McLaughlin tonight

Think Gerrard will give the shirt back to shagger as soon as he's fit but I'd be happy to let mclaughlin keep it til he has a bad game, keeps shagger working hard and mclaughlin hopefully keeps playing well to keep the shirt. Otherwise what's the point in having competition for places if its just a case of if this guys fit he will play

One of those signings where I’m tempted to pull the absolute dick move of dragging up his signing thread to embarrass some of the utter reprobates on here that were hammering him.

I would be.

Anyone who doubts that AM will start, when 100% fit, is strange.

He will only not play when being rested or injured or suspended.
McGregor will probably be number 1, but my point is that it is no longer as cut and dried as it maybe once was.

McLaughlin is more than capable of being number one when/if called upon and I certainly wouldn't have a problem with that.

McGregor will probably be number 1, but my point is that it is no longer as cut and dried as it maybe once was.

McLaughlin is more than capable of being number one when/if called upon and I certainly wouldn't have a problem with that.
Mate, AM is number 1. Not, probably.

That may change next season. It may not.

But this season - AM will play every single match, apart from when he is injured/suspended/being rested.

Of that, there is not a doubt. And rightly so.

Thought he was slower to distribute the ball last night but that was probably down to the midfield being flooded with players so he couldn’t play it to the halfway line like against Lyon. Hasn’t had to make world class saves yet but has done everything well and seems to position himself correctly.

He looks assured, and like he's been here a while. Have no qualms about him between the posts. Shagger can't go on forever. Could this be a transition season, where McLaughlin plays a bit part, but prepped to take over when McGregor chucks it, goes to coaching etc. Whoever is in the side, I have confidence in either. Handy position to be in.

Nearly inherited Shaggers deck chair but he kept his concentration ala Shagger and kept yet another clean sheet, another good keeper in line with others over recent decades.

The best “back up”goalie we have in many years. It’s not a feeling of dread when you see his name on the team sheet.
He’s had a couple of good saves the last couple of games.

He shouldn't be dropped even when McGregor is fit again and I say that as a massive McGregor fan.

We essentially have 2 players who have the ability of a Number 1.

Jon has done everything right since signing.

Shagger is shagger.

We're in the fortunate position of being extremely strong in the Goalkeeping area as a result. Allowing Shagger to fully recover and not be rushed back to fitness with no drop off in quality from Jon.

He comes for crosses and clears the box very well. Passing, even under pressure is solid and a couple of really good saves last night. Its hard to decided who is better, I'm just glad they both are as good as they are.

I love McGregor but it's great having a keeper come for crosses and not having your heart in your mouth every time a ball is played into the box.

Both great keepers but i like the fact that Mclaughin likes to come for the ball helps the defenders out.

He’s McGregor’s direct replacement when he retires. He’s every bit as good a shot stopper and better on the ball. We’re well placed for the next few years.

He is very good. Not peak McGregor but maybe Alexander level. His distribution and command of area arguable better as well.

If age and injuries start catching up on McGregor then I’d have no qualms with McLaughlin being No1

Another solid performance, with a save Shagger would have been proud of late in the second half to keep the clean sheet. His distribution is also top notch. It's going to be an interesting battle for the number 1 shirt this season.

Very good goalkeeper he reminds me of Alexander.

IMO, he is a lot better than McGregor for picking the ball out of the air too, this takes a lot of pressure off us. I saw a couple of cross balls last night that may have caused a bit of trouble for Greegs as he would have either punched them away or pushed them behind for a corner.

If he pulls out the 1 on 1 stops in a genuinely difficult match, he has the shirt for me.

Good goalie, should get the league cup on his own and Im sure he will

But those saying hes our new number one are being waaay to hasty, McGregor back in the team as soon as hes fit

I love Greegs, and think he is one of the top keepers Rangers have ever had, however his distribution is lacking, you know he is going to play the ball to Tav on the halfway line 9 times out of 10. Hopefully this challenge ups his game even at this stage in his career.
He's been doing the same thing since when walter was manager and McCulloch used to be his target. Shagger is still number 1 but agree McLaughlin is first class back up. Solid and steady.

Back