Memories of Glasgow amateur football teams from the 70s and 80s

The demise of youth football wasn't helped by the demise of schools football , in the 60s and 70s every school had at least one team at each age level 13s,14s etc. and some schools had really good teams .I believe it was a teachers strike that killed off a lot of the schools football for the teachers would take the teams on the Saturdays doing it in their own time but during a pay dispute they stopped extra curricular activities which included football
This is a good point. I played for the school team, was selected for Glasgow Schools and then went to Hillwood. It was a natural progression. I vaguely remember the strike, but I don’t remember it stopping us playing football. Pretty sure it was still ‘Meat at Galloways’ every Saturday.

Glasgow Amateurs in the 1970's were affiliated to Birmingham City and played in their strip. Jimmy Calderwood and Ricky Sbragia went to City direct and Kenny Burns (a scary boy) joined after a stint at Rangers. Alex O'Hara also signed for Rangers and later Murdo McLeod joined Dumbarton.

They were ran by a man called Sam Beck who got a mention in Alex Ferguson's autobiography.
Sam Beck later set up a youth teams in Glasgow for aberdeen when Alex ferguson was manager. Ian Ferguson played for them

The demise of youth football wasn't helped by the demise of schools football , in the 60s and 70s every school had at least one team at each age level 13s,14s etc. and some schools had really good teams .I believe it was a teachers strike that killed off a lot of the schools football for the teachers would take the teams on the Saturdays doing it in their own time but during a pay dispute they stopped extra curricular activities which included football
100% correct.

Played myself for some good amateur teams back 70/80 one game comes to mind it was a Summer Tuesday night league and had play to a team in the circuit Rutherglen /Cambuslang well 2-0 half time the ref come over and said guy walk to your cars get in a drive away as quick as yous can as the young team at the time we’re ready To set about us so we made a quick getaway played the game again up cowlairs yip the beat us lol

I played for Thornliebank in the Scottish 2nd division, remember Giffnock North, Milngavie wanderers as 2 of the bigger clubs. Loved the trips to Arrochar, Rothesay Brandane, Campbeltown. The village’s always had the best pitches, except Greenock high school black ash pitch.

I played for Thornliebank in the Scottish 2nd division, remember Giffnock North, Milngavie wanderers as 2 of the bigger clubs. Loved the trips to Arrochar, Rothesay Brandane, Campbeltown. The village’s always had the best pitches, except Greenock high school black ash pitch.
What years did you play? if it was 70/80's, I had couple of friends who I also worked with were Thornliebank players. I played 13 seasons for Kings Park Rangers, and recall similar trips.

What years did you play? if it was 70/80's, I had couple of friends who I also worked with were Thornliebank players. I played 13 seasons for Kings Park Rangers, and recall similar trips.
I played from 1972-1975, and 1979-1981. I remember playing against KP rangers on the black ash park by the station.

Possil changing room in a hall in Denmark Street, round the corner from Closeburn?
We usually changed (and trained) in hawthorn street school which I think was across the road from closeburn. There was usually about 4 of us from balornock that walked it to training , past the morven and the boundary bar then past ashfield ground and perthshire park to the school.
Possil changing room in a hall in Denmark Street, round the corner from Closeburn?

Played for the rangers supporters club ( wee club) then had to change names to Edmiston drive. Played in hospital league in summer won it every year for over 10 year. Played in umpteen pub tourneys and Sunday leagues. And won quite a few, we did carry the odd dark sider but always good to see them in the rangers blue. Played a lot of semi finals and finals at the Albion Training ground, won the rangers supporters cup a couple of times. That was a great competition and sometimes crops up in old rangers news issues . Amateur fitba helped everyone find their level and enjoy a game of fitba. Some of the crowds at the games were incredible around the park . Never see those days again

We usually changed (and trained) in hawthorn street school which I think was across the road from closeburn. There was usually about 4 of us from balornock that walked it to training , past the morven and the boundary bar then past ashfield ground and perthshire park to the school.

Training was amazing. We would leave Denmark street and head up to Cowlairs through the streets.

It was great for sprint training, as the local kids would use us for target practice with bricks and bottles. :))

Used to watch AC Milanda and PO Phones at Nether Pollok during the spring , summer.

Also Strathclyde Police at their base in Lochinch in Pollok Park too.....dirty , dirty bastards!!!
Ahh the mention of Nether Pollok reminds me of South Pollok. Memories were flooding back on Thursday. South Pollok in the winter, hitting a cracking drive from well out, beat the keeper all ends up ..........then the ball sticks in the muddy puddle on the goal line. Played against Strathclyde Police cadets at South Pollok a couple of times, great to have a free kick at the constabulary and then have the 17 year old with the hair cut into the wood telling me I'd "better watch it son". I was probably about 8 years older than him at the time.

Ahh the mention of Nether Pollok reminds me of South Pollok. Memories were flooding back on Thursday. South Pollok in the winter, hitting a cracking drive from well out, beat the keeper all ends up ..........then the ball sticks in the muddy puddle on the goal line. Played against Strathclyde Police cadets at South Pollok a couple of times, great to have a free kick at the constabulary and then have the 17 year old with the hair cut into the wood telling me I'd "better watch it son". I was probably about 8 years older than him at the time.
South Pollok? Was that the pitches at Bellarmine? If not what were they called, played a lot of BB games up there.

I played for Glasgow Utd in the 70's and our team was run by Gordon McQueens brother and he brought Gordon along to a few of our training sessions when he was with Man Utd.
There were some great teams producing tons of talent at that time, Drumchapel Amateurs, Eastercraigs and I hate to say, Shame BC.

Used to play in the morning for the school, BB at lunchtime and boy's club in the afternoon, loved it.

Going to places from Glasgow like Greenock and Ferguslie Park was always a rammy, which spoiled it. Although, I did get involved in a barney with a guy who played for a team from Possil at their ground (a high school) both sent off. Met him a few years later in college and we had a laugh about it.

Played amateur on a Saturday morning for a season, but as much as I enjoyed the games there was a host of arseholes who were there solely to kick folk off the park.

dirtiest team I ever played against in the late 70's were a team from kirky called Hillhead a right shower of dirty bastards, it was in the Scottish amateur league, and they went on to become Strathkelvin and were actually a good side if they could have concentrated on just playin fitba

When I was growing up Glasgow had some fantastic youth football teams that usually did well in European tournaments. I'm talking Possil YM, Eastercraigs, Glasgow United, Harmony Row, Drumchapel Amateurs.
Played against most of these teams in the early 70’s, remember playing against Glasgow Utd at U-15 and they had a lad called Gordon Boyd who was sensational, he signed for the Gers and played a couple of first team games, but not sure what happened to him.

Watched Campbeltown Pupils v Denny in the Scottish about 20 odd years ago at Kintyre Park

Both sets of fans in the pavilion and kicked off. 2 home players came off the park in waded into the rammy, f*cking chaos at the time. Think the away fans got more than they bargained for as the 2 players were nut cases.

Great entertainment for £2!

Glasgow Amateurs in the 1970's were affiliated to Birmingham City and played in their strip. Jimmy Calderwood and Ricky Sbragia went to City direct and Kenny Burns (a scary boy) joined after a stint at Rangers. Alex O'Hara also signed for Rangers and later Murdo McLeod joined Dumbarton.

They were ran by a man called Sam Beck who got a mention in Alex Ferguson's autobiography.
Played against them for Clarkston Amateurs - Orange strips with a blue sash :)

Played against them for Clarkston Amateurs - Orange strips with a blue sash :)
A quality strip!

(I actually remember playing a game against Clarkston on a red ash pitch on a rainy day, somewhere in the south-side. The reason I remember it was because it was the only game - school, BB or amateur - I ever played in that finished 0-0. Must have been something to watch!)

Last edited:
I ran a team in the Helenvale Sunday Amateur League (Parkhead) some great games there and during the week there was a team called Calton Cosmos (made up of ex Junior players and wannabe super stars) who played all the Junior teams In friendlies and usually beat them

On a Sunday for the league the first game of the day was 10.30am and last game started at 9.00pm, usually stayed there all day and ate out the Kwelin Chinese with a couple of pints in the Bowlers, great times in the 80’s
Used to watch games at Helenvale wi my Granda and his pals and remember the Cosmos being great to watch shame they knocked HV down some right good times there.

80’s Wickets Hotel Partick in the Glasgow Sunday pub league team....which was quite competitive.

60’s and 70’s mostly BB football. Best team west of Byres road.

80’s Rosevale bar.

In the fifties I played with Clydesmill [from Cambuslang],we mostly played away in Glasgow, the team was started in the Clydesmill power station. I found it pretty good football, I was fifteen and just out of school, quite an adventure. The wee manager had the first name of Tommy. The time is lost in the mists I am afraid.

You were one of Elkie's boys then? What a character he was. Always liked playing at the Emmet. :cool:
He still is a character,he called the Emmet 'Little Wembley' and claimed it was the best playing surface in Scotland.

The guy is 88 and can tell you about any incident in any game in the part 70 odd years,I was talking to him a couple of weeks ago,he played with my Dad and he started reeling off each goal of a hat trick my Dad had scored in 1949,described each goal in vivid detail,he has total recall.

He had me down training with the Balloch when I was fourteen but we emigrated a year later and I didn't come back till I was 21.

Recognise a lot of these teams as opponents.

I played for the Vale Ams,Vale Utd,Renton Ams,Jamestown Ams and Argyll Athletic.

Yeh some really good reading and memory on this site know a lot of the teams probably played against some

Pub teams.
Used to be a tourney in Partick.
Rosevale. Smiddy. Dolphin and probably others. Memory fails.
The Rosevale v Smiddy was always a meaty affair.
Played on the pitch across from FF bingo.
The strangest tournament that I remember playing in was 5 or was it 7 a side tournament between Masonic lodges , one of the games was wee bit shall we say towsy or in other words the boots were flying and it was almost fisticuffs before the ref intervened shouting "brothers a bit of decorum please " and at that both teams burst out laughing and managed to finish the game in a friendly manner with handshakes all round , well there would be handshakes after all it was a Masonic tournament , and by the way the results are a secret ;)

In the fifties I played with Clydesmill [from Cambuslang],we mostly played away in Glasgow, the team was started in the Clydesmill power station. I found it pretty good football, I was fifteen and just out of school, quite an adventure. The wee manager had the first name of Tommy. The time is lost in the mists I am afraid.
Did they become Clyde Paper then Clyde United , my dad played for them early 60’s think they won the a league?

Did they become Clyde Paper then Clyde United , my dad played for them early 60’s think they won the a league?
I am unaware of that, I had to give up football, cartilage problems. Did not play again until I had to do my Nat.service. My two years playing while in the army were my most enjoyable. Had no further contact with Clydesmill.

Played against most of these teams in the early 70’s, remember playing against Glasgow Utd at U-15 and they had a lad called Gordon Boyd who was sensational, he signed for the Gers and played a couple of first team games, but not sure what happened to him.
Think he went to Fulham

The strangest tournament that I remember playing in was 5 or was it 7 a side tournament between Masonic lodges , one of the games was wee bit shall we say towsy or in other words the boots were flying and it was almost fisticuffs before the ref intervened shouting "brothers a bit of decorum please " and at that both teams burst out laughing and managed to finish the game in a friendly manner with handshakes all round , well there would be handshakes after all it was a Masonic tournament , and by the way the results are a secret ;)
The PGL of Glasgow's annual 5 a side tournament used to be played on the red ash [full size] pitches at Knightswood every summer over a couple of evenings, and yes many of the games were competitive to say the least. My own side always knocked on the door to win it, and eventually reached the final which was drawn, and went to penalties. Sad to say yours truly missed the decisive penalty resulting in us losing. They've never let me forget it over next 30 years, but neither did it stop me being twice elected as RWM. Beggars can't be choosers after all. :)

The PGL of Glasgow's annual 5 a side tournament used to be played on the red ash [full size] pitches at Knightswood every summer over a couple of evenings, and yes many of the games were competitive to say the least. My own side always knocked on the door to win it, and eventually reached the final which was drawn, and went to penalties. Sad to say yours truly missed the decisive penalty resulting in us losing. They've never let me forget it over next 30 years, but neither did it stop me being twice elected as RWM. Beggars can't be choosers after all. :)
That sounds like it , as you say red ash pitches at Knightswood , I vaguely remember it being in that neck of the woods but I couldn't remember where exactly

My old man started a team for kids in Kingston called Rosedale BC, they then merged with Glasgow United and he ran some of their teams for a few years. I can't ever recall him winning a single trophy ever, and he had the nickname "Casper" as they could never get a hold of him.

Highlight was playing Rangers S Forms at the Albion, meeting John Greig and having refreshments in the Blue Room afterward.

When you read some of these tales, and I think of the many similar incidents I can recall from when I played, you gotta wonder why Scotland doesn't have loads of European and World success stories to tell...
:) :)
You got to love the rose tinted nostalgia with quite a few of the stories,it was a joke at times playing football back then and it is hardly a surprise a lot of people can't be arsed with all that hassle.

I liked to go for the love of playing the game on a sunday morning not to get threatened by someone on the sidelines or playing a team just wanting to volley you over the park.
You grew up with all that bollocks in my day to day life in pollok,playing football was your escape from it but it just ended up being an extension of it.

I laugh about it now but it just put me off playing back then.

I played with Drumchapel Amateurs and Glasgow United in the late 60s.
With the Drum, we actually trained at Ibrox, under the main stand, for a season.
Gers manager Davie White wanted to turn us into Rangers main feeder club.
There was a 'but', however, we would wear Rangers strips, permanently train at Ibrox and plenty other connections, as long as we only signed proddies.
Drum owner Dougie Smith wouldn't have it, so we left after that one season.
And he was a BB captain too.

He still is a character,he called the Emmet 'Little Wembley' and claimed it was the best playing surface in Scotland.

The guy is 88 and can tell you about any incident in any game in the part 70 odd years,I was talking to him a couple of weeks ago,he played with my Dad and he started reeling off each goal of a hat trick my Dad had scored in 1949,described each goal in vivid detail,he has total recall.

He had me down training with the Balloch when I was fourteen but we emigrated a year later and I didn't come back till I was 21.
The “Emmet” had more up and downs on the pitch than the Carman Hill. :))

I remember this tournament well - alas, alas, alas . . .

Back