Memories of Gary Stevens?

Excellent player but.... remember his pass-back in '89 cup final lead to spotty Joe Miller scoring for them. Did the same for Everton v Liverppol in '86 cup final.

A modern full back with a Rolls Royce engine under the Rangers jersey...scored first in NIAR, started the move for Wilkins goal and crossed(not great but) for Mojo's goal via Dhims.

Yes...decent player.

First- Class right back and England regular
Second- My Dad could not stand him as his distribution was not up to his standard
Third -That back pass in 89

First- Class right back and England regular
Second- My Dad could not stand him as his distribution was not up to his standard
Third -That back pass in 89
Agree with this.

His passing was dreadful tbf. Every game he’d pass the ball straight out the park. McCoist even has a story on it.

Gary Stevens was great player of us, fit as fk. I managed as a 18 year old to play golf with him and two others, nice guy and a great golfer (really good, could have played pro golf easily). Good guy

Signed on this day in 1988, he went on to play 246 times for the bears, winning 9 major honours.

Bought from Everton where he had won 2 league titles, an FA cup and the European cup winners cup, it’s safe to say he ended his career with a fair few winners medals!

I was just too young to appreciate him and hadn’t realised he was injured for the bulk of our treble winning/European success campaign of 92/93. Thought he had actually been moved on and didn’t realise how many games he actually played for us!

He also scored the first goal on the match to 9IAR!

Bizarrely, despite this, I got talking to a Toffee in The Gynn boozer in Blackpool sometime around 1999 - 2000 who held the opinion that "Gary Stevens is a shithouse".

Go figure!!???

Excellent player but.... remember his pass-back in '89 cup final lead to spotty Joe Miller scoring for them. Did the same for Everton v Liverppol in '86 cup final.
He didn't track Miller that's true. But the goal came from a Roy Aitken throw in. A stolen throw in iirc. That was a Rangers ball. Think Valentine was the ref.

Fantastic footballer.’he had his stag night at a club in Stirling. The whole team were there including Mo Johnston. He was pumping a wee blonde thing that went up on our bus.

He didn't track Miller that's true. But the goal came from a Roy Aitken throw in. A stolen throw in iirc. That was a Rangers ball. Think Valentine was the ref.

100% stolen and my first memory of being genuinely raging after a fitba match.

Aitken being the first player I ever hated - the torn faced prick that he was/is.

Interview with the man himself from the 22:00 min mark, a couple of his goals featured too.

A magnificent right back who was a terrific athlete. Great going forward and solid defending. Without a doubt the second best full back in the last 50 years after Sandy for the Gers. If Tav keeps progressing the way he is over the next 2-3 years, he might be almost as good as Stevens was. When you have watched Jardine & Stevens, you understand what great looks like.

He now owns a few Physiotherapy businesses over here in Perth. Big on the dry needling.

Fantastic player. A moder day full back before they were popular.

Best Rangers RB in my lifetime, quality player
I entirely agree with this.
I’d say the only world class right back we’ve ever had.
He was bought for European success at a time when Rangers were looking to dominate in more than just the domestic scene

A magnificent right back who was a terrific athlete. Great going forward and solid defending. Without a doubt the second best full back in the last 50 years after Sandy for the Gers. If Tav keeps progressing the way he is over the next 2-3 years, he might be almost as good as Stevens was. When you have watched Jardine & Stevens, you understand what great looks like.
I’d call Tav’s tackling ability as something he had to work on also he gets caught out of position far too often. I’m not sure you can teach someone that.
Stevens was England’s first choice right back, IMHO Tav isn’t even in England’s top 10 right backs.

Scored against Hamilton on the very 1st day of the season in 88 the 1st season of our 9 championships in a row.

Was at the game and never dreamed that goal would be the start of such a successful run. You could tell right away he was quality, a real athlete and a coup for us to bring in England’s established right back at that time.

My sister in law stays in perth, the wife wants me to go and visit, whats it like.

Its a lot warmer and sunnier than Scotland. Beautiful beaches, City is cracking.
If you get the chance head South to Margaret River wine country.
And drive-thru off licences.

Just feeling the sun on your back and swimming in the Ocean is a great feeling.

Good for you. Seemed to score a lot as defenders usually never scored. IIRC was mostly
his first two seasons.

He almost never scored irc he scored on the opening game at Hamilton might have been his debut and never scored again that season.

He almost never scored irc he scored on the opening game at Hamilton might have been his debut and never scored again that season.
He was always up in support of the attack and played many balls in and across the box. I think this is where we think he scored more for us than the reality.

He was always up in support of the attack and played many balls in and across the box. I think this is where we think he scored more for us than the reality.

Ricksen was very similar when at full back but maybe it's just me I don't associate that with goals.

If Stevens was really accurate with the ball he would have been off the scale good-he wasn't unfortunately.

His goal versus St Mirren on the day the Championship trophy was presented, IIRC. We won 4-0.

He was an excellent and reliable player.

He was injured and pissed out his fucking nut the rest of the time. It was different days back then but he used to send souness mental at times.

Listened to the Gary Stevens podcast earlier.. had probably forgotten about that clearance at the Piggery.

I was probably a bit harsh on Stevens in his first season - 13yr old me felt he was replacing my hero Graham Roberts and had a dim view of Stevens initially. I sobered up by the end of the season and during 89/90, Stevens was part of the best back 4 and goalkeeping unit that I am ever likely to watch on a regular basis.

I firmly believe that Souness would have signed Davie Robertson if he had stayed and the idea of having fullbacks who bombed forward and supported the attack was years ahead of its time.
That Rangers had that type of player left and right in 1991/92 accounted for a ridiculous amount of attacking play and goals.

Gary Stevens was bloody magic and must be the barometer of a rightback for anyone around their early to late 40s.

I’d call Tav’s tackling ability as something he had to work on also he gets caught out of position far too often. I’m not sure you can teach someone that.
Stevens was England’s first choice right back, IMHO Tav isn’t even in England’s top 10 right backs.

Believe me mate, you don’t need to convince me. I am not a big Tav fan as my many critical posts of him would attest, I was just trying to help his FF fan boys understand how far short of Stevens standards JT really is. Credit to Tavernier though, he does improve every season.

Was at the game and never dreamed that goal would be the start of such a successful run. You could tell right away he was quality, a real athlete and a coup for us to bring in England’s established right back at that time.

Me neither, especially as we made heavy weather of it at Douglas Park that day. He was quality.

Back