Memories of Mark Walters

Eased the pain of my childhood hero, Davie Cooper, leaving.

I'd only known Rangers with Coop and he was the excitement that got me hooked.

Walters provided something different with pace and tricks that I just hadn't ever seen before.

He was a great player for us and terrorised Scottish defences.

He "got it" from day one. Loved him and loved that shirt from his first season.

Totally unrelated but my boy (16) wandered in last week with that shirt on he picked up from some retro site. Never mentioned he was buying it and when I seen it I filled up like a fecking woman.

Absolutely loved him when I was growing up. I used to cut out an 11 from paper and tape it onto my top and double shuffle past my mates in the park. Great times!!

i must have been 11 or 12 in greaves sports gordon street downstairs with my pal looking at trainers and i felt someone clip my heels as though trying to trip me, then it happened again, Was about to tell the person to fuk off and it was Walters, that thought immediately changed.

Got his autograph, i think i tried to say something about his double shuffle but it came out in gibberish as i was awe struck.

Stood up to the worst racial abuse in British football history at Parkhead and rammed it all back down their throats by destroying them for years.

He was outstanding and to me really "got" what playing for Rangers was all about. A tremendous player for us. My Grandpa was 75 when Mark signed for us. He'd seen many a Rangers winger as you can imagine. He adored Rangers more than most and was not an easy man to please when watching us, believe me. He LOVED Mark Walters. That says it all for me anyway. I was gutted when he left us at the time. A top, top player.

Stood up to the worst racial abuse in British football history at Parkhead and rammed it all back down their throats by destroying them for years.
Spot on mate. He loved beating the yahoos. A wonderful player when in the mood. Can you imagine him in the team of today?

Back