Media narrative

Numans_Left_Peg

Heard a few clips of them comparing Morelos and Roofe as players.

Now in a normal country and a professional media presence then this would, on the face of it seem sensible and logical. Its the obvious comparison to make given one will likley be replacing the other.

But this is not a normal country and the media circles in Scotland are anything but professional.

In what amounted to be a 15 to 20 second clip they have a journalist from Leeds speak about Roofe. Within the clip they have spliced it ensure the mention of words like aggressive and bullish are included.

Now if I am thinking way too much into that then fair enough and admin can chop, I cant help but feel this is their usual tactic with a Rangers player they fear. Set the narrative early and watch it grow arms and legs. The plan being to upset the player and turn a potential talking to from the refferee to yellows and yellows to red.

They are masters at death by a thousand cuts.

Kent I feel will also be in for similar treatment this season.

I hope David Graham is relentless with them this season. The fight off the park will almost be as important on it.

Now in a normal country and a professional media presence then this would, on the face of it seem sensible and logical. Its the obvious comparison to make given one will likley be replacing the other.

But this is not a normal country and the media circles in Scotland are anything but professional.

In what amounted to be a 15 to 20 second clip they have a journalist from Leeds speak about Roofe. Within the clip they have spliced it ensure the mention of words like aggressive and bullish are included.

Now if I am thinking way too much into that then fair enough and admin can chop, I cant help but feel this is their usual tactic with a Rangers player they fear. Set the narrative early and watch it grow arms and legs. The plan being to upset the player and turn a potential talking to from the refferee to yellows and yellows to red.

I hope David Graham is relentless with them this season. The fight off the park will almost be as important on it.

You are definitely over thinking it on a massive scale, I heard the guys interview and that was his description, and it was very positive.

Even if OP is making too much of this one, there's no doubt there's been a media narrative against us that has affected referees etc. Morelos being the obvious example but also seen it with Jack/Kent. Will be interesting to see who they pick on next if Alfie goes

I really hope we win the 1st cup final against the mentally challengeds with an unintentional hand ball last minute just for the msm meltdown would be bliss

You are definitely over thinking it on a massive scale, I heard the guys interview and that was his description, and it was very positive.

I heard the initial interview and I agree it was positive and to be fair exactly what you expect from an actual journalist.

My point is the particular parts from overall piece they have decided to splice and use. The use of the word bullish and aggressive were both included in the shortened clip.

I can understand why he used they words as he does not have a dog in the fight so to speak and was giving an honest appraisal. It wouldn't be unlike the media up here to selectively quote.

I could very well be reaching but I also don’t think its purely coincidental.

Paranoia has taking over here.

The clip you heard on clyde was a guy from leeds united media and he gave a pretty honest description of the player.

Theres no way he was coached to say what he did.

He also said he was fast, direct and that we had got a good player.

You're reading far too much into it.

I know this, and I didn't suggest he was coached to say anything.

He gave an impartial professional opinion on Roofe as a player.

My point is the parts in which they have decided to use as a spliced clip.

It could very well be nothing and I am over thinking but the comparison of Morelos and Roofe they choose to focus on him saying agresive and bullish.

Just a thought.

The clip you heard on clyde was a guy from leeds united media and he gave a pretty honest description of the player.

It's very easy to do though mate in this wee backward, mentally challenged infested place.

We have far too many posters reading slights into interviews that aren't there. The other lot are paranoid enough for one country without us starting.

%^*& the mentally challenged media. Don’t buy it, click it, read it or listen to it.

Let it die.

OK mate I'll quickly turn the radio off next time I'm driving.

Don't buy paper's Don't Click, all very well and good but we have a massive amount of our fanbase who still rely on these forms of media, argue the merits if you like but it's a fact.

We still regularly have Record and Sun articles shared on here.

My concern is not really for fans as such but as I mentioned if you allow a narrative to be set up then it can potentially turn a yellow into a red.

Alfie certainly hasn't helped himself at times but no one will convince me otherwise a challenge from him had a potential card that another player wouldn't.

Narrative set and referee wether conscious or not has been influenced.

It could very well be nothing and I am over thinking but the comparison of Morelos and Roofe they choose to focus on him saying agresive and bullish.

Just a thought.

We better tell gerrard to stop saying we need a destroyer type midfielder. Doing their job for them??

I can see where you're coming from but imo its paranoia in this instance.

Just a thought.

You're correct in what you say. Its been going on so long many of our fans can't see what's happening.

When Hearts beat Rangers at the piggery in Walter Smith's last SCF I watched on TV. Just before the game ended the broadcaster somehow managed to get live footage of Rangers' fans leaving the ground. The camera must have been situated on the roof.

I remember this as the commentator sneeringly described our fans as if they were glory hunters and disloyal.

I suppose I'll be described as paranoid or told I should just have switched off.

We have far too many posters reading slights into interviews that aren't there. The other lot are paranoid enough for one country without us starting.

I very well could be, benefit of the forum is you can get a wider range of views and adjust your own accordingly.

For me, I heard the intial interview and then driving this morning heard the "clip".

Perhaps I am just so beaten down with the Rangers = bad narrative from all and sundry.

I just felt it was a deliberate choice of words to use.

If I'm wrong then quite happy to be so as I would be a welcome change from the usual media sly digs.

We better tell gerrard to stop saying we need a destroyer type midfielder. Doing their job for them??

I can see where you're coming from but imo its paranoia in this instance.

Possibly mate, as I've said to another poster you can get beaten down with the Rangers bad narrative.

Just to be clear, I am not mentioning it as I have an issue with the words used to describe his playing style. Nor do I have an issue with Gerarrd saying things like destroyer.

These are fairly common terms in football, but to anyone with an agenda they would twist it.

Hopefully it is inded nothing and Roofe is a resounding success, which I am sure he will be.

Just a thought.
Just to be clear, you're questioning the contents of a clip and those poo-pooing that are referring to the whole interview? They are not comparing like for like?
It's paranoia to highlight the editing of the whole interview giving a subset, cherry-picked specifically for the contents which ignores the 'fast and direct' etc. and chooses to highlight 'aggressive and bullish'?
That's not paranoia, NLP.

I’m getting concerned with the levels of delusion on here now.

Do much of the media dislike Rangers? Of course. But scarcely a day goes by on here now without people’s imaginations running wild.

The other day it was how Ian Croker was willing Aberdeen to score. People on here see and hear what they want to.

Just to be clear, you're questioning the contents of a clip and those poo-pooing that are referring to the whole interview? They are not comparing like for like?
It's paranoia to highlight the editing of the whole interview giving a subset, cherry-picked specifically for the contents which ignores the 'fast and direct' etc. and chooses to highlight 'aggressive and bullish'?

The bullish and aggressive part was said in the same clip as fast and direct. There was no chopping of the clip that only refrenced the bullish and aggressive parts.

OK mate I'll quickly turn the radio off next time I'm driving.

Don't buy paper's Don't Click, all very well and good but we have a massive amount of our fanbase who still rely on these forms of media, argue the merits if you like but it's a fact.

We still regularly have Record and Sun articles shared on here.

My concern is not really for fans as such but as I mentioned if you allow a narrative to be set up then it can potentially turn a yellow into a red.

Alfie certainly hasn't helped himself at times but no one will convince me otherwise a challenge from him had a potential card that another player wouldn't.

Narrative set and referee wether conscious or not has been influenced.

Correct again.

I wonder if the Jews in pre war Germany were advised to stop buying the papers?

Yes, I heard the longer version of him talking. If I had the clip I would post it.

He gave a positive take on Roofe as a player and then the obvious comparison to Morelos. I had no issue with what the guy said or how he said it.

He spoke in a positive manner in a way most football fans are used to hearing.

I was just highlighting that from his longer thoughts, the clip taken incuded the use of the words agresive and bullish.

I suppose what I felt was they are implying that we are replacing Alfie with another just like him, ergo hothead, thug etc all the usual crap they come away with.

I could very well be totally wrong, but I just wouldn't trust the media in this country in the slightest.

I get what the OP is saying and to a degree he has a point, but we need to be equally as wary about seeing a plot on every corner. I confess I havent seen Roofe play so I dont know if 'bullish & aggressive' is a suitable description or not. However, I really dont think a 20 second media clip is going to influence the authorities. If it does then we have a bigger problem with officials then we imagined.

The bullish and aggressive part was said in the same clip as fast and direct. There was no chopping of the clip that only refrenced the bullish and aggressive parts.

I don't have the clip but it was certainly a shorter part they used. Whether he said the two parts in the same sentence I can't say for sure.

I just felt from what he did say it was a deliberate choice to use that particular description.

From what I have seen of Roofe he is aggressive and does not get bullied, seems to have a better temperament than Alfie so hopefully wether I had valid point or not it's irrelevant and he scores plenty.

I was wondering about this recently.. when Morelos goes, who becomes the target?

I agree that it’ll suddenly be all about “£7m man Kent” and some short fuse that he is meant to have on the basis of bitch slapping Brown and reacting the other week in a friendly.

I don't have the clip but it was certainly a shorter part they used. Whether he said the two parts in the same sentence I can't say for sure.

I just felt from what he did say it was a deliberate choice to use that particular description.

From what I have seen of Roofe he is aggressive and does not get bullied, seems to have a better temperament than Alfie so hopefully wether I had valid point or not it's irrelevant and he scores plenty.

I was listening to it as i sat in traffic and i felt myself nodding to myself thinking 'sounds good'. Theres no way i came away from that clip thinking they are trying to make out hes a thug or something along them lines.

%^*& the mentally challenged media. Don’t buy it, click it, read it or listen to it.

Let it die.

I know. But then how can the OP cut out and stick articles onto his wall then sit and over think everything for hours and hours daily making scenarios up?

I was wondering about this recently.. when Morelos goes, who becomes the target?

I agree that it’ll suddenly be all about “£7m man Kent” and some short fuse that he is meant to have on the basis of bitch slapping Brown and reacting the other week in a friendly.

The Brown slap and his celebration at the piggery is still very much an open wound.

I get what the OP is saying and to a degree he has a point, but we need to be equally as wary about seeing a plot on every corner. I confess I havent seen Roofe play so I dont know if 'bullish & aggressive' is a suitable description or not. However, I really dont think a 20 second media clip is going to influence the authorities. If it does then we have a bigger problem with officials then we imagined.
A 20 second clip on its own doesn’t... but the message relayed over & over on multiple media channels does.

The BBC (yes them) had Kenny McIntyre talking to the Leeds captain and a Belgian journo about Roofe. Both were full of praise for KR. He's a nice guy and very hard working and determined. Both said if he steers clear of injury he will make a huge impact.

I hope OP wasn't on his way to work when he heard this on the car radio, because he's clearly getting zero done for worrying about Kemar Roofe being described as bullish o_O :))

I was listening to it as i sat in traffic and i felt myself nodding to myself thinking 'sounds good'. Theres no way i came away from that clip thinking they are trying to make out hes a thug or something along them lines.

The initial interview I was happy with, I actually thought that it was nice to hear a journalist just being honest with his appraisal of a player without the hint of a grudge.

The opposite of when someone up here talks about Alfie and you just know there is a but coming.

The way the world is particularly in media these days is short sharp clickbait, many people do not read beyond a headline so my thinking was they had a choice which words of his to use for their short snappy clip and they choose this particular part.

It was not that I felt they were flat out calling him a thug it was more a subtle way of saying Rangers have signed more of the same.

The BBC (yes them) had Kenny McIntyre talking to the Leeds captain and a Belgian journo about Roofe. Both were full of praise for KR. He's a nice guy and very hard working and determined. Both said if he steers clear of injury he will make a huge impact.

I think he will be massive for us, I really do.

It was not that long ago our very future was in doubt, now we have signed a former Leeds and Anderlecht striker who is just approaching his prime.

Delighted with the capture and excited for were we go next as a club.

Leave the paranoia to the mob across the city. Ignore the main stream media. We now have plenty of information being made available from Rangers sources, that's all any of us should be listening to.

The fact that we are announcing signings without the media having any idea is superb and long may it continue.

media narrative for the past decade is to bum up celtic players price tag.

Every moment they focus on 1 player until it becomes a lost cause or is sold.

At this time its Ajer. He is now worth 50 million, lol.

A few months back it was Ntcham, but that got found out and failed.

I know. But then how can the OP cut out and stick articles onto his wall then sit and over think everything for hours and hours daily making scenarios up?

Speaking of making scenario's up.

If you disagree with what I said thats absolutely fine, no issue with it. I have said it's good to use the forum to listen to others and change views accordingly.

I always try to be respectfull to other Rangers fans I guess you are the other guy.

Leave the paranoia to the mob across the city. Ignore the main stream media. We now have plenty of information being made available from Rangers sources, that's all any of us should be listening to.

The fact that we are announcing signings without the media having any idea is superb and long may it continue.

I do agree with the media side of things, H&H and FF really have all you need as a Rangers fan.

Gerarrd, Wilson and the board should take massive credit for how we are conducting our affairs. It is an issue where they are on the exact same wavelength as the majority of fans.

mentally challengeds are livid , we don't have the money , but now we've established we have they now want an enquiry as to where it's come from .Poor bastards shitin themselves.,..where's Mikey Stewart to tell us our finances

I really hope we win the 1st cup final against the mentally challengeds with an unintentional hand ball last minute just for the msm meltdown would be bliss
Personally, I’d prefer to hammer them with no controversy whatsoever, just so they can invent it later and make a cuunt of themselves. For an example, after we beat them in December 2018, we all know there was nothing remotely contentious and for a few days, there wasn’t a peep. Then one of them (or a journalist - same thing) unearthed Alfie kicking Brown’s arse and all hell broke loose. Was a good New Year :))

The only narrative I have noticed is timmy targets are amazing and always being chased by Barcelona and Real Madrid and ours are just meh.

Speaking of making scenario's up.

If you disagree with what I said thats absolutely fine, no issue with it. I have said it's good to use the forum to listen to others and change views accordingly.

I always try to be respectfull to other Rangers fans I guess you are the other guy.

The other guy :D

You said yourself you are likely over thinking it. But hey ho......

We should get on the offensive straight away and proclaim that we hope is not subject to the same racial prejudice when it comes to decisions and press narrative.

Shouldn't all be left to David Graham imo. We are hundreds of thousands in number and can play a huge part in the fight off the park also. Calling out wrong doing, misinformation, and incessant hatred is the responsibility of everyone in the Rangers family.

Back