Memories of Glasgow amateur football teams from the 70s and 80s

I was their youngest-ever Captain at 18.

Coming from the Wellhouse area I felt as though I'd hit the big time when I signed for them.

Great times.
I can remember in the late 70's, when starting to play under age football you actually had to sign some official form. Remember thinking how much of a big deal this was. Then I resurrected my career in the mid 90's in the Scottish Amateur league, I expected something similar, but found out you just turned up and played.

dirtiest team I ever played against in the late 70's were a team from kirky called Hillhead a right shower of dirty bastards, it was in the Scottish amateur league, and they went on to become Strathkelvin and were actually a good side if they could have concentrated on just playin fitba
My Grandparents were from Hillhead in Kirky - used to spend my summer holidays there lol

Can well believe they would have been rough.

Was the Junior Cup Final on the TV at Hampden back in the day?

Remember Auchinleck Talbot having a big support as a kid and when they came to play Rob Roy they brought about 3000 fans through

In the fifties I played in the Scottish Amateur league for Clydesmill out of Cambuslang I was told Clyde were looking at me.I was warned not to go outside and play sunday football. So I played sunday football. Of course, I tore my lateral cartiledge and was out of the scene for a year. I attended the royal and of course was told not to play football again. It was a year and a half before I could put on strip again. I played again and tore my cartilege again .Bye that time I was a candidate for military service. Done my training with the K.O.S.B. at Berwick on Tweed. I eventually got fit and played army football, had a successful time with army football,I was charged with running the unit team ,training picking, recruiting,and generally running the squad. Of course I tore my cartiledge again and had my knee cleaned out at the hospital in Colchester Military hospital.
I came to Canada and played some football here, took my coaching badges and coached youngsters here. That I believe was the most enjoyable time I had at football coaching the kids.
Think they became Clyde United, my dad played for them.
They won the West of Scotland Cup against Threave Rovers in the early 70’s.

Remember Auchinleck Talbot having a big support as a kid and when they came to play Rob Roy they brought about 3000 fans through
aye , i think stv started showing it around 79-80, the mighty Pollok beating arthurlie 1-0 was shown live im sure,although i was at a rain soaked Hampden watching us win it

Apart from Robert Fleck (Possil YM) who else made the move and step from amateur status to professional. Andy Gray perhaps before he started at Dundee Utd?

Paul Kinnaird moved from Possil YM to Norwich.

I played in the same team as him.

Narcissistic lady's front bottom he was too.

certainly was
Would like to see Pollok come up through the pyramid system - they have average attendances far superior to leagues below championship level. Also ambitious clubs like Talbot, Beith, Darvel, Kilbirnie, Kilwinning, Arthurlie, Clydebank, Yoker etc.

I believe the first ever televised Junior Cup Final was at Hampden in 1977 Kilbirnie Ladeside v Kirkintilloch Rob Roy.

Lakeside won 3-1. Glorious sunshine that day.

Hillwood Swifts are another amateur side I recall as having good teams back then. I think they were from Pollok or there about. Big McLeish played for them I think.
I played for Hillwood 70/80s Wullie Smith was the manager lived in peat road all met in his mammys hoose before we went to play a game ,I was playing a game at south pollok and a scout named Bobby Calder approached me after the game and asked me to sign for Aberdeen I was 18 years old,he said that Bobby Clark would look after me ,he said he was going to look at another goalie called James Leighton,I didnae sign ,I also played for various teams ,the Cavendish cosmos,from nitshill,priesthill,Eastwood amateurs, Bellarmine amateurs,I also played against rangers when I was 14 a goalkeeper from rangers named Gerhard neef approached me after this game and said that I would be a professional ,I said yi pumped us 9 nil ,he said it would have been more if it wasn't for my many saves ,

I played for Hillwood 70/80s Wullie Smith was the manager lived in peat road all met in his mammys hoose before we went to play a game ,I was playing a game at south pollok and a scout named Bobby Calder approached me after the game and asked me to sign for Aberdeen I was 18 years old,he said that Bobby Clark would look after me ,he said he was going to look at another goalie called James Leighton,I didnae sign ,I also played for various teams ,the Cavendish cosmos,from nitshill,priesthill,Eastwood amateurs, Bellarmine amateurs,I also played against rangers when I was 14 a goalkeeper from rangers named Gerhard neef approached me after this game and said that I would be a professional ,I said yi pumped us 9 nil ,he said it would have been more if it wasn't for my many saves ,
I knew Wullie Smith. He was an instructor at a training centre When I was an apprentice. Sounds a bit dodgy meeting at his mammies house. Was Andy Handlin a coach as well?

Rab - I didn't know him personally but I knew about him. I didn't know he had been a referee.
Jimmy reffed a lot in the first class juveniles and was a good ref , all though he favoured us glencairn juveniles on many an occasion .
Played with his son George who was a goalkeeper at Cumbernauld United

Back