Meeting Super

Skeletor

He Man is all man
Spinning off from the lounge thread about meeting famous people…

Is there any bears out there who haven’t met him? (Obviously if you’ve lived abroad most of your life the chances will be slimmer!)

Ran into him a few times in the 90’s in pubs and clubs in Glasgow (that’s where I suspect most people will have!). That was usually just a wave and a thumbs up if you shouted over to him.

Also got to spend half an hour with him when he was buying a suit from from me in Principles on Buchanan St, this was not long after he’s moved to Killie.
Had a good chat with him then but I was still a bit star struck so didn’t push my luck!
Smooth bastard had all the lassies in the shop dripping.

Most unusual time was going on to the Duelling Dragons rollercoaster in Universal Studios in Florida in the early 2000’s.

We were in the queue to get on and saw him coming out.
That was just another wave and thumbs up!

I should have met him, but haven't.

A mate of mine was a friend of Super at school, and occasionally was reacquainted at punk gigs.

He never got me to meet him.

My old ma knew his mum well from the OES, but she never got me to meet him.

I'm just waiting for a chance encounter now.

Met him when the team used to train up at Anniesland circa 1997. He was brand new, as likeable and charismatic as ever.

Met him in Vodka Vodka in Paisley many moon’s ago. Derek McInnes was with him. Both of them brand new.

Closest I've ever got is him pulling out of Bridge of Weir golf club and me giving him the thumbs up and getting the same back. But I'd like to progress from there and verbally communicate with him.

I've seen him but never 'met' him.

If I had the choice of bumping into any living person in the world in a boozer and having the chance to chew the fat over a pint or two, it would be Super Ally without question.

Was fortunate enough to be at a players and management end of season bash at the members lounge and got to speak to to super and also watch him in action singing dancing in the dark on karaoke. An absolute legend who even the most bitter Scottish football fan would struggle not to admire

Had the pleasure of his company a few times, both socially and professionally. Every time an absolute gentleman.

Met him a few times when I was younger at John wrights sport centre in Ek was always sound and had time for me and my pals

Never met him, but my old fella met him in Paisley about 25 years ago at Wellmeadow Bowling Club and had a pint, and got a cracking photo with him and McInnes. The photo was framed and stuck on his mantelpiece.

My brother also met him about 18 months ago, just before lockdown, was coaching at a Juniors game and Super had been watching a nearby game. He stopped for a chat and was brand new, as expected.

Signed my Rangers tattoo one night in Panama jacks ..he was in with Ally Dawson and Robert Prytz ..

Never washed my arm for a month ..lol

Met him years ago at an Old Firm game as I was lucky enough to be in the players lounge. He was with Gabby Logan and believe it not Stevie G. Spoke to them for 5 minutes and they were fantastic. Both signed my programme, along with Mols and De boer. Framed and in my sons bedroom. Think it was 2003, and we got beat.

Chatted to him many times upstairs in the Calderwood Inn, and his pal Knoxy. Cracking company, Knoxy lived in my grans street, so have known him for years and he would get us tickets anytime we asked.
That was in the 90s, he would chat to anyone, but not to be messed with.

Met him when I was 13 at a youth football tournament. He told our team we were brilliant after the game. Felt 100 foot tall.

Doesn’t really count, but when we played ICT in the cup one night, me and my pal were in the enclosure right next to the dugout. At the end of half time, as per all the kids were running over the get photos with the players on the bench.

Being a bit worse for wear, I had the idea to jump up and do the same, except solely to get a photo with Super. He was more than happy to do so and was back out managing.

Also met him when Hipsway played the KG bandstand and have him a massive hug.

Brand new both times.

Had a 10 minute chat with him a few years ago when we played the Victoria Highlanders in Canada.

It was all very natural and pleasant. He made us feel like friends not pain in the arse fans….

My hero as a young lad.

You know what they say about meeting your hero’s.

Super is the exception !

• Love
Reactions: TQ3
my old boy (taxi driver in EK for decades) told me he had AM in the cab and that mccoist had a few gold chains on him (rangers badge) and my dad gave him £25 for one then dropped him off at his mums in calderwood, just down from the Inn

now, my dad was a fly man, and i will never know if his story was true

he passed away last year and now i wear the gold chain

i choose to believe the story :)

Last edited:
first time I met him was when he,gough,and John greig came up to Kirkwall for a supporters club doo,my dad was a committee member so let me have the next day off to take them to the airport.remember he was reading a paper(sun I think)saying Aberdeen were wanting to sign him,and him saying I didn’t speak to them.

next time was at the World Cup road show he was up with the goalie,and chic young I remember asking him for a ticket cos I didn’t have one,he put my name at the door and I got 2 tickets.

the third and final time I met him was one day we were down for my papa’s funeral and happened upon wee doddie in the shop and he took us on a tour of the stadium.the player’s were in getting ready for a game wee doddie told us to wait at the bottom of marble staircase he disappeared for a few minutes and came back with super,the best thing was he remembered us from his visit before and his sympathy and empathy at the time was something I’ll never forget.

I haven’t but my uncle ran into him with his boys sonewhere up north after he was fishing and my uncle was on way home from a day trip. It was in a fish n chip restaurant and he accepted a pint from my uncle, and after a conversation my uncle paid for his suppers too, kind bloke, my uncle lol but I think he saw as nothing compared to the joy Supers gave us all!

I haven’t but my uncle ran into him with his boys sonewhere up north after he was fishing and my uncle was on way home from a day trip. It was in a fish n chip restaurant and he accepted a pint from my uncle, and after a conversation my uncle paid for his suppers too, kind bloke, my uncle lol but I think he saw as nothing compared to the joy Supers gave us all!
did he aye

Played with him for about 3 years in vets football.
Just the same guy in any company.
Laugh a minute.

Met him & a few other players during the 9 in a row season when they used to come up & train at Portland Park in Troon & would stay at the Marine Highland Hotel. Always got excited when we heard they were coming up

I grew up in EK so meeting him in pubs and clubs was a regular occurrence. An absolute gentleman. Nothing was a bother to him
I met him in the stork club in East Kilbride, i was pished and probably talking pish he was an absolute gentleman
My favourite ever Ranger

Any EK bears there when he had the penalty shootout to open Kirktonholme pitches when they changed from the half ash half grass to full grass pitches? Turned up about an hour late I’m sure in a flash yellow Audi :))

Spinning off from the lounge thread about meeting famous people…

Is there any bears out there who haven’t met him? (Obviously if you’ve lived abroad most of your life the chances will be slimmer!)

Ran into him a few times in the 90’s in pubs and clubs in Glasgow (that’s where I suspect most people will have!). That was usually just a wave and a thumbs up if you shouted over to him.

Also got to spend half an hour with him when he was buying a suit from from me in Principles on Buchanan St, this was not long after he’s moved to Killie.
Had a good chat with him then but I was still a bit star struck so didn’t push my luck!
Smooth bastard had all the lassies in the shop dripping.

Most unusual time was going on to the Duelling Dragons rollercoaster in Universal Studios in Florida in the early 2000’s.

We were in the queue to get on and saw him coming out.
That was just another wave and thumbs up!
Allys parents used to stay 2 doors down from my auntie in East Kilbride so I was lucky to meet him alot when I was younger. What a top guy.

Gave him directions to Cambuslang Rugby Club when I was a youngster when it was heavily snowing one night. He jokingly gave us into trouble for wrecking someone's nicely built snowman. Never realised it was him at first because of the snow. He was driving a yellow Audi and was wearing a cowboy hat. This was peak McCoist in the 90s and was my ultimate hero at the time. I couldn't wait to tell the family and everyone in school on Monday.

Met him backstage at SLF at the barrowlands
Bomber was there too
Still got the autographs
Beat hearts 3-1 that day as well, both played, super scored.

Back