McInnes did not outsmart Gerrard

Some guys love doing this kind of stuff so if anyone wants to work out the stats for all the games against Dolly combined id love to see them .We will have had way more shots, corners , possesion etc etc but the bottom line ..at crucial moments they have scored and a big part of it all is McKinnes has rode his luck .

Why did McInnesiola fail to win three games then?

The two draws he got were better results for them than they were for us.

He’s beaten us three times in Glasgow.

We’ve beaten them once.

I’m not going to pick apart why McInnes didn’t win all 6, he doesn’t need to. He’s done enough to say he’s got the better of us with the results so far.

The two draws he got were better results for them than they were for us.

He’s beaten us three times in Glasgow.

We’ve beaten them once.

I’m not going to pick apart why McInnes didn’t win all 6, he doesn’t need to. He’s done enough to say he’s got the better of us with the results so far.
I give up.

Some guys love doing this kind of stuff so if anyone wants to work out the stats for all the games against Dolly combined id love to see them .We will have had way more shots, corners , possesion etc etc but the bottom line ..at crucial moments they have scored and a big part of it all is McKinnes has rode his luck .
He’s such a good manager, he has managed to steer his side to eight points behind Rangers in the biggest tournament of the season.

McInnes set his team up well against us and they pounced on our mistakes. Considine, McKenna and Shinnie were brilliant battlers and we didn’t have answer.

Aberdeen arent a better footballing team than us and the results still don’t justify people saying McIness would make a good appointment. Aberdeen this season have struggled on many occasions to break down teams on a fraction of their budget and that is reflected in their league position behind us.

We are effectively the best counter attacking team in the league but when teams park the bus, give us no space and are well drilled we are struggling to get through. Gerrard needs to learn how to adjust his tactics for the type of game we’re playing.

Until we improve penetration from midfield our wingers must stop wasting most crosses, shoot on sight and also stop fannying about out wide. Get balls in early, cut down on the sand dancing, running into traffic and wee interchanges that do nothing but waste time.
These are the negatives some of us are seeing Gerrard make time after time against shyte like Aberdeen but he never seems to play any other way hence why people just can’t see us improving. Throwing high balls into the box against poor players on the deck, is that really what Gerrard is all about.
Steven Gerrard quote “anytime Ross McCrorie is fit he will be in my team”
now I’m not saying Ross is perfect but against hackers like Aberdeen surely such players have to come into consideration.

He’s such a good manager, he has managed to steer his side to eight points behind Rangers in the biggest tournament of the season.

Your problem is you’ve misunderstood half the posts on this thread.

Most are saying in the head to head games McInnes has indeed outsmarted Gerrard. The stats show that, and anyone who suffered through the games could tell you that.

It’s not about who the better manager is. It’s that when it comes down to us vs them, he has Gerrards number.

Your problem is you’ve misunderstood half the posts on this thread.

Most are saying in the head to head games McInnes has indeed outsmarted Gerrard. The stats show that, and anyone who suffered through the games could tell you that.

It’s not about who the better manager is. It’s that when it comes down to us vs them, he has Gerrards number.
Doesn’t make it any better.
I’m now thinking beating the sheep is more important than how we finish in the league!
Oh, and I still don’t believe this “has his number” crap.

We would not be allowed to match them in a physical game. If we were refereed fairly we would not only be in the semie final but would be top of the league. Until the club or SG address this, I can not see this changing next season regardless of who we sign

The biggest influencer on the game was Clancy with the 20 mistakes he made - including some against Aberdeen (one)

There was %^*& all tactical masterclass from Aberdeen.

They sat back, they relied on a mistake for a first goal and they took advantage of us pushing for an equaliser.

There have been extremely limited moments, over every game we've played them this season, wherein they've looked 'dangerous'.

They rode their luck throughout and pinged long hopeful balls.

If we are even slightly clinical, we smash the kants every time we play them.

Been saying this since Warburton. None of these no marks are tactical geniuses.

Some people have really short memories. Walter and Dick did not tactically outsmart most other Spl managers, they were fortunate enough to have a budget that allowed them to bring in a few guys that could win you a football match regardless of the opposition managers "tactics".

Not taking anything away from Walter or Dick either, takes a good manager to get the most out if players, even top international pros like Gazza, Laudrup, De Boer etc

So what you’re saying Is Gerrard doesn’t have the budget to be beating sides like Aberdeen regularly? Or at least avoiding defeat?

on tuesday they got a gift - sat back & only our failure to make a killer pass meant they clung on to hit on the break for the 2nd - thats not taking the ref into account

no gift - would they have won?
maybe not

we dominated them up there in the first game with 10 men
we dominated them in the 4-2 game
we were the better team in the 1-0 league defeat but was just another one of those nights for us

cup game up there - we were horrendous but they hardly played us off the park - more like they were slightly less worse

only game where we've been way off the pace was the cup semi

all IMO
SG needs to learn how to combat negative teams like Aberdeen.
Kilmarnock , under Clarke, employ similar tactics, and he's deemed a genius.I don't think so.
Until we have genuine quality creative players in the middle of the park, we will not progress.
McInness, Clarke style of football , no thanks.

on tuesday they got a gift - sat back & only our failure to make a killer pass meant they clung on to hit on the break for the 2nd - thats not taking the ref into account

no gift - would they have won?
maybe not

we dominated them up there in the first game with 10 men
we dominated them in the 4-2 game
we were the better team in the 1-0 league defeat but was just another one of those nights for us

cup game up there - we were horrendous but they hardly played us off the park - more like they were slightly less worse

only game where we've been way off the pace was the cup semi

all IMO
All good points.
However, its a results driven business.
Except when you look at the league table for evidence.

SG needs to learn how to combat negative teams like Aberdeen.
Kilmarnock , under Clarke, employ similar tactics, and he's deemed a genius.I don't think so.
Until we have genuine quality creative players in the middle of the park, we will not progress.
McInness, Clarke style of football , no thanks.
He also needs to learn to combat teams who have players playing 10,20,50% above their actual ability and with infinitely more desperation.
I watched a game on holiday just there and there was wee stramash in the penalty box.
The ball broke to a forward about the penalty box line who shot and scored.
Might have bee Man City v Wolves.
Anyway, the guy who scored, had a clear shot.
Compare with the desperation demonstrated by the Hibs players blocking Rangers shots.
This is what we’ve got to overcome.

Last edited:
So what you’re saying Is Gerrard doesn’t have the budget to be beating sides like Aberdeen regularly? Or at least avoiding defeat?

No I think the budget he's had over the last 2 windows should, on paper at least, be enough to gather together an 11-18 players that are capable of beating teams like Aberdeen more often than not. However football isn't played on paper and therefore you can't ignore these fact that it's not easy to come into a club, rip apart, rebuild it's squad and then have to go out within half a season and compete with teams that have maintained the spine of their side and a decent amount of their core players over a number of yearsyears despite the disparity in budgets. If the difference in budget was more extreme I'd happily concede that rebuilding a squad is irrelevant. I wouldnt have made that excuse for Dick for instance.

That's not to say Aberdeen haven't lost important players, couldn't name them tbh but I know they have but their manager hasn't been faced with a massive rebuild every summer for 3 years running has he.

Personally I think our seasons failings are a confluence of a few things. Rookie manager, inexperienced players in key areas of the park leading to poor decision making in both attack and defence and no small amount of really bad refereeing.

Aberdeen is probably the best team of the rest, challenged Hibs for that dubious honour. They may attempt football against one another or the lessers, but against us, it is backs-to-the-walls and counter attacks.

People will sure say: look at our games and what he has achieved. True enough. Yet, look at McInnes`reign at Pittodrie and tell me, what has he ACHIEVED? Gerrard had probably more games in Europe this season than McInnes in his entire reign there. Trophies? Scottish League Cup 2013/14 ... i.e. one trophy out of 15 possible ones. Make that 16, as they lost the League Cup Final against the Scum this season too. Saying now that he's better than Gerrard is IMHO showing a Scottish sort of mentality ... i.e. getting small victories here and there and some national acclaim, but if you look at the bigger picture, you still end up a loser. No disrespect whatsoever to the Scots in general BTW, just an observation. There is a reason why Scottish football on an international level, club- and nation-wise, is where it is for the last decade or two. People like McInnes and the way he sets up his teams are very much the reason why this is the case.

I am sick of hearing this and of how he has Gerrard's number. His only tactic was to get everyone behind the ball, kick anyone in blue and hope for Rangers to make mistakes. It worked this time and the last two games in Glasgow. It didn't work at Pittodrie and the master tactician sits 8 points behind us. Does anyone genuinely wish he was our manager or believe that his team of cloggers are a better side than us? People say our season is over and it probably is. But so is Aberdeen's On Tuesday they achieved the only thing that really matters to them. They did it by fair means or foul - mainly foul.
The results say different. Will we just carry on doing the same thing?

He didn't outsmart Gerrard for sure. But he knows that by sticking 10 men behind the ball tjat he has a chance. Why? Because he knows that Gerrard does not have midfielders at his disposal to break the lines. Until a quality number 10 is signed that's always going to be a problem

And two top strikers, hopefully a big bruiser with talent, who can put himself about, and put the ball in the net on a regular basis.

Back