Meeting Super

Never met him but did shout over to him just Before we went into the park lane on hope st when i spotted him walking up there when he was still playing.
i was surprised at how chunky he looked. When you saw him on the pitch at that time he looked thinner.
the best i could do was shout” super ally” i got a thumbs up and a big handsome smile.
that kept me going for the rest of the night or it could have been the beer.
i was always disappointed that he didnt do better as a manager.

Never met him in person, but my dad put him on the phone to me twice when he met him. Once I was about 5 or 6, another probably at least 10 years later. Just a quick hello and a few words, but top class. A total one-off, those of us who lived through his playing days were lucky we experienced him, and I don't know if we'll get another quite like him.

Reactions: TQ3
Met him at an autograph signing at Sports Division in Hamilton when I was a nipper. My dad had coached me about what I would say.

Me: Thanks very much Mr McCoist. Is it ok if I call you by your first name?

Ally: Of course it is wee man.

Me: Nice one, cheers Super.

Casually walked away intending on not turning back but as soon as I heard him laughing I had to and was met by the beaming Ally smile and a thumbs up.

Last edited:
Met him a few times, when I was a young bear cub, in the 90’s but never as an adult.

Would love to have a few beers with him now and reminisce about the 9 in a row era etc.

Met him a good few times. Two most unusual:

1. After a game in the 90s, he gave me and some family members a tour of the stadium.
2. World Cup Final 2006, met him after the game walking from the stadium to the metro, was so busy he was stuck with me for the full walk.

Meet him a couple of weeks ago on a flight from London to Glasgow. Charlie Adam was on the flight as well. Two wee boys asked Ally for a photo, no problem. Same wee boys asked CA, he told them maybe later. Super is different class.

Got a photo with him at Stenhousemuirs ground when we played the Shire there a few years back. He shit himself as we were a bit over enthusiastic. He said he thought he was getting mugged. Met Charles Green that day too, wish I had nutted him now.

Met him in the Horseshoe with Ian Durrant and Andy Goram, around 91.

Ally was great, the other two weren’t.

I met him and Walter once around 12 years ago when I worked in the railway. They were both kitted out in the golfing gear heading to Troon.
I shat it, felt like a stuttering wee kid checking their train tickets. :D:(

Met him at the Scotland v England rugby match at Murrayfield in 1998. Chatted to him for a bit but I could barely get a sensible word out, despite being completely sober. I’d still be the same if I met him again today.

One of his best mates was a guy called Cliff who lived in the flats right beside my house in EK. My sister used to babysit for Cliff and Lynn (well for their two kids) and I used to sometimes go with her in the hope that Super would end up back there, which he did a couple of times. Saw him round and about a few times when me and my mates were out kicking a ball around. For some reason the one that sticks in my head most was 1986 and I was 8. Said to him “I can’t believe you’re not in the World Cup squad” and he replied “I cannae believe it either son”. Top showbiz anecdote!

Spinning off from the lounge thread about meeting famous people…

Is there any bears out there who haven’t met him? (Obviously if you’ve lived abroad most of your life the chances will be slimmer!)

Ran into him a few times in the 90’s in pubs and clubs in Glasgow (that’s where I suspect most people will have!). That was usually just a wave and a thumbs up if you shouted over to him.

Also got to spend half an hour with him when he was buying a suit from from me in Principles on Buchanan St, this was not long after he’s moved to Killie.
Had a good chat with him then but I was still a bit star struck so didn’t push my luck!
Smooth bastard had all the lassies in the shop dripping.

Most unusual time was going on to the Duelling Dragons rollercoaster in Universal Studios in Florida in the early 2000’s.

We were in the queue to get on and saw him coming out.
That was just another wave and thumbs up!
Met him in the toilet in the Fox and Hounds on the Sunday night after the Rangers tournament, he was wearing a Sampdoria top with Lombardo on the back.

Met him when working for another club when we played at Ibrox.

This was obviously during the Spivs era and as such gave up my season ticket during their tenure, so was working for another club at the time.

Was incredibly warm and friendly after the match, everything you would expect. Could tell he had the weight of the world on his shoulders at the time but was just full of class.

Met him in 2019 in Villamora, Algarve.

He was coming out a pub as we walked up. On our first night, couldn't believe it. The pub was on its own, away from the main marina and we just went there as were still tired from the travelling.

I blurted out, its superAlly, quick hand shake and me saying "your my hero" :oops: And my wife having to take the pic of us as I was shaking. 50yo man ffs!!

Stood and chatted for quite a bit.

Absolutely made my holiday and every chance I got I nipped to that bar hoping to bump into him again.

Played with him for about 3 years in vets football.
Just the same guy in any company.
Laugh a minute.
I grew up in EK so meeting him in pubs and clubs was a regular occurrence. An absolute gentleman. Nothing was a bother to him
....and this is why as an almost 58 year old, I still love him. Like you two I knew him personally, and he has never treated me any differently from the first day we met at school, throughout his legendary career, until now. Thanks to his family, he has never forgotten his roots, or his friends and has genuinely made time for people, whether he knew them or not, and that’s why my almost 30 year old son still treasures an autograph and message from Super he received in a restaurant as an 8 year old, and just because Ally made time for an old acquaintance he spotted on the way by. A true legend!

After celtic game the other week in car park. The wee man had his picture taken with him. He was over the moon.

About 2007 my mobile went off and the voice on the other end of the phone was his saying hello this is Ally McCoist, my heart stopped for a minute thinking my goodness how did he get my number.

Reality kicked in and it was just a recorded message sent out by the club reminding fans to renew their season tickets for the following season.

One of his best mates was a guy called Cliff who lived in the flats right beside my house in EK. My sister used to babysit for Cliff and Lynn (well for their two kids) and I used to sometimes go with her in the hope that Super would end up back there, which he did a couple of times. Saw him round and about a few times when me and my mates were out kicking a ball around. For some reason the one that sticks in my head most was 1986 and I was 8. Said to him “I can’t believe you’re not in the World Cup squad” and he replied “I cannae believe it either son”. Top showbiz anecdote!
Was that Cliff that was his agent for a while. If so that’s his son that gets told the story at the start of the 9iar season video

Met him lots of times growing up in EK, in the Dollan Baths a few times, waited outside the local community centre in the rain one Saturday night for two hours to see him ( was 12 at the time).
Last time I met him was in the Bramalea RSC in Canada the summer of 98 when I was over there.
Legend.

He was on the same flight as me coming back from Moscow a couple of seasons ago , when we got to Amsterdam I was surprised to see him in the que behind me for the flight boarding to Aberdeen and I got chatting to him , he even came and spoke to me outside Aberdeen Airport when we were both waiting for lifts, he was doing the Sheep Hibs game for BT on the Friday night.

Was that Cliff that was his agent for a while. If so that’s his son that gets told the story at the start of the 9iar season video
I never knew that at the time but just looked it up and the same surname… if I recall correctly his boy was Michael - hard to imagine a top footballers agent living in a council flat on a (admittedly quite nice) council estate. The eighties were a different time!

I remember being impressed because Cliff got a mention in Ally’s first autobiography and I felt very close to fame!

I have had the great fortune to have been in his company numerous times over the years through mutual friends. A total gentleman and isn't that bad a chanter either.

I grew up in EK so would bump into him regularly in pubs and clubs. Tuesday night at the Gemini was a particular favourite of McCoist, Durrant and Derek Ferguson if no midweek game.

I never knew that at the time but just looked it up and the same surname… if I recall correctly his boy was Michael - hard to imagine a top footballers agent living in a council flat on a (admittedly quite nice) council estate. The eighties were a different time!

I remember being impressed because Cliff got a mention in Ally’s first autobiography and I felt very close to fame!
Aye they moved to those houses just before the wee bridge to go over Hamilton back road.

Ally must have paid well :))

Bumped into him and Derek McInnes a couple of weeks ago at the BP Garage next to the Premier Inn at Glasgow Airport, just finished what looked to be a day on the Golf course, no time to bug the tits off them but did manage an "awright lads" met him on a few occasions previously... always strikes me that he has time for everyone.. some footballers should take note especially where young kids are concerned, hate seeing pros brush youngsters aside and makes excuses.

Met Ally a number of times in East Kilbride Police Club. As sonn as Ally heard the club were having a charity night he would arrive with lots of goodies to be bidded for. He never ever asked to be paid for his involvement in any charity evenings and would arrive on a very regular basis. A total gentleman.

Met him a few times over the years. A few player of the year dos with Ally belting out Born to Run at one of them.
Another time, in the early 90s, I was in Cruise one Friday afternoon and noticed the doors being locked. Wondered what was going on until I looked up and saw Super and Durranty standing across from me. Just a quick "How's it going lads" before leaving them in peace.

I should have met him, but haven't.

A mate of mine was a friend of Super at school, and occasionally was reacquainted at punk gigs.

He never got me to meet him.

My old ma knew his mum well from the OES, but she never got me to meet him.

I'm just waiting for a chance encounter now.
I forgot to mention in this that my mate says Ally is a contender for "longest in the shower".
"Chapeau", if true.

Met him once in the Grangemouth Rangers Club in the 80's.
Sound as %^*&.... there was few of us sitting in the function hall and he just came in and sat down next to is and chatted away like hed known us for years.
Absolute 100% top man and legend.
I remember thinking at the time bizarrely that hed make a great salesman.

I was working in the Dome in Edinburgh about 99 and Ally came to the bar and asked for a bottle of champagne.

”certainly , what kind would you like?’

”big man, I’ve not got an effin clue about champagne, just give me any one, but not too dear as I don’t like them that much”

Is there any bears out there who haven’t met him? (Obviously if you’ve lived abroad most of your life the chances will be slimmer!)

Ran into him a few times in the 90’s in pubs and clubs in Glasgow (that’s where I suspect most people will have!). That was usually just a wave and a thumbs up if you shouted over to him.

Also got to spend half an hour with him when he was buying a suit from from me in Principles on Buchanan St, this was not long after he’s moved to Killie.
Had a good chat with him then but I was still a bit star struck so didn’t push my luck!

Most unusual time was going on to the Duelling Dragons rollercoaster in Universal Studios in Florida in the early 2000’s.

Met him a couple of times, great guy. When he was playing I was working at Ibrox and went into Main Stand he was up out of his seat asking if I needed a seat. Sat down and he spoke constantly most about Ted McMinn.
Years later he was in Cupar and I was stopped in street and told he was in pub. I told said person to send him to meet me. Didnae happen.

Met him a few times in the local pub, now demolished, around early 2000s when he lived in the area. Was a wee quiet "old guys" type of pub, run by an eccentric bar manager. Still used to close at 10pm midweek. I dropped in for a pint about 9.45 one night and the only other customer in was Super. Had a good wee chat with him and he bought me a beer!

I was in hospitality when we won the first division. He came round the suites after. Took a selfie with him and the trophy. He left then I looked at my phone and the fuckin picture never took. Absolutely gutted.

Met him a few times in the local pub, now demolished, around early 2000s when he lived in the area. Was a wee quiet "old guys" type of pub, run by an eccentric bar manager. Still used to close at 10pm midweek. I dropped in for a pint about 9.45 one night and the only other customer in was Super. Had a good wee chat with him and he bought me a beer!
Golf inn??

my old boy (taxi driver in EK for decades) told me he had AM in the cab and that mccoist had a few gold chains on him (rangers badge) and my dad gave him £25 for one then dropped him off at his mums in calderwood, just down from the Inn

now, my dad was a fly man, and i will never know if his story was true

he passed away last year and now i wear the gold chain

i choose to believe the story :)
My mate stayed in calderwood and we used to hang about outside the bookies waiting for him. Even shamelessly knocked on his maws door one day to ask for his autograph as star struck 10 year olds

Back