McInnes - for and against

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has been at Aberdeen 5 years and knows the Scottish game, hopefully he brings in Moult and others in Jan, boosts the squad and cut the gap on the poets.
Ok he is not the man I hoped we would get, I was hoping for Allardyce but we couldn't afford him and that ship has sailed

I just don't think he has the track record to do anything that will change things - it's like PLG and Pedro - and look what happened there.

He is one of us.

He will give us everything he can.

See what develops under him.

Would I have liked a better organised club under which he wouldnt have got a look in, yes.
One of us is a nice to have - shouldnt be #1 on the list.

Is he worth the rumoured £1m? No, hes not. Free yes we could do worse but hes not done that much to deserve that price tag and be worth it.

As an aside...of course he will get backing. We gave Pedro backing despite the mass cry of "Who the f*** is that?" that was heard over Govan.

I find a lot of the comments on here ridiculous particularly about our Board. The main RIFC Board who are the final decision makers are all successful business men in their own right. They have rescued our Club from the position where we were dying without salvation. They have put in millions of their hard earned cash in to the Club's bank account with little or no chance of them getting it back just to keep us going before and after getting rid of Whyte, Green Ashley et al.
They have taken their time with this appointment quite rightly and without any doubt will have taken advice from seasoned football professionals and Bluenoses like Walter. I have looked roughly 20 times every day at FF and there have been virtually no sensible, informed suggestions about who we should get as Manager. They have looked far and wide and invited applications in case they were overlooking someone.
Perhaps someone could tell us how else they might actually have gone about it. They want a successful Club on and if the park at least as much as and probably more than most as shown by their financial commitment. We should forever be grateful to them.
WATP
I don’t think anyone is questioning the board about their personal business nous, but running a football team like Rangers is not like running a normal P&L business. Some fans are challenging whether or not their ability to understand what is right from a footballing and “getting back to our rightful place” perspective is as sharp as it needs to be. I know what I like to eat, but I’d be fucked if I’d trust myself to cook it. Everyone is grateful for what they did and always will be. I have seen nothing negative in that regard. As for their investment, the club is massively under valued because of where we currently are around being credibly in Europe. Their money is very safe and they know it, they are business men as well as fans.

You say they have looked far and wide? Have they? Where has there been any suggestion of this? Maybe once the dust has settled and McInnes is in place, we will hear from them as to why it was felt necessary to wait 6 weeks.

I think that everyone on here is prepared to accept and will support McInnes from the get go. But this process has only enhanced the perception that the board have a low level of Football ownership nous. Maybe they need to employ a better CEO/MD to manage expectations better.

Against:
•Took the sheep from nowhere and they're still going nowhere.
• They've managed 2nd spot but only in the poorest SPL for as long as i can remember whilst Hearts, Hibs, Dundee utd and ourselves where down one way or another.
▪ He's managed to lift a trophy and made a cup final but so to did Hibs, StJohnstone, Motherwell, Caley, Falkirk, Dundee utd and ourselves so no great achievement.
▪ They haven't touched the Torbett terrors yet but a really weakened Rangers managed.
•Doesn't have the attributes of a winning manager, just a runner up.

For. A good bear with a reasonable good record in management
Against. Docherty

It's not a glamorous or exciting prospect but the logical one.

After 6 years of turmoil and madness what we need, at long last, is stability and someone capable of winning consistently in Scotland with a relatively meagre budget.

Oh, and he's one of our own.

I totally agree. This thing about doing well at Aberdeen gets to me. Someone had to be second when we were out of the league. Were they really that good though? He had them ahead of the scum by something like 7 points a couple of seasons back and they went into free fall and couldn't hack the pressure of such a lead. One win over Inverness in the League Cup (on pens after a no-score draw) isn't terribly impressive to me. I just don't think we have any other viable options as we seem brassic and it seems there's no prospect of any serious input of cash on the horizon. It's utterly depressing that this is the best we seem able to aim for. My only crumb of comfort is I felt exactly the same way in early 1986 and things changed rapidly, not that I can see a Souness like manager landing any time soon. We can but hope things work out for the good.

To be fair, look where Aberdeen were before McInnes turned up. Last season he finished second, seeing us off (with a bigger budget) and Hearts (who I assume would be on a similar budget, granted Cathro happened). He got to the League Cup Final (comfortably beaten) and Scottish Cup Final (were unlucky on the day), so you could say, against by far inferior resources to Celtic, he had a pretty successful season.

People are unfairly judging his record versus Celtic. Rodgers has taken them to a new level, and with their large squad, financial muscle and ability to take the best players from Scottish teams (Hayes for example), no one can compete.

McInness progressed Aberdeen and took them to the next stage. With greater resources and finances at Ibrox, there's no doubt he'll take us to the next level. IMO he won't win us the title, but that's not the next stage for us now. We're at a step by step basis and once we're comfortably second, winning trophies and back in Europe, we say thanks to McInnes and look for the next man who can progress us again.

He's got half the support seriously doubting his appointment before he's even in the job,and we're a million quid before wages for himself and his staff down as well when money's tight.
Had the board not f.ucked about and appointed him within ten days of Pedro getting the bullet the situation would seem a lot more plausible for many.He'd have been the boards number one target and we went out and got him,and we'd have all got on board doubts or not.

Now he just seems the best of the rest,it's all a bit meh through no fault of McInnes at all.Personally I think we should just have went with Murty and JJ for the season with a view to obtaining a higher level of manager in for the start of next summer,which would allow the board time to reasonably do so.

I'll back the manager as always,but I fear it won't end well.He's up against it before even getting the gig.

Should have gone for Lars Lagerbäck. Experienced and wins big games, e.g. has never lost in 7 games against England while managing much "lesser" teams including Iceland at the Euros. Man management skills are on par with Sir Walter so he gets the most from his players, i.e. Iceland only had 1 player who would for sure be in a Rangers first 11, although in saying that, Gylfi is a hell of player to have.

The thought of giving those cxxts one penny sickens me.
The thought of his mentally challenged assistant also gives me the boak.
After 6 weeks this is the best we can come up with?
Would happily stick with Murty until a decent candidate becomes available.
Totally underwhelmed.

Do we really want to be established as the "second force"? This appointment reeks of that.

Really don’t get this one, it won’t be easy to overhaul the filth any time soon but there’s no reason to assume McInnes will be any less likely than most of the other names that have been thrown into the mix.

Plus this is a guy who was around some outstanding Rangers teams with exceptional talent and the highest of standards. This can only be a positive over others who do not have this experience.

I don’t think anyone is questioning the board about their personal business nous, but running a football team like Rangers is not like running a normal P&L business. Some fans are challenging whether or not their ability to understand what is right from a footballing and “getting back to our rightful place” perspective is as sharp as it needs to be. I know what I like to eat, but I’d be fucked if I’d trust myself to cook it. Everyone is grateful for what they did and always will be. I have seen nothing negative in that regard. As for their investment, the club is massively under valued because of where we currently are around being credibly in Europe. Their money is very safe and they know it, they are business men as well as fans.

You say they have looked far and wide? Have they? Where has there been any suggestion of this? Maybe once the dust has settled and McInnes is in place, we will hear from them as to why it was felt necessary to wait 6 weeks.

I think that everyone on here is prepared to accept and will support McInnes from the get go. But this process has only enhanced the perception that the board have a low level of Football ownership nous. Maybe they need to employ a better CEO/MD to manage expectations better.
Great post mate.

Wasnt keen on Walter getting the job after the magnificent bassa, worked out no bad! Didnt want big Eck after wee Dick,wasnt the worst few years either? So I,ll reserve my judgement for just now I think!!!!

It's a lazy, uninspiring, unimaginative, parochial appointment.

Questions have to be asked of this board and how far they can take this club with such low levels of investment which just keep us 'ticking over'. This can't go on much longer. mentally challengeds will continue to sweep the boards - and then where will the fan's patience be ??!

Espanyolification has landed.
Agree with you make .reeks of a board happy to accept second.

For
Decent win rate at Aberdeen; had them as 'second force' albeit mainly without us in league; knows club and played for us; is young enough to learn; is maybe right man for where we are now - behind schedule in where we want to be. Maybe he can establish us as 'second force' and banish the banter years for good; is available and would come.

Against

Win rate lower than Warburton; one trophy in whole time we were on 'the journey'; no track record re youth development; poor European qualifying (we can talk, ha!); dubious mentally challenged back room team; HUGE outlay for us to get his services; not very exciting brand of football; failed at last 'big job' although club was badly run it seems; sent to bitch school by our U20 coach.

My assumption is that the board feel he can get us where they feel we should already be, i.e. he is to undo the problems created by late period MW and all of Pedro. I'm not very enthused (am I ever?) but can see some sense in it...sobering that we couldn't get a single affordable option in 6 weeks. We are very much at a low ebb in terms of budgets and maybe it's time for me and others to realign our ambition, temporarily at least.

What do you think?
I'd agree, think that's a fair summary

I'm sceptical about McInnes, he wouldn't be my choice but then again i don't know who i would appoint giving our position.
I'll back him 100% from the day he joins until the day he leaves.

I just don't think he has the track record to do anything that will change things - it's like PLG and Pedro - and look what happened there.

This doesn't make sense - PLG track record was great. McInness track record with Aberdeen is above expectation to where they have been in recent years prior to him being appointed

Scottish. Check
Bluenose. Check
Knows the sphell inside out. Check
Knows The Famous inside out. Check
Great record at his last club. Check
Hasn’t seen Tommy Sheridan’s cum face. Check

He’ll do for me.
WATP

I have always liked him and thought he was a Rangers manager of the future and now his time is approaching. I think with the bigger budget, he will bring in some quality starting with Moult and Cadden (just my opinion).

The downside will be Docherty and his mentally challenged background. Hopefully DM will keep him on a short lease and explain it to him about our club and our traditions. If he can't step up then time to let him go his own way.

IF he is appointed I will back him.

I don't think he is what we need, and if he wasn't an ex Rangers player I doubt he would even be considered.

For:

The eternal hope of being a football fan and hoping for the slim chance that something will just click and the team will unite and play a song we know they can and he's one of own.

Against:

His backroom team. Marshall I can cope with if he has the ability, even Robson if he's a good coach but I'll never accept a bigoted bheast taking a wage from Rangers

Ive accepted derek will be our manager and i will back him but i dont want either of his assistants near our club.

I think it's important to have someone that knows what it means to be a part of Rangers (not sure how he is going to handle the pressure), he has supported and played for Rangers so it's safe to say he gets it. I think he will be a good manager for us and will give everything he has, we can't ask for more than that

Walter told Pedro that at Rangers you have to find a way to win. Doesn't matter how you do it, JUST WIN!

Pedro never listened.

McInnes will find a way.

I'm pretty sure he told his apprentice Ally the same thing.

We are going to be back in the same position within a season looking for another manager.

I must admit to hoping that the backroom staff issue and compensation required kill this ill fated hire in its tracks.

The reality is that the cons far outweigh the pros where DM is concerned and at 46 I don’t think DM is going to blossom into the progressive, developmental, big game winning manager required by Rangers at this juncture.

Sadly this smacks of the Dave Kings lack of imagination and creativity not to mention his abandonment of his DOF’s strategy for the club in favour of a plodding second place behind Celtc. Murty bought them time last week to have a proper rethink about the rest of the season and perhaps waiting until a more suitable candidate became available.

Morale was high and the team seems to be gelling, how will the players react to a guy who was totally out coached by Murty and who’s big match record is in general pretty dire? Will they see McInnes as a guy who can inspire them to beat Celtc, because even if he delivers wins against the cannon fodder it means nothing if we don’t win the big games.

How could they have watched McInnes unravel under the pressure of not even having been officially approached re the job.In fact he and his team became diminished at the mere speculation that he might be a candidate and given the pressure of being Rangers manager immediately make an official approach.

Horrendous decision making, if he lacks many of the qualities laid out by the DOF, fails in big games and cracks under pressure. How in the name of the wee man is a good fit for a job which requires the antithesis?

This about covers it, the Board appear to be ignoring everything that is staring them in the face.

Before Pedro, I said McInnes was a good shout to manage our club.

If, as it appears, he now gets that chance, I hope he fulfils that potential and does us proud.

Walter Smith gave him his blessing and said we should sign him, Walters probably forgot more about football than most of us will ever know. If he signs I will welcome him home.

For - one of us and will be afforded more time than someone from the outside before the pitch forks come out.

Against - the most uninspiring and unimaginative managerial appointment in our history. Too many worries to list

Summary - we are where we are. I'll back him to the hilt, but i'll have a massive 'i told you so' when we sack him in 18 months

I'm sad to say I'm totally underwhelmed by the appointment.

If the board really fancied him he would have got the gig when Warburton got the sack.

Time will tell but I just don't see him taking us to where we want to be.

The very definition of "pragmatic choice".

Underwhelmed to be honest, but symptomatic of where we are. If he gets the gig though then we need to stick with him see out the three years or whatever and try to build a bit of stability. The constant chopping and changing is absolutely stifling our progression (although I fully agree the MW and Pedro had to go).

Incidentally, IDGAF about the scum and a potential 10 in a row. I just want my club fixed and competing again. If it takes three years then so be it. We need to get it right this time.

Win rate lower than Warburton? You're not comparing two Rangers managers stats here.

That's like me saying I've had more success with the ladies than Gok Wan ( which is probably not true anyway ).

You can't compare win stats between the two. Warburton also managed a season in the Championship, so his winrate isn't really relevant.

Surely you must have had more success with the ladies than Gok Wan?

Would not expect a gay man to have any success with the ladies, or did you mean laddies.:D

Consolidating second place is where the board see the next few seasons.

Maybe a league cup if someone else knocks the beasts out.

The next man will be the one to stop them getting ten.

Think we will all have to wait and see
For me he must stick the diamond shape that has given us our best performances of the season

Will he though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back