Memories of football from years back

Watching the reserve team when the first team where away from home at Ibrox at 3pm on the Saturday.
The Holi Holi Hooligan chant when it kicked off in the ground.
No CCTV
New year games on Jan 1st and the 3rd
Leaving for Aberdeen away at 7am for a 3pm kick off

Getting in an hour before ko to get the best position in the singing section.

The occasional young ladies who ventured round the track being urged to get their tits out for the lads.

Football specials that resembled a train taking the troops to the front line.(very true of Easter Rd).

Opening a empty beer can with the new 50p piece to have a pish.

Going out to the game early on a Saturday morning and returning home sometime on a Sunday to the withering look of yer Maw usually reserved for alley cats.

Always keeping it classy loyal. :cool:

Countless supporters buses lined up along Govan road right down to Plantation.
Paying a pound a week as member of a club and going to Aberdeen and Dundee and still paying a pound and staying in a boarding house overnight and leaving at 15.00 on the Sunday when the pubs closed.
A sweep on the bus for first goalscorer.
Club dinner dance and at least 2 players attended..Oh the memories

Off topic from Rangers but the FA cup games live on match of the day through 90s was essential in my house.

When teams used to care about it.

It would be like the Man Utd first team going to a Div 4 team and scraping a 1-0 win.

Now I couldn’t even tell you who won it last year.

Also rember the FA Cup final having a whole day's build up for the game.

Waking up on a Saturday and knowing you were going to see The Rangers at 3pm, home or away.

Huge away supports, taking over towns all over the country.

Full bus loads of RSC's all heading to the same place.

Having a Sunday to recuperate.
I used to love away days. My season ticket was in the copland so away days & hampden meant I got to stand on the terraces (apart from Aberdeen.. but the old beach end was a good atmosphere tbf)

At pretty much every home game singing "andy andy give us the sash!" at goram who would duly oblige.

This was in the years before the offended bus turned up and sucked every bit of humour out of the game.

Remember going to pub then deciding to go to Ibrox, no season ticket needed pre Souness
Sitting in Quaich in Shawlands then deciding at 1 20 to go to Dundee to see us playing the Arabs. Got in 2 minutes after kick off we're 1 up and we won the league that day (1976 ?).
Thinking about it, I told my wife I was going for a pint so she'd expect me home at 3pm, probably nearer 8 when I got home (no mobiles in those days)

I remember my older brother going tonto at the guy selling the Chipmunk crisps because they had gone up from 2p to 2 1/2p next season ... so I went in a huff because he wouldn't buy me any.

Used to love seeing old Ibrox in the snow.

Games were either 3pm Saturday or 7.30pm on a Wednesday - occasionally there would be an afternoon European game because of the time difference if it was Eastern Europe or just foreign TV companies picking stupid KO times. The Germans used to be bad for it, I recall us playing Borussia Dortmund (1999) and Kaiserslautern (2000) away whilst sneakily listening to the commentary in school. Also had a "dentist appointment" when we played Parma away in 1998 - would've been better actually going to the dentist tbh.

Domestic TV coverage was basically highlights on Sportscene or Scotsport and live games were either cup finals unless STV just randomly decided to do a live game - then it became a sort of big event.

Clyde SSB being a must listen back in the day if you wanted to keep up to date with the games. Also had Dick Donnelly reporting in from a dull, dreich, Dens or Tannadump for whichever Scumdee club was at home that weekend.

All the Scottish Derbies taking place on the same day rather than spread out over the fixture calender.

Signing what you want and nobody got offended. Plenty of stuff shouted or sung that was arguably "close to the bone" or may even have drawn a few "ooofts" but there were no tears or faux offence. They sang something bad, sing something just as harsh and maybe add some interest while you're at it. :shh:

The sway in the EE
Waiting for the postman to see if I got an important away ticket that I applied for using the extra vouchers at the back of the ST

Watching the reserve team when the first team where away from home at Ibrox at 3pm on the Saturday.
The Holi Holi Hooligan chant when it kicked off in the ground.
No CCTV
New year games on Jan 1st and the 3rd
Leaving for Aberdeen away at 7am for a 3pm kick off
“Your going home in a St Johns Ambulance “

Games played in most weather, players wearing trainers when it was snow and ice,keepers wi bunnets to sheild the sun from their eyes.

Games were either 3pm Saturday or 7.30pm on a Wednesday - occasionally there would be an afternoon European game because of the time difference if it was Eastern Europe or just foreign TV companies picking stupid KO times. The Germans used to be bad for it, I recall us playing Borussia Dortmund (1999) and Kaiserslautern (2000) away whilst sneakily listening to the commentary in school. Also had a "dentist appointment" when we played Parma away in 1998 - would've been better actually going to the dentist tbh.

Domestic TV coverage was basically highlights on Sportscene or Scotsport and live games were either cup finals unless STV just randomly decided to do a live game - then it became a sort of big event.

Clyde SSB being a must listen back in the day if you wanted to keep up to date with the games. Also had Dick Donnelly reporting in from a dull, dreich, Dens or Tannadump for whichever Scumdee club was at home that weekend.

All the Scottish Derbies taking place on the same day rather than spread out over the fixture calender.

Signing what you want and nobody got offended. Plenty of stuff shouted or sung that was arguably "close to the bone" or may even have drawn a few "ooofts" but there were no tears or faux offence. They sang something bad, sing something just as harsh and maybe add some interest while you're at it. :shh:
Remember getting out of school early for the Dortmund and Parma games

In my last 2 years at school my mum always allowed me the day off for the week euro games

Reading the grandstand thread got me thinking how much has changed going to matches as a young lad in 1993 up until now. I’m sure a lot of older bears will have far more memories than myself in the last 30 years but some of my favourite memories are:

1. My dad going to the football. He still watches every game on tv but hasn’t been since the advocaat era. Have managed to pick up spares for a few games through the years but he just doesn’t wanna go. Would love to get him back for a few games again!

2. The old days of a sash bash going on on the ferries after every home game. Used to be brilliant fun and atmosphere for a young lad. Wish it was still like that

3. The atmosphere. Not sure if it was because I was young the atmosphere felt alot better than it does now but I remember Ibrox used to be bouncing

I’m sure more memories will pop up later on in the thread but these are 3 that stand out so far
You must be of a similar age, and location.
Remember the ferry across, and more specifically back home - the bar on the boat was bouncing.
Standing outside the chippy across from the (now) Louden, then the old Stadium Bar.
Getting back on the bus to Stranraer, listening to full times on radio, wet, windows steamed up.
The laughs, banter.
Sitting in Broomloan Rear wishing i could get a ticket for GF3/4/5.
The buzz from my first game, winters afternoon, Flood lights on.
Trying to tune in the 14" portable to pick up league cup/Scottish Cup finals at home
Buying the Rangers news (paper version first, then magazine format) on way home from school.
Thinking at the beginning wtf did ever see in Mark Hateley!
They were the days for sure.

approaching tannadice and pittodrie sometimes 20-30 mins before kick off and the singing was already in full swing.before the by pass was built standing in forfar waiting to be picked up by the Dundee Loyal on the way to Aberdeen and bus after bus full of bears acknowledged you by giving the old red hand salute out of the window and you would see a bear sitting at the back of the bus playing a flute.

I can never forget watching the team warm up before the match. We would get to Ibrox very early and sit right behind the goals so we could see the forwards taking crosses from wee Willie and Jimmy Millar heading the ball into the net. When he connected with the ball you could feel the energy. He had a big strong heid that man.
Oh, and a Pie and Bovril at half time.

No segregation at away games, usually resulting in a battle where the Bears took over.
As others have mentioned "err ra cheese an' ra meat rolls", "macaroon bars and ra spearmint choooing gum" (never Wrigleys, Maple Leaf or Beech Nut). Pish everywhere.

Cattle class football special trains.
10 min half time interval.
Black and white tv, highlights of rangers and hearts for example hard to tell who was who.
We sung what we wanted.

Lots of memories,players got a way with more then,honest tackling being allowed,John Greig and Doug Baillie going for a 5050 both sliding in,grown men in the crowd wincing the ball almost irrelevant.Carry outs at the game,the black Ash at Hampden,away grounds always rammed,football specials,theDerry/Shed,changing ends at half time and one special memory of watching us beat the mhanks from the press box at Ibrox which used to be on the roof of the main stand.

I said in the other thread I'd love to go back and take in a game from the 60's or 70's, changed my mind as most of the match day experience back then appears to be avoiding pish......

Used to always buy a badge outside the ground. I have hundreds of badges
Outside the subway badge seller sold badges with %^*& the ira,%^*& Bobby sands and ftp etc.i also bought “here lies a soldier” single and a couple of months later an ep with heroes of the uvf,fields of ulster and the young calvey volunteers on it.the songs were written and performed by a band called The Derry.all outside the subway.

Wearing a scarf round the neck accompanied with another on each wrist, strutting to the game with denim flares rain soaked up to the knees singing 'do you want to have a go with the Ibrox aggro?' with kerry oot in hand.

Easter Road was particularly bad for that! There was a big winding hill to go up to get to the terracing and folk would all have a pish at the back wall on the way up.
The wee guy with "the cheese or the meat" stood at the bottom of the hill, right in the path of the yellow river.
Tannadice the same

Wearing a scarf round the neck accompanied with another on each wrist, strutting to the game with denim flares rain soaked up to the knees singing 'do you want to have a go with the Ibrox aggro?' with kerry oot in hand.
There was a song sung around that time about The Billy Boys wearing Wranglers to our knees, smoking Morrocan dope and not liking the Pope - I believe :):)

Not repeating all the ones already mentioned, here's another few.

Getting lifted over the turn-styles as a boy, then getting told to stand at the wall at the front and not move.
Then kidding on you were under 16 to get in at the boys gate.
Early 70s, still a few supporters with 'rattles' that they spun round that gave off a 'clicking' noise.
Guys with hard hats from building sites painted in red white and blue with various slogans.
Hand knitted scarves and tammies
Scarves (and the odd denim jacket/waist coat) covered with patches.
Folk going round the park with a bed sheet held up for people to throw coins into it for a particular charity. (A few pies were thrown:)
The girls from the turn styles going round the park with their takings - often to an accompanying song.
The dust in the Rangers end at Hampden going into your nose/lungs whenever we scored.
The horrendous crushes in the walkway round the back of the terracing at their midden when you would come out with red ash up to your knees and not remembering getting your feet on the ground.
Fights starting and a big circle suddenly appearing in the terracing - only to be followed up with cries of 'Hooli, hooli, hooligans....'

As a few others have commented, all seater stadia is a huge advance on what we used to be in.

I have the programme from the Dortmund game in 99 and kick off was half 8 on Channel 5 and so was the game in the Champions League in 95 on STV.

I can only go back 21 years but I always me and my dad walking down from Southcroft Street along Vicarfield Street by the old sadly missed Govan bowling club onto Copland Road and then when got to the subway the place was mobbed. Good old days

“Get your official macaroon bars”
Still don’t know too this day what was official about them.

Looking to see if the tv cameras were covering the game
Singing "glory glory" when a hated opposition player went down after being halfed
Having to smuggle in a half bottle and 2 cans as payment from receiving a lift over from an older boy on bus
Flying pomagne bottles anytime the opposition scored
Going round all the buses just to look at the shield they displayed[usually had to kill a few hours at aberdeen and dundee]

Some great memories on this.

I’m off today today and as it’s a shitty day outside I might go through all my old programmes from the 90s that I brought from my mums attic. Must have near 100 of them. Plus some of my dads old programmes from the 70s

Back