McLaughlin. Again

That's because he's not.

People can rightly criticise McLaughlin for today and Killie, but McGregor literally had a catalogue of horrors last season that cost us the league.

All McGregor is better at is screaming until he's red in the face.

McGregor is a top class goalkeeper who has regressed to a level not good enough.

McLaughlin never was a top class keeper and never was good enough

You’ve seen today, you sawat Killie, you saw at Celtic park…

You think McGregor cost us the title? You think with McLaughlin….hilariously bad at cross balls, very hit and miss as a shot stopper (something you’ll concede McGregor still does better)….you think McLaughlin would have won us the title last year ?

Load of shite mate.

We haemorrhaged some needless points…but the moment they hammered us at Torbett Towers in February, they had us on the ropes. Celtic from drawing at St Mirren in December only dropped, what 4 more points all season - away to Hibs and at home to us.

It’s a comfort blanket to pretend goalkeeping mistakes, when neither of our keepers are good enough, cost us the title

I will jump for joy this summer when Rangers announce McGregors contract is up and Mclaughlin is released. We will continue to concede cheap goals with these 2 but out of them both, we need to keep Mcgregor in until the summer. I hope Mclaughlin is never seen in a starting 11 again.

It's clear as day we need a new starting #1 but we also need a back up keeper in the summer too. We can't be back to square 1 if Mclaughlin had to come in as back up next season.

His supporters on here have gone quiet and rightly so as they clearly don’t know what a Rangers No.1 looks like.

McLaughlin shouldn’t even be No.2 at Rangers. Thankfully his contract is up in May.

McGregor is a top class goalkeeper who has regressed to a level not good enough.

You think McGregor cost us the title? You think with McLaughlin….hilariously bad at cross balls, very hit and miss as a shot stopper (something you’ll concede McGregor still does better)….you think McLaughlin would have won us the title last year ?

Load of shite mate.

We haemorrhaged some needless points…but the moment they hammered us at Torbett Towers in February, they had us on the ropes. Celtic from drawing at St Mirren in December only dropped, what 4 more points all season - away to Hibs and at home to us.

It’s a comfort blanket to pretend goalkeeping mistakes, when neither of our keepers are good enough, cost us the title
Totally disagree with you, Allan cost us the title last year, numerous mistakes in numerous games but we would have still won the league if instead of running back 6 yards to his comfort blanket of the goal line at a Celtic floated free kick and had he held his position he would’ve comfortably took it, instead our back line ran backward along with their attack and hey presto it ends up in our net, cue their bit of belief and we get beat 2-1, don’t think he was too clever at their second either.
Wanted Jon given a chance last year when it was obvious that Allan was not the answer and I admit he’s not good enough but gets more basics right than Allan.
Now Robbie needs to be given an opportunity, only time will tell if he’s good enough or not but he needs a consistent run to the end of the season to see this when he becomes fit.
I suspect that we will need a number 1 like most on here but I personally think that Jon gets absolutely hammered by us whereas saint Allan would get away with most of what Jon gets slated for.

Load of shite mate.

Count up how many costly mistakes McGregor made last season. Hint: it's a lot.

Look at how many clean sheets McLaughlin kept in our 55 season. I'm not saying he's the answer, but he would've been a far better option than McGregor last season.

In fact I don't actually remember McLaughlin having a bad game until this season.

Haikin was a free agent just a couple of weeks ago, joined Bristol City till the end of this season, should have went and got him.
I'd take him and a no nonsense defender like Jake Cooper in a heartbeat on bosmans this summer.

We need players to defend the goal amongst those who can play with the ball.
Balance is required.

Look at how many clean sheets McLaughlin kept in our 55 season. I'm not saying he's the answer, but he would've been a far better option than McGregor last season.

In fact I don't actually remember McLaughlin having a bad game until this season.

Aye maybe he would have got to one of those penalties in Seville too

How many league games did McLaughlin play in the 55’ season. 9, 10, 11 - certainly wasn’t many.

I’m sure McGregor came back in after the 2-2 game at Easter Road, starting at Willem II and we never looked back.

McLaughlin rarely made a mistake but he was never capable of the sublime. He’s now making basic errors and looks every bit a number 2.

Unfortunately, the manager has said he will continue to chop and change which IMO is absolutely ridiculous.

Keeper situation is a shambles this season and we will need to hobble on until the summer - hopefully they don’t cost us in the cups.

Every single Rangers fan I know raised their eyebrows at McGregor getting an extension and not singing a first choice keeper. Yet, the club thought this was totally fine. It’s played out how we expected.

Hes never been a no.1 anywhere! A capable no.2! Shagger was done over a year ago. Swapping goalies is never going to solve silly errors!McCrorie should at least get a chance, to see if he is the answer or not

McGregor must apportion a lot of the blame for the GK shambles when instead of accepting to stay on he should have called it a day and forced us into bringing in a decent replacement. Every team we play knows this is our Achilles heel and you see their joy/anticipation when we concede a corner.

Last edited:
How many league games did McLaughlin play in the 55’ season. 9, 10, 11 - certainly wasn’t many.

I’m sure McGregor came back in after the 2-2 game at Easter Road, starting at Willem II and we never looked back.

McLaughlin rarely made a mistake but he was never capable of the sublime. He’s now making basic errors and looks every bit a number 2.

Unfortunately, the manager has said he will continue to chop and change which IMO is absolutely ridiculous.

14 games total, 12 clean sheets.

I’ll go against the grain and say he’ll do as a backup next season. I wouldn’t want to dilute the transfer fees across two goalies. Just get one very good goalie in the summer and I’ll be happy.

Hes never been a no.1 anywhere! A capable no.2! Shagger was done over a year ago. Swapping goalies is never going to solve silly errors!McCrorie should at least get a chance, to see if he is the answer or not
He was Sunderland’s no1 and they were disappointed when he left
He made a few saves today and the chopping and changing isn’t helping anyone he should be no1 till end of season then decisions made

This constant rotation of the goalies is nonsense. It’s went on under a few managers now, so they must see a logic in it. I don’t understand it, especially when we are just building a relationship with the rest of the back 4
There was a logic behind it with Gerrard. McGregor was number one and McLaughlin was the capable backup and a help in beginning to phase out McGregor. This all went to pot when McGregor was given a new contract in the summer and McLaughlins been proven as not good enough.

We should have signed Schmeichel last year. He would have been good for 2-3 seasons and allow McCrorie time to develop.

Our goalkeeper stats must be among the worst in the league and should never have been allowed to happen.

Is not the answer and cannot be trusted in any big games moving forward.

Sold another goal today and doesn't spread any confidence. Our goalkeeping situation is a shambles.

When McCrorie is fit again he must be given a chance.
I have to agree.

Was at fault for the goal, and almost cost again when RC got another late corner with a near identical mistake.

In my lifetime, Rangers have always had better goal keepers than them. Maybe until this season. A top keeper has to be the priority for next season. An exceptional keeper can win you so many points over a season.

Why the manager persists in rotation is a mystery. McGregor is better than McLaughlin and should retain the place till end of season when we buy a replacement.

Well McGregor is 41 now and not up for playing every game as explained by the manager. So it's no mystery.

McLaughling is never good enough to be our keeper though. Never has been.

He was rarely tested in those games either due to our dominance in them.

We should have signed Schmeichel last year. He would have been good for 2-3 seasons and allow McCrorie time to develop.

Our goalkeeper stats must be among the worst in the league and should never have been allowed to happen.

Schmeichel who is supposed to be on around £65k a week at Nice? That Schmeichel?

Both McLaughlin and McGregor are absolutely fucking terrible. I liked Jon, but for whatever reason he has absolutely lost the plot. His distribution remains excellent but he's just about sold the jersey with every cross that's come in over his last two games.

Could have cost us the points today. Embarrassing the way he flapped at crosses.

Goalkeeping situation is ridiculous. I can’t believe we didn’t even bring in a short term solution in the transfer window. It could cost us the cups.

What planet you living on hahaha
Ok, I’ll have a bite. Assuming it’s the financials that prompted your response, let’s say he’s on 65k / week as suggested, that equates to around 7million over 2 years, add in the 1m transfer fee and we’re looking at a total outlay of 8m overall.

As we know, a quality keeper can make the difference in the big moments and be hugely influential in winning titles, CL qualification, etc. Achieve this and the outlay starts to look like excellent value.

He’s a wet lettuce of a player. A simpleton who shows no emotion, doesn’t command his area and generally looks void of opinion and accountability.

I said it in January buying a keeper should have been the priority and not addressing it was a negligence of duty.

Alas, we are struggling big time in the position but still winning games, despite of our keepers not because of them.

I do however have a horrible feeling that when it comes to our biggest games, aka the cup final, not getting a new gk could really come back to bite us in the arse.

He’s absolutely good enough to be Number 2 -
what a load of pish!!
This season he’s been at fault for goals against Sunderland pre season, Celtic at Parkhead, Kilmarnock and Ross County.

That’s not reliable. We need to move him & Mcgregor on in the summer.

He seems a nice enough guy. But not a good goalie. Quite shite in fact. His good performances were the anomaly, not the bad ones.

We need to stop chopping and changing keepers McGregor's the best we have but he should have been retired after 55 and a new keeper brought in.
McLaughlin is not good enough.

The fact that some want McCrorie given a chance purely because McGregor and McLaughlin are both bomb-scares rather than on merit sums up our recruitment.

Can wait until the last 48hrs in August when we see some transfer activity.
‘some’ want McCrorie given a chance as this is now sink or swim for him, if he’s not good enough now he needs to move on. He can’t be judged though without a decent run of games. Which he will get when he’s fit according to the Manager.

Back