Memories of Gary Stevens

What are people's thoughts on him?

Mine are that he was a really consistent full back for us from 1988-1992. He had a great engine to get up and down the pitch. He didnt play regularly the following 2 seasons he had with us. He got a bad injury and was never quite the same player again

A mate of mine said recently that he only got booked once in his entire Rangers career, which if true is amazing for a full back.

I saw him at the ten pin bowling once.

Best right back in my lifetime and we haven't come close to replacing him since he left.Plenty of top left backs but a quality RB of Stevens' ability has never signed.

England’s current right back went for £50m in the summer and he doesn’t have the big game experience that Stevens did at that stage.
I don’t follow England so I don’t know who you are talking about. Believe me I am not at the wind up I honestly don’t know who the current full back is. It doesn’t really matter because as I said in my first post I was disappointed in Gary Stevens. He was OK but no more imo

Great engine , up and down the park all day . Superb long throw , we scored a few from them . Average distribution let him down a bit . For me he was a great player for us , but obviously not in the same league as Sandy Jardine , then again very few are . That pass back never cost us the cup and a treble . It was the cheating bastard Aitken who knew full well it had came off him . We were right in line with it , he grabs the ball , takes the throw in , and the ref waves play on ! 5 seconds later its in the net .

Back