

I’m really surprised I’m in the minority here who think McGregor should be first choice.
:))

Cracking analogy mate. Using arguably the greatest football player ever to argue that McGregor should be playing.

Cracking analogy mate. Using arguably the greatest football player ever to argue that McGregor should be playing.

Haha. I mean I feel it’s a relevant point, albeit an obvious extreme example.

Yes, McLaughlin has been good, not disputing that.
But irrespective, in my opinion we have a keeper of a level above him who is now fit again and should be back in the team.

I was really happy with McLaughlin signing him as I always rated him at Hearts and I caught a few Sunderland games.

However, I believe McGregor to be the best at producing the big saves when required so I'd go for him.

A few people seem to be taking anyone suggesting McGregor a bit too personally. They are both good. But big games need big players.

McLaughlin has been superb for us so far IMO. Deserves to keep his place. Let's not forget McGregor had a good few howlers last season plus he never comes out to command his box at set pieces.

The analogy makes perfect sense to me mate.

To put it more on our level, if Defoe nabs a couple over the next few games, does he keep Buff out for the piggery? Of course not.

McGregor is not world class, he has been a very good keeper over the years and has brought off some great saves but he has now got genuine competition for the position and as MacLaughlin is the man in possession he should retain the job for this game. In saying that i wouldn't be upset if McGregor was chosen instead.

The analogy makes perfect sense to me mate.

To put it more on our level, if Defoe nabs a couple over the next few games, does he keep Buff out for the piggery? Of course not.
Totally different types of player so I don’t think that analogy makes sense either.

If Balogun was to come in and have a couple of great games then the in form player would keep the jersey for me.

I have more confidence in McLaughlin’s all round ability as a keeper, it’s as simple as that as far as my opinion goes.

Shot stopping and penalties? McGregor all day.

Well yes, that's how opinions work but what do you base that on?
I base it on having seen McGregor play as a goalkeeper and McLaughlin play as a goalkeeper. I deem McGregor to be the better goalkeeper. McGregor played last week and pulled off a brilliant save so he appears to be fully fit. Therefore I would play McGregor.

McLaughlin hasn't done anything to deserve being dropped.

McGregor is the better keeper of the two (comfortably).

Both assertions are correct imo.

GK is one of the only positions I don’t think we should chop and change. I prefer McGregor. He’s been over the course countless times and is generally very reliable. I’d have him as our number 1 unless he had a pretty big downturn in form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back