McInnes did not outsmart Gerrard

Chapman billie

I am sick of hearing this and of how he has Gerrard's number. His only tactic was to get everyone behind the ball, kick anyone in blue and hope for Rangers to make mistakes. It worked this time and the last two games in Glasgow. It didn't work at Pittodrie and the master tactician sits 8 points behind us. Does anyone genuinely wish he was our manager or believe that his team of cloggers are a better side than us? People say our season is over and it probably is. But so is Aberdeen's On Tuesday they achieved the only thing that really matters to them. They did it by fair means or foul - mainly foul.

Don’t think I’ve seen anyone suggesting he should be our manager because of this . You point out how easy it was for them and their tactics are so simple . The point most are making is we have no answer to it . Been the same most of the season and results like Tuesday are a major cause for concern .

I am sick of hearing this and of how he has Gerrard's number. His only tactic was to get everyone behind the ball, kick anyone in blue and hope for Rangers to make mistakes. It worked this time and the last two games in Glasgow. It didn't work at Pittodrie and the master tactician sits 8 points behind us. Does anyone genuinely wish he was our manager or believe that his team of cloggers are a better side than us? People say our season is over and it probably is. But so is Aberdeen's On Tuesday they achieved the only thing that really matters to them. They did it by fair means or foul - mainly foul.
He didn't outsmart Gerrard for sure. But he knows that by sticking 10 men behind the ball tjat he has a chance. Why? Because he knows that Gerrard does not have midfielders at his disposal to break the lines. Until a quality number 10 is signed that's always going to be a problem

I don't want McInnes but saying he's 8 points behind isn't really a great stat to have a go at him. He has a fraction of the budget to play with, he should be behind. It took real mismanagement to let them finish 2nd

If his (McInnes) only tactic is to pile players behind the ball and kick anyone in a blue shirt then frankly our gaffer should know this and adjust the formation/starting 11 accordingly.

Last edited:
McInnes has 12 years of managerial experience. His teams and tactics are absolutely brutal to watch, and he is undoubtedly a wee prick, but he knows how to get results in this league. Nobody can deny that.

Part of Gerrard's learning curve as a manager will be trying to overcome teams put out by experienced guys like him, Clarke and Lennon. He's struggled so far but I'll give him longer than 8 months ffs.

He didn’t outsmart him, he does the same thing every game. Man for man across the pitch, professional fouling and counter attacks.

The problem is our default style of play doesn’t match up well against that system and we never change it. We’re reliant on a fast counter attacking style and we play against a low block every week.

There’s a reason we’ve looked great in Europe at times and awful domestically.

Yeah his tactics against us are defend at all costs and try the odd break away. Sadly it has worked. We need to be smarter but his tactics are abysmal.

Be tough to break down. Push the wingers out wide and your CB can clear the crosses. Defend and hoof, try and catch them on the break if you can/ if they make a mistake capitalise.

That's how to play us. Especially in that weather. Hoofing it up the park and not caring about possession also nullifies our pressing game. It wasn't a tactical masterclass. But we played right into their hands.

Early days in the SG reign! I personally think he will do well. Are the mhanks setting up a multi million compensation scheme like Manchester City? No I thought not! But they will pay albeit screaming and stamping their left feet.

McInnes’ side has beaten us more times than Gerrard’s side has beaten the sheep.

Don’t know whether you call it out-smarting, or luck or whatever but I wish Gerrard had it instead of McInnes in our games against each other.

The biggest problem for me is Aberdeen wanted it more. Win the battle and the talent will take over. We haven’t won the battles.

We have a squad mainly made up of players that have never won a trophy in their career. Is there a reason for that?

Between a decade and two ago we were blessed to have players who were far too good for scottish football and who could have held their own in England or any big league in the world. Our current crop are scottish level and are very fortunate to play for our club.

Im delighted McInnes isnt manager at Ibrox but you can paint it up however you like he has got the better of Gerrard this season.

Dont matter how you do it either. Id take shite football aslong as it brought wins.

I don't want McInnes but saying he's 8 points behind isn't really a great stat to have a go at him. He has a fraction of the budget to play with, he should be behind. It took real mismanagement to let them finish 2nd

Their wins were caused by our mistakes, not McInnes being a tactician of any sort never mind being better than SG, how do you break down a ten man defence? with quality that's how, when you have players who can give and take a pass precisely and at speed, movent off the ball to disrupt them and the ability and desire to go around your opponent all those things nullifies cloggers, we have seen the mhanks destroyed in Europe by teams possessing these attributes that's not to say we need Messi as skills are relative in terms of the league you play in.

We were far too slow out of the blocks on Tuesday night and paid a heavy price. To be 'fannying' about trying to play the 'tippy tappy' game inside our own half in the first few minutes of a Scottish Cup replay was ridiculous. Aberdeen didn't attempt to do anything like that at any stage of the game, yet we did. I can grudgingly accept when we lose a goal to good football, but the way by which we lost that first goal was practically criminal and totally avoidable. Our team's attitude was poor right from the start on Tuesday and that, imo, was something that could not be said about the team we were playing against.

I don't want McInnes any where near Ibrox but he's got the better of us this season and neither or players nor manager had any answers, especially in the cup.

Remember when people moaned about Rangers style of play when reaching a UEFA Cup final - not a single %^*& was given by any of us, so we can't have a go at a lesser side giving their all and setting up in a brutal way to try to beat us.

The gap between the sides in the league is such because Aberdeen are not capable of creating chances and scoring enough goals to win games against lesser sides. They haven't managed to replace Rooney and despite what we all think about McInnes and his spoiler tactics, its probably the only way he can set Aberdeen up against us as coming out would be suicide - as was proven when we won at Pittodrie.

The frustration from Tuesday lies in the fact that these tactics aren't new and have been employed in every game against us. Sadly we've always lost or dropped points these games (and numerous others) when we concede first and give teams a lead to defend.

He'll rightly revel in the limelight at the minute, but it extends Aberdeen's season by a further month and a likely 3rd or 4th place finish. Coupled with the likely loss of GMS and Shinnie, they are a team going backwards unless there's a influx of quality in the summer - something unlikely when they've a £50m+ stadium to finance.

They also targeted Morelos - I'm quite sure they were told to give him a push or a dunt, not enough to be given a foul but enough to cause him to go down

he probably told his players not to leave the field without a yellow card, I wish we had the same attitude

The biggest problem for me is Aberdeen wanted it more. Win the battle and the talent will take over. We haven’t won the battles.

We have a squad mainly made up of players that have never won a trophy in their career. Is there a reason for that?

Between a decade and two ago we were blessed to have players who were far too good for scottish football and who could have held their own in England or any big league in the world. Our current crop are scottish level and are very fortunate to play for our club.

this!!!
against Hibs & the Sheep it was going to be a physical battle as much as anything.
we needed players on the park to match that and we didn't.
Teams still know we can be knocked off our game and with no Plan B we are there to be taken
everyone knew Aberdeen's tactics before the game, They knew ours, they adapted to win and we didn't

He's certainly got his team more street wise. Though, if we played the same way, we'd be left with 8 players on the field.

He has a team that don’t make barrel loads of mistakes under a bit of pressure.

From back to front, we unfortunately do.

He's got the better of us in 5 out of the 6 games.

Would I want him? Not a chance.

He has had about 10 years management experience ahead of SG.

#10 wide players that can score and hit the bye line and cut it back to the said #10..
Need upgrades in many positions IMO with present players being retained as squad players.
Don't forget the mentally challengeds team is going to need a major rebuild in the summer.
I'm not sure they have money to replace them, loans all going back to parent clubs.
For me were already a bit more stable come the start of next season than the mentally challengeds.
Broon is done and Rogic keeps getting injured and only lasts a hour when fit.

People denying the obvious truth is quite disappointing.

Say whatever you want about his agriculture tactics, if they work against us, then of course it's clever to play them.

Draws - 2
Rangers victories - 1
Sheep victories - 3

We have the better players and bigger budget.

The only conclusion I can draw is indeed that McInnes did outsmart Gerrard.

Rangers victories 1
Scum victories 1

Steven Gerrard is every bit as good a manager as Brendan Rodgers. See what I did there.

Rangers victories 1
Scum victories 1

Steven Gerrard is every bit as good a manager as Brendan Rodgers. See what I did there.

Your sample size is 2.

Mine is 6.

See what I did there?

Plus we are not talking about who is the better manager. The question is whether McInnes outsmarted him. Well done for making two errors.

Football to make your eyes bleed. Anyone ever see them take a quick short free kick? No, Lewis humps it as far up the park to their thugs. Percentage hoofball a la Wimbledon. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Having said that, we need to be able to counter these tactics. Either Kent or Candeias has to be sacrificed, Jack, or McCrorie right in front of back four (stops Goldson humping the ball out of play)
Three in midfield, Arfield, Kamara and Jack or McCrorie. Kent or Candeias wide. Alfredo up top.

Your sample size is 2.

Mine is 6.

See what I did there?

Sample size is completely irrelevant in both our quotes. A better cutting edge and stronger referees and I have no doubt we win the majority of the games.

FFS half the games have been refereed by Clancy and one for McLean who have made decisions which hugely influenced the games.

Sample size is completely irrelevant in both our quotes. A better cutting edge and stronger referees and I have no doubt we win the majority of the games.

FFS half the games have been refereed by Clancy and one for McLean who have made decisions which hugely influenced the games.

You put words in my mouth mate by saying Gerrard is as good a manager as Brenda. I didn't comment on who the better manager was out of McInnes and Gerrard - I just said the former has outsmarted the latter.

You put words in my mouth mate by saying Gerrard is as good a manager as Brenda. I didn't comment on who the better manager was out of McInnes and Gerrard - I just said the former has outsmarted the latter.

Fair enough but I strongly disagree. I think McInnes has been unbelievably lucky. As I said stronger refs and I believe the results would be in our favour.

We would not be allowed to match them in a physical game. If we were refereed fairly we would not only be in the semie final but would be top of the league. Until the club or SG address this, I can not see this changing next season regardless of who we sign

Back