McLaughlin tonight

Solid again, very good with ball at his feet too. Shagger is amazing shot stopper but severely lacking with ball at his feet, tends to be lumped out park or to tav

Interesting battle if anything but I think JM has the Jersey for now, definitely on Sunday on that pitch

Shagger is one of the GOAT. But he’s a shot stopper. We could do a decent distributor. Glad to have McLaughlin.

I got crucified after the Aberdeen game for suggesting that mclaughlin could be our number 1 quicker than people think , and for saying how mcgregor should have claimed the cross before the scramble at the sheep pen , I suggested mclaughlin would be number 1 after getting a chance

To win the league sometimes a manager has to be ruthless, no favourites, no mercy, McGregor has had his day, time to move on, Tav again maybe back to the Championship which is his level, too many errors in big games, give the captaincy to Goldson.

Goldson made more errors than Tav tonight.

But this is not a thread about either of them.

Another solid performance, with a save Shagger would have been proud of late in the second half to keep the clean sheet. His distribution is also top notch. It's going to be an interesting battle for the number 1 shirt this season.
Agreed mate. He looks really assured with his distribution especially with the feet

I think he looks a very good keeper and to be honest, could give McGregor a run for this shirt this season. I always stand by the idea that a player who is playing well in a position can't just be replaced for no reason. I can't see any reason to drop him until he does.

He’s been superb so far

I’ll be honest when we signed him I was underwhelmed. Part of that was due to seeing him a few times at Sunderland where it felt like every time I watched their highlights, he seemed to be at fault for a goal

Serious Neil Alexander vibes coming from him. Which is no small compliment.

I love shagger but watching mclaughlins footwork and distribution makes me think that he could seriously become the number 1

Very solid goalkeeper. Will be very interesting as stated OP. McGregor pre game on RTV said about him having small wee niggles and having to have an injection Monday, said might be him getting older.

Probably no getting away from reality if Shagger’s age but he’s the closest thing we have to a proper warrior and “take no sh!t and give no fcks” leader in that squad imho.

However, I’m very happy to have a new guy come in who looks like a very steady pair of hands to be between the sticks.

Safe hands.

A very assured goalie, which will instill even more confidence in our new defensive signings.

He retains the gloves until such time he needs rested IMO.

When he was at Hearts I thought he was a good keeper.
Impressed to be very honest with his performances.
I like him.
I like shagger but nobody lives forever.I'd stick with McLaughlin.I just hate that fucking name.Is he related to gollum?

Shagger can't go on forever of course but he's still the No 1 right now. McLaughlin is an excellent back up as things go, no doubt he'll take the jersey in time if he hangs around which I'm sure he will.

Looks very assured and would have no concerns about him playing more games. I'd also be very surprised if we brought back McGregor for Livingston to play on a shitey plastic pitch with a gammy knee

seems very assured, some great saves and the distribution of the ball is a major plus for him

the No1 jersey is there for him if he wants it, even Greegs probably knows he's heading into his final year

If tomorrow SG said McLaughlin was the number one for the season I would not have a problem with that at all.

At McGregors age a small niggling injury can decimate your fitness very quickly.

McLaughlan looks cool under pressure and match awareness is top notch.

McLaughlan is quickly becoming the number 1

He’s a very good keeper, and looks like he has the major attribute needed at a top club, concentration. Looks like he can be out a game for 89 minutes but still pull off a save to win a game or keep a clean sheet.

McGregor has done nothing to lose his number one slot. Great to know we have two very good keepers at hand.

Great news about McLaughlin, but does anyone have any info on McGregor? Has he picked up a knock in training?

I am happy with him but this is typical of FF. We overhype new players and write off existing players far too quickly. First mistake and this place will be calling for his head. Shagger is our #1 and McLaughlin will step in as and when required.

I'm just happy to see that we have 2 goalkeepers who we can trust.

Surely too early to state the jersey is his mate, McGregors done nothing wrong and has been consistent throughout.
I know he's done nothing wrong mate but just feel more confident with McLaughlin at the moment going by performances so far especially when playing from the back.Good to have two class keepers.

Has played very well when called upon. He does have the edge when it comes to distribution and coming for crosses/corners. Still AM jersey though imo. He has that something that you can't train into someone.

Plays like he’s been a rangers player for years.

If McGregor is still out on Sunday and McLaughlin comes in and has another assured performance - then he has to keep the jersey imo.

After being underwhelmed by his signing im now eating my words, we've hot a real find in JMcL, looks a cracking keeper and will be fighting AMcG for the no. 1 spot

I think McLaughlin will keep his place versus Livingson for two reasons:
1. Will the management risk McGregor's knee on a plastic pitch?
2. There will be a long ball, physical battle. Would you prefer the keeper who is better able to come out and collect crosses as well as distribute the ball quickly.

McGregor has been brilliant since returning to the club, but McLaughlin has done nothing wrong since coming in. However, I though the same when Wes played a few matches last year (Greegsy's suspension iirc) and he was dropped when McGregor's suspension was over despite playing well!

Not sure I'd class the battle for number 1 as, 'interesting'.

AM is number 1, bar injury/suspension/needing a rest.

Back