Memories of Davie 'Bamby' McPherson

Scored a great, late equaliser for Hertz v the manks that helped us win the league one year

He was an average centre half, always a heartbeat away from doing something stupid and gifting the opposition a goal. Did a job at the time I guess.

After 23 odd years of unforgiving you should maybe You Tube that moment, Ally Maxwell 100% to blame for that goal, all McPherson did was give the ball to him, and it was a perfectly good back-pass. Maxwell made an erse of it.

He was short on the backpass. Maxwell could still have just papped it into the stand though.

McPherson could have fucking launched it instead the fucking doss lady's front bottom.

Pair of fucking fannies.

That should have been an unprecedented Double Treble for Rangers. One of the worst days ever of supporting us. We just didn't turn up at Hampden.

The run to that cup final was similar to the run up to the Hibs Final under Warburton.

After the league was sealed we downed tools completely and never won a game the rest of the season if I remember right.

Our sole tactic in that final was lump long diagonals at Hateley, then bring on Ferguson and lump it long to both. It was fucking awful.

Great memories of Big Dave.

One only needs to look at his medal collection to guage an idea of how good a player he was.

Vastly underated.

He was very average and not my cup of tea, but certainly put the effort in unlike some today.

Souness punted him and Derek Ferguson to Hearts.

Walter re-signed him in 92 - more to do with the 3 foreigner rule than anything.

Then punted back along the M8 again as part payment for McLaren.

Not the best - but not the worst either.

Remember his testimonial when Gavin Hastings came on as a sub. On the train home, went for a "light relief" and there was a couple at it in the train toilet. :)

I thought his nick name was Big Hen Broon, but maybe it was the guy that sat beside me in the Govan all those years ago that called him that.

I remember being absolutely beside myself with incredulity when we re-signed him from Hearts. Ultimately though a good servant to Rangers and he got a better haul of medals than players of similar standard so all good really!

A very good centre half who was played at right back to accommodate others.

Him and Maxwell cost us back to back trebles though.

Outside of the game an absolute gent.

Big Slim was a not bad, solid and reliable defender.

5 goals IIRC against Valetta in a UEFA cup tie. a good few championship medals, but him and Ally Maxwell sold the 1994 Cup Final with a monumental %^*& up

This is how I remember him. We missed out on back-to-back trebles due to his cock up and Ally Maxwell being a poor goalkeeper.

I remember sitting in a near deserted govan front one rainy day in early 80s - someone shouted that he looked like he was running in high heels !!!
That always stuck with me.
awkward looking but undoubtedly a good player and great servant to Rangers

Done fine in92-93 season but him and maxwell in the 94 cup final fucked the double treble

Naw he was named "Bambi" because he looked like the wee deer on ice in the movie - All over the place

Blue tinted specs on for anyone putting him anywhere above average - glad to see back of him twice

Sorry, harsh but true
3 league titles, 4 league cups and 1 scottish cup with us.
Our team can only dream of that haul.

Has to have the most nicknames of any Rangers player. Big Sadie we called him. My abiding memory is mainly of the hilarious sight of his big perm bouncing around as he gangly ran around. Steady enough at ch for us and had a decent partnership with Gough. We didn’t concede many headers in our box with those two at the back

The blue Brazilian had an outstanding Rangers career , playing over 300 games , winning the best part of ten trophy’s , also over 300 games for hearts , not to mention about 30 Scotland caps , although tall , he was excellent with ball at feet , which is never great viewing for our support .

Very good player. Skill full ball playing CH. For those in Edinburgh you quite often see him in bruntsfield TX area.

I believe that he and Billy Davies were schoolmates at Crookston Castle school (my old school)in Pollok and Rangers were desperately trying to sign Davies as were most clubs in Britain at that time .Apparently Davies asked if he could bring his mate Davie along to the trial and an upshot of that was that Rangers signed both of them.
As I said Davies was one of the most promising and in demand players in Britain at the time ,yet it was big Davie who had the more successful career winning trophies and International caps.
haha..im a mate of his brother Archie and met Davie loads at his house, usually wi Ally, and was told that story and thought it was bollocks. We were the ones that got Ally into Killing Joke.

one of the funniest moments at Ibrox

against Hibs early 80's, Big Slim see's the keeper well out his goal, shoots from the half way line
ball curls over the desperate Hibs keeper and Davie turns and starts celebrating...
the ball keeps curling and goes just outside the post...while Dave is still off celebrating
only 16 1/2 K at Ibrox and I think we all burst out laughing
won 3-1, Big Slim not a bad player for us
Nah it didnt go by the post, it stuck in the mud in the 6 yard box, did it not?

He never got much appreciation due to his appearance and style, but you don’t play for Rangers and Scotland for several years, in that era, without being a decent player. Often shunted to right back too, which he never was, and that made him look a bit clumsy at times having to go forward, but he rarely let the team down.

A few players of that era tend to get easily forgotten amongst the usual legends, but guys like McPherson, Durie, Bjorklund, Alan McLaren, Davie Robertson, Spackman, Petric, Trevor Steven etc, were very good players for us, certainly domestically.

Big 'Diamond' Dave was a very underrated player for us and was missed when he left the club, he wasn't the best or biggest name to play in our defences of that era but certainly held his own and gave 100% effort.

I think he suffered coming into the first team playing alongside Craig Paterson (who was mince IMO) and it took him a good while to regain his confidence after a poor start.

We could sure do with someone like him now.
Craif Paterson was 6'4"" when standing but 5'4" when he jumped for a header.
Never known a player that was so poor at timing his jump for a header.

He was in great form for Hearts when we signed him in 1992 and was a regular in a Scotland side that was qualifying for tournaments. Then he went on to play in one of the greatest Rangers sides of modern times. Not bad going at all.

Big slim done a job.
He ended up back and forth on the M8 like a cowboy looking a for ranch to work on.
Worse than big slim there has been.

sorry for all of the new threads admin.....I'm off sick with man flu

Played in arguably the greatest Rangers side of all time but is never mentioned in favourite player chats. I'm 34 so my memories are quite remote. Awkward looking but positionaly good.

Remember him playing for Hearts at Ibrox and passing the ball back for Henry Smith to pick up the whole game (the season before the pass back rule)
I remember him quite well - lovely fella- affectionately known as bomb scare!

When we resigned him from Hearts I had my reservations, we were signing internalionally know players from all over Europe. Big man came back in and was outstanding, even in spells at right back.

Played right back against Leeds I believe and was outstanding in both games.

Bulleted in a header which led to Super's goal at Ibrox.

Back