McLaughlin. Again

Well he's been injured recently for a start but generally speaking, it's near impossible for a keeper to get a proper chance whilst McGregor is in the building.

At the start of the season when Gio said McLaughlin would be his #1, McGregor's wee pals in the media were absolutely desperate for Jon to make a blunder and any slight mistake they were all over it. It was embarrassing from the likes of Miller, Hutton, Boyd, McCoist etc. Happy to over analyse McLaughlin's game but say nothing when McGregor sells the jersey.

I remember the Ross County game where McGregor practically scored two own goals and all Boyd had to say was that it was uncharacteristic for him. No proper criticism.
Did GvB say Jon was no1 I don’t actually recall that mate .

Surprised we seen him again after parkhead tbh , was at fault for the 4 goals , I know it doesn’t work like that but in a supporters head it should I

I would need to watch the game again..no chance...never was he at fault for 4 goals ...as on sat ..made a good save ...then then the team precide to bring on pressure..

If our current highest player is on £30k a week and we sign someone and give them £65k a week...I'm sure that'd go down well.
Make him sign a NDA haha.

Seriously though, when you consider that Kent may well leave in the summer for nothing, he'll have ended up costing around 12m when you factor in the 7m transfer fee.

I think what’s frustrating the most is his recent errors are happening in situations that are suppose to be his one strength over McGregor.

Just changing the keeper isn't going to fix this habit we have of losing very soft goals and giving chances away - set pieces, crosses, balls over/inside the full backs. We continue to lose these goals no matter whether McGregor or McLaughlin plays.

McLaughlin should have done better as should Goldson who was beaten in the air again. That's part of the issue - McLaughlin seems to be coming for balls he's not going to win because he's not confident that our CBs will clear them. Kind of like when you see some of the indecision in our box and with balls getting cleared aimlessly by our defenders when McGregor plays because they don't know if he will come for them or if they trust him to deal with them.

We need a new keeper, maybe a more commanding CB and I'd still like to see the full backs replaced. Or we work out a better way to cover for their weaknesses with those balls over/inside them.

I think what’s frustrating the most is his recent errors are happening in situations that are suppose to be his one strength over McGregor.
Indeed.

The choice seems to be McGregor who doesn't come from cross or McLaughlin who DOES come for crosses but misses them all.

Trouble we have just now is that one keeper never comes off his line for crosses, the other one does and misses them putting us in bother.
Beale knows that this is top priority in the summer, we will just need to play with who we have.

We need a new keeper, that's just a fact but we are also weak in the air defensively. I think Beale will want to rectify this.

Kinda worrying that we signed Davies and Yilmaz who are hardly a strong physical presence.
From the very little I've seen from Yilmaz he can block a cross. I think he was injured while doing it. Davies seems to be improving but he is weak in the air.

We obviously need CBs who can play out from the back, but the reality of playing in Scotland is that we also need some who are a bit more no-nonsense, physical, good in the air etc.

Indeed.

The choice seems to be McGregor who doesn't come from cross or McLaughlin who DOES come for crosses but misses them all.
McGregor has the confidence of the Players and is a better Goalkeeper.

McLaughlin really blew his chance with a shambolic display from which there is no return.

I'd play McCrorie for the remaining games if available but McGregor if not. His immobility hasn't been such an issue since Beale came in and organised the team.

Back