McInnes - the next Pep

Wasn't so long ago our Board thought he was....we can't have our cake and eat it. That's why there is much anger towards him-he turned his back on us-I get that but let's at least be honest about things. And no he wasn't an universally accepted candidate for the job.

Our board don't have the greatest track record when it comes to selecting managers...

Every season FF slags him and he pisses all over us. We might have beat them last season more than they beat us but he got the last laugh again by finishing above us.

We might be ahead of them this season but he's pumped us out of both cups.

He loses his best players every season but continues to have Aberdeen competing every season.

In short, the guy is a good manager. Time people started to realise that.
He is good there is no doubt about that but for me I don't believe he has what it takes to mange us which is a completely different ball game.

Hopefully Gerrard does have it.

There was a load last night. You are right very basic and very defensive.

The way to beat a team like that is get round the back and put decent (notice I say decent) balls into the box. The one Candieas hit across was in a great area bar one important point - there was no phucker to tap it in. Too often Kent goes inside where the defender wants him to go.
We put plenty crosses in but they are able to quickly get 10 men in & around the box to block us out.

The way to beat a defensive team that play is a low block (and are good at it), is to play at a high tempo, high intensity, move the ball at pace. Movement is very key.

We done none of that last night.

What is even more worrying is that he isn't that good. He's not a master tactician or a really good manager. He's a guy that would probably fail in any other league.

However, that doesn't stop him bettering Gerrard on a fairly regular basis and when it really matters. Twice we've been put out of cups by them.

That's a worrying though. Anyone who thinks McInnes is a good manager is having a laugh but I am more than a little concerned.

Hes the anti Pep and his team and hibs have had mild success v us by booting us off the park and dubious officials.

McInness, the guy who masterminded a draw with lower league dross and a home pumping from accies.

If it wasnt for clancy letting their thugs continually assault our players we would have wiped the floor with the smarmy little cock socket. Should have had a penalty instead the ref books alfie.

More Simeone than Pep.

I'm not saying i rate him at all really but that's even more concerning when he's got the better of Gerrard and the 3 wins have all played out more or less the same way with us being frustrated when trying to break them down.

I’ll give him some credit if it was part of his plan for Jack to hit the post and Alfredo to not get a stone Waller as both these incidents take his tactics out the window and if they go out way we win the game!

He will not get past the poets in the Semi final , but will probably have photographs of his team's victories at Ibrox this season framed and put up all over the sheep pen. They will finish third but it will not matter to them , beating Rangers is their season.
That is all they are interested in.

Tommy Wright got a lot of joy against Mark Warburton and was heralded as a tactical genius for a while off the back of it.

This is just a newer version of that.

They’ve managed two wins at Ibrox with about 3 shots on goal combined, weird one.

We’ve given them goals as well. If McInnes was that good, he wouldn’t be eight points behind a rookie in his first season.

I hardly think its the time or the place at another McInnes bashing thread. How much egg do yous guys want on your face and there may be more if they pip us for 2nd again I wouldn't discount it just yet !

There's an arrogance on here in the way many dismiss McInnes capabilities and 'bottle'.

He's done a phenomenal job at Aberdeen, pretty much rebuilding them every summer and still doing well but there's no point speculating how he would've done with us because it's all hypothetical.

The early goal was a direct result of a careless error by us. The team seems to lose the mojo after a setback. We defeat ourselves no matter who the opposing manager is..think back to the other games where we dropped points.

I said to someone today it may be time for us to play 9 at the back and kick anything that moves
We may then get results and win something
Winning ugly, this may be the answer

You play to your strengths and do what you can to win football matches.

Hammer throwers that spill blood and guts to be first to the ball. Even their 17 year old midfielder was going through players whilst ours tip toed about the park.

Let's not sit here and pretend we play like Liverpool or Manchester City. We are capable of playing some nice football but more often than not it's the one paced, turgid, predictable football. Side to side, out wide, sling it into the box (either over or under hit). If that doesn't work we just lamp it down the middle and 9/10 the likes of a Considine or McKenna header it away.

I remember when we took offence to the comments on the style of play that saw us read the UEFA Cup final. Strong, dogged, determined, aggressive, organised, prepared to battle, remain organised and be physical.

Now we have the cheek to have a go at the opposition who have a much smaller budget than us for playing their style and getting the better of us, again.

Doesn't make Derek McInnes a top manager, it just highlights how poor we are and that we have very few answers against the likes.

We play in Scotland, not La Liga or the Bundesliga. Maybe if we had a bit more fight and aggression, desire and passion, we would have seen a more successful domestic season. If hard, aggressive, direct, physical play gets us competing for trophies again then so be it. You've got to learn to walk before you can run and our style, 4-3-3 etc hasn't exactly been a success under numerous managers now.

The way I see it is he’s found a tactic we struggle to cope with. There’s no evidence whatsoever that he has anything els in the bag.
We find a way to deal with it and we’ll see him for what he is.

Well, we’ve had 6 go’s at it this season and only won once.....he takes the players he has and sets out to win. He doesn’t care how it looks and neither do their fans,

We put plenty crosses in but they are able to quickly get 10 men in & around the box to block us out.

The way to beat a defensive team that play is a low block (and are good at it), is to play at a high tempo, high intensity, move the ball at pace. Movement is very key.

We done none of that last night.
bit hard to play like that when they killed the ball every chance they got,how their keeper didn't get booked for blatant time wasting is beyond me,must've done it every single time he got the ball! our defence is main problem I seen,utter garbage.

He set up with players behind the ball, allowed Goldson to get the ball knowing he would
Play it up the inside right channel and then close down from there. Losing the early goal played right into their hands unfortunately.

McInnes is no master tactician.
He sets his team up to defend in depth and break quickly on the break.
As a team they look for fouls in dangerous areas of the pitch.
He is vastly experienced to SG, which is fairly obvious.
SG should be getting more support, guidance, and help from Gary McAllister.
SG is on a steep learning curve, unfortunately.
But McInness, against an astute, clever and experienced manager would be found out.

Says more about our manager and management team to be honest
Exactly. They have 7 outfield players man marking 7 of our players. Alfie gets picked up by the nearest central defender, and May runs about. Gerrard hasn't figured how to counteract it. McInnes knows we'll lose a goal, so keeping it tight helps them.
They have scored in all 6 matches this season, we have failed to score in 3, scored 1 goal in 2 games and a 4. Not really cup/league winning form
In 12 league matches v rest of top 6 this season, we've had 2 clean sheets and collected 17 points. Hearts results have made this respectable.

Only tactic you need against Rangers right now: let Rangers control the game and make sure you have solid centre backs to clear off the balls Candeias and Barisic are fireing in. Rangers don't have a clue what to do with the ball from centre of the pitch.
If you try to attack, Rangers will beat you on counter attacks.

Also give constant pressure to Barisic on his right foot side as he canny do anything with it.

McInnes has done his homework this season. There's not been any question about which team has better skills in any of those games (maybe league game at home and LC semi they were close), but Aberdeen sure know how to beat us...

According to some on here the master or masterplans and tactics was brilliant last night.

Just wondering if some of the great tacticians on here (and there appears to be many) could explain what the tactics were and how what THEY won the game.
It's quite simple. 1 bank of 4, 1 bank of 5 and 1 at the top. Make sure each line is no more than 10 yards apart.

Hardly coaching. Thing is that sort of shite us tolerated at Aberdeen and no wonder he won't leave he will get chased anywhere else like he was at Bristol city.

We’re 8 points ahead of them but granted they have beaten us a few times this season..
sellik will probably hump them in the semi and they’ll hopefully finish 3rd behind us.
To their support they’ll probably be happy with that... And there lies his ambitions.. He’s in a comfort zone that he will find difficult to leave.

The only thing McInnes has in common with Pep is that they both had beards at one point. Also they both aren't too fluent in English.

I couldn't give a %^*& if he's the next pep or the next David hockaday but hes getting results against us.

Its more to do with our inability to break down two defensive banks (see St Johnstone) than his ability imo.

Defend deep and kick lumps

According to some on here the master or masterplans and tactics was brilliant last night.

Just wondering if some of the great tacticians on here (and there appears to be many) could explain what the tactics were and how what THEY won the game.
That explains why they are eight points ahead of us in the League and in second place

We'll see how good a manager he is when he moves on, that's if he's got the bottle to take that next step!
Think it took more bottle to knock us back rather than to take a job with his heart but have to work with people that weren’t up to the job then and still aren’t now ie Allen, Robertson and king but I guess it’s far easier to blame him than look within . By the way his bottle looked more than fine to me last night I would try a new angle it’s beginning to make us a laughing stock

Only top quality can defeat such defensive howk the ball fitbaw. At the moment we are still lacking in key areas some top quality. IMO we need a tin opener, a top quality player who can skin 3 players and do it all on his own, a proper number 10 who either gets by or gets fouled and can play balls through the middle. This crossing the ball from out wide is meat and veg to defensive teams with big lumps at the back, these teams actually play us wide as opposed to through the middle.

I don’t like McInnes, but he spoke quite well about their tactical set up after the match (on the radio).
Basically allow some of our players to have the ball as much as they liked (Worrell, etc.)
Double up on our more dangerous players.
Said he couldn’t go toe to toe with us if it was an open game as we are better technically than they are, so keep the game scrappy- plenty of fouls, throw ins, niggles, up in the air, etc.
Not an example of ‘the beautiful game’ obviously, but turned out to be effective.

What ever it was it worked. End of chat!

Be honest, without the aid of a bent ref, they were not getting a result on Tuesday, a penalty to us, them going down to 9 men, Alfie not getting booked, that would have made a massive difference.

Gerrard has made him look like a genius this season.

He has done a good job at Aberdeen but their brand of football is atrocious.

All very situational and also rather amusing to throw in saint pep’s name, and pep may well of course be the greatest manager of all time on paper in terms of trophies when he retires but lets look at it the other way

given the biggest spend budget in each of the leagues he’s managed in , inheriting teams full of world class players , used to winning domestic & European trophies, indeed a Barcelona team with Messi, it’s no wonder he can play with the type of football he favours.

Could he have been successful taking over a mid table / lower league team with limited resources and set out his team in the same manner?

Could he have done what Brian Clough or Ferguson did?

The guy has never had to build a team on an equal footing with the other teams domestically in terms of finance.

Nobody is saying McInnes is a genius , the new messiah , it’s just recognition that with limited resources he has done a decent job in the spl & if Gerrard doesn’t improve by Christmas he is surely a name that people will be looking at again.

Back