Meet Charlie Lindsay - the Rangers signing who is Glentoran's youngest ever player

Davie Weir

Daily Record - Meet Charlie Lindsay the Rangers signing who is Glentoran's youngest ever player

The 15-year-old made an appearance against Ballyclare Comrades and his academy coach has tipped him for big things in Glasgow.

A teenager set to join Rangersnext summer has made history in Northern Ireland by becoming Glentoran’s youngest ever player.
Charlie Lindsay has agreed a move to Ibrox when he turns 16 but he has already made a mark in the senior game.

He made a second-half sub appearance for Glentoran in their win over Ballyclare Comrades on Tuesday night and at the age of 15 years, five months and 24 days it makes him a Glens history maker.

Now Lindsay – having already featuring Rangers youth teams as a guest player in tournaments such as the SuperCupNI – will officially join the Premiershipclub next summer on a permanent deal.
Glens academy coach David Lowry has backed him to be a big success when he moves across to Glasgow.

He told Belfast Live:"He is a box-to-box midfielder who covers every blade of grass.
"He is powerful and quick, and his range of passing is first class. He also knows when to pick a pass, and then he delivers it with precision. He ticks so many boxes as a footballer."

All the young lads are very grounded and have the right attitude. That can take you a long way in football.
"Charlie epitomises all that, and that's why he is rated so highly by Glentoran and Rangers. He has the potential to go very far, and he has a good family behind him.

He did really well in last night's game. He showed a few nice touches and played some good passes. Hopefully he gets another chance in the first team this season."

Rangers captured two players from Glentoran's rivals Linfield this summer with forward Ross McAusland and defender Lewis MacKinnon signing on for David McCallum's U18 squad.
The Ibrox side have regularly had Northern Irish players in their squad with Steven Daviscurrently at the club while the likes of Kyle Lafferty, David Healy and Chris Hegarty have all played in recent years.

I feel like I have to explain to you that he isn’t Spanish and neither is his brother Carlos Estevez

I don't know why, but this reminded me of the Tommy Cooper joke . . . "Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad, or me. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother HoChaChu. But I think it's Colin."

My mate in work did a bit of coaching at the glens youth team when his son was playing for them last year and hes been telling me about him for the last year. He says this kid has serious serious talent.

Back