McInnes - for and against

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
For
Decent win rate at Aberdeen; had them as 'second force' albeit mainly without us in league; knows club and played for us; is young enough to learn; is maybe right man for where we are now - behind schedule in where we want to be. Maybe he can establish us as 'second force' and banish the banter years for good; is available and would come.

Against

Win rate lower than Warburton; one trophy in whole time we were on 'the journey'; no track record re youth development; poor European qualifying (we can talk, ha!); dubious mentally challenged back room team; HUGE outlay for us to get his services; not very exciting brand of football; failed at last 'big job' although club was badly run it seems; sent to bitch school by our U20 coach.

My assumption is that the board feel he can get us where they feel we should already be, i.e. he is to undo the problems created by late period MW and all of Pedro. I'm not very enthused (am I ever?) but can see some sense in it...sobering that we couldn't get a single affordable option in 6 weeks. We are very much at a low ebb in terms of budgets and maybe it's time for me and others to realign our ambition, temporarily at least.

What do you think?

It's a lazy, uninspiring, unimaginative, parochial appointment.

Questions have to be asked of this board and how far they can take this club with such low levels of investment which just keep us 'ticking over'. This can't go on much longer. mentally challengeds will continue to sweep the boards - and then where will the fan's patience be ??!

Espanyolification has landed.

Your latter point - we've waited 6 weeks and not a single 'name' has came up. Perhaps the board should simply have gone for McInnes straight away. Would have provided some energy to the appointment, dynamism, this is our man. Now it's all a bit dispiriting. We're going for him because nothing else and no-one else came up. We know that and he knows that. Not a great start for either of us.

I think he'll put an end to some of the debacles we've witnessed even under Warburton and Caixinha. Won't get our pants pulled down in public. He'll be solid, pragmatic, not glamorous - perhaps a mini-Walter!

The backroom team is ill-advised. It will count against him at the first hint of anything going wrong.

Win rate lower than Warburton? You're not comparing two Rangers managers stats here.

That's like me saying I've had more success with the ladies than Gok Wan ( which is probably not true anyway ).

You can't compare win stats between the two. Warburton also managed a season in the Championship, so his winrate isn't really relevant.

Questions have to be asked of this board and how far they can take this club with such low levels of investment which just keep us 'ticking over'. This can't go on much longer. mentally challengeds will continue to sweep the boards - and then where will the fan's patience be ??!

Complete and utter bullshit,

The term Espanyolification is also retarded.

Take him with the plan that he can and will stabilize and cement second and close the gap. If he surprises and performs well, great.

At the same time I'd be investing in Murty. Continue to allow him to take the 20's, ensure he gets as much exposure to coaching courses as possible, build his relationship with the DOF and Scouting setup etc, send him to spend time with some of the best clubs and sports organizations as we can and when the time comes for McInnes to move on, give it to Murty.

The pros and cons don't matter one little bit now - he is going to be the manager and deserves 100% positive backing.

exactly what I was going to say. HE will be the rangers manager and nothing constructive to be gained from looking at irrelevant comparisons with all due respect mate

6 weeks for this !!

A new manager should have us all excited and there should be a big sense of anticipation and a buzz around the place. We have none of that because our board have fannied around and gone for the lazy option we all knew they would the second Pedro was sacked. It;s just all boring now and a all a bit "meh". They have created this disappointed atmosphere.

I don't want McInnes but I don't blame him for all this mess. The board have shown lack of leadership, strength and ambition. They are the ones we need to question.

I think we need to see a bit of stability and consistency on the park, and I think we'll get that from McInnes.

Whether he can take it a step further and have us realistically challenging the filth remains to be seen, and certainly that will depend on the budget he's given & the quality of player he can bring in.

Will be interesting to see how our players respond to his style of management, will he get more out of the likes of Windass, Pena etc ?

Your latter point - we've waited 6 weeks and not a single 'name' has came up. Perhaps the board should simply have gone for McInnes straight away. Would have provided some energy to the appointment, dynamism, this is our man. Now it's all a bit dispiriting. We're going for him because nothing else and no-one else came up. We know that and he knows that. Not a great start for either of us.

I think he'll put an end to some of the debacles we've witnessed even under Warburton and Caixinha. Won't get our pants pulled down in public. He'll be solid, pragmatic, not glamorous - perhaps a mini-Walter!

The backroom team is ill-advised. It will count against him at the first hint of anything going wrong.

Bang on the money for me, I'll support him but his appointment is unflattering to say the least.

For:

He will win us more games than we've had since Smith left the Club (aside from Ally's fiasco in the Sunday leagues of course).

We will no longer be bullied, outfought or out-muscled as we were under McCoist, Warburton and PC.

I totally agree. This thing about doing well at Aberdeen gets to me. Someone had to be second when we were out of the league. Were they really that good though? He had them ahead of the scum by something like 7 points a couple of seasons back and they went into free fall and couldn't hack the pressure of such a lead. One win over Inverness in the League Cup (on pens after a no-score draw) isn't terribly impressive to me. I just don't think we have any other viable options as we seem brassic and it seems there's no prospect of any serious input of cash on the horizon. It's utterly depressing that this is the best we seem able to aim for. My only crumb of comfort is I felt exactly the same way in early 1986 and things changed rapidly, not that I can see a Souness like manager landing any time soon. We can but hope things work out for the good.

He's the appointment we should have made this time last year when it was clear Warburton was a waster. The board took a gamble on Pedro which failed spectacularly.

I have kept out of Managerial debate so far. On basis that there was /is no outstanding candidate, and also in the grand scheme of things, my opinion would not influence any outcome, for better or worse.
If it is to be DM, then so be it.
I don't like his assistants, but if he is the Rangers manager, then I will support him until he proves to me me that he is incapable of doing the job.
I do however feel that the Board have not fulfilled their remit , by the prolonged period of indecision and prevarication, and apparent methodology of securing their targetted appointee.
Time will tell, if their approach and selection is the correct one. Do hope that it is, and does not end in tears!

Is this not what the other 90 page thread is for?

Too long for some and many have given up as it said nothing new, or changed too quickly for them. There are aspects to this appointment that can't be covered in 100 page thread that has no direction.

Warburton was a good appointment regardless of how it ended. We then took a crazy 180 degree turn with Pedro and his alleged philosophy.

I suppose the only case I can make for McInnes is that it's not another radical step change. His remit will simply be to maximise the potential of the current squad with a couple of additions.

Having said that, it strikes me as madness that we are about to pay Dolly a fortune and inherit a distasteful coaching staff to do a job that almost any out of work coach could do.

I'll be amazed if McInnes has the X factor but then perhaps Walter or our DoF or people that work in football can see something that we fans are missing.

McLaren, McCall, McLeish and Davies all strike me as coaches of a similar standard. None of them would be my first pick but I don't see anything outstanding about Derek that makes it worth the outlay.

Walter Smith said management is looking at what you have available (players, budget) and getting the absolute most out of it to win football matches.

I’d say DM has shown he can do that.

More managers fail than succeed, the consistency he has shown shows he obviously has some sort of talent for it.

Doesn't win big games.

Bottles it at the end of the season.

Wouldn't be leaving any kind of legacy at Aberdeen. They are likely to finish 4th if he leaves.

Expensive if there is a buy out clause.

He has never managed a club the size of Rangers with the budget of Rangers.

He has turned Aberdeen from a poor team to a consistant 2nd place team albeit in a league without us.

He has consistenly lost his best players and recruited relatively well on a non existent budget.

He won't take sh*t from the Mhedia, will defend the club and its players and guarantee us at least 2nd place.

Sorry but I'm not into slagging of someone who is about to become the manager of our football club. He will do his best and we should support him in doing so. The only issue with McInnes is that he should ave taken over after Warburton.

Or he'll just get another manager in. There's hardly a long queue of investors waiting to oust him if McInnes isn't a success.
I guess my point is that I don't see King remaining in the position as Chairman for too much longer. My prediction is that he may step aside as early as the summer. It's unlikely that he will give up his shares, but I don't think he fancies continuing year after years fulfilling the Chairman's role. IMO he'd just be happier being a shareholder in South Africa.

Therefore I see this as potentially his last throw of the dice in his role as Chairman with regard to he football side. And I think it should be.

He was and is not my choice, but let's at least give him a chance to see what he can do, it goes without saying that I will support him as Rangers manager (if he comes).

Unless Walter was going to come back I've always thought McInnes was the best of the 'Scottish type' managers who would look to get the team well organised, difficult to beat etc....

I was against us appointing a 'Scottish type' manager because Scottish fitba is sh!te, remains in the dark ages and I want us to be ahead of the curve in adopting modern coaching techniques, tactics and have a technical ability in players that is comparable to those in European teams. I still think that should be our ultimate goal as it's the only way we'll ever be able to compete in Europe.

However I no longer think it's possible for us to get there in a single step, we don't have the finances to give to a manager to allow us to spend our way there. I thought it could have been done without having to spend a fortune and had high hopes for Warburton but we know how that turned out. I think we have to look to be genuinely competing for league and cups then when we've achieved that we can look to try to progress in Europe and change the style of football. I think McInnes will get us competing domestically but I don't think he's going to progress us in terms of youth development, player technique etc but if it has to be a two stage process I can live with that.

I think he's the right man for the job at this particular time, he should probably have got it before PC. His record against them is p!sh but brenda's record in Europe is p!sh but held up as a messiah, it's all about resources. If he can squeeze as much out of our resources as he has done at aberdeen then we'll be in decent shape.

Aberdeen unable to keep hold of their better players, that makes that job difficult and he has done an ok job up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back