Memories of Neil McCann

atcolin

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Watching back old footage I think it’s often forgotten just how good he was for us.

what’s everyone’s fav memories of Neil?

Game at the glitter dome obviously also dunfermline title clincher 2003 was unbelieveable that 2nd half

Apart from Parkhead May 1999.

He made a vital contribution to the 6-1 Dunfermline win that won title 50, and to the 3-2 Cup Final win over Celtic the previous year.

2 delirious celebrations.

So many.

Winning me over with a quote during his presentation as a Rangers player
Assist on his OF debut (great cross for Amato)
Single handedly destroying Scot Marshall's Celtic career at Parkhead
The pass to Vidmar for the first goal v Parma
Scoring from a corner v the Sheep
The cross for Lovenkrands in the SCF 2002
The 3 assists v Dunfermline in 2003
The assist for the winner in the SCF 2003 for Amo

Ripping apart an excellent PSV team when we thrashed them 4-1

One of our great European performances at Ibrox

So many.

Just end the thread now.:))

So many.

Please remind us Sir Dunc. :cool:

Edit: “Winning me over” will resonate with a lot of us I reckon, myself included. In a time of Dutch internationalists, I remember being less than excited at the prospect of a Scottish player on (if my memory serves me correctly, and given we’re still in Paw Broon’s era, it probably does) the periphery of the Scotland side. Feck sake, imagine using that as a marker in hindsight.

Loved the wee man.

Last edited:
absolutely fantastic player for us. Loved watching him as you always felt something great was about to happen. A total get off your seat player for the fans.

My first memory of him was the 1996 League Cup Final. He was outstanding that day for Hearts and I was shitting myself in the second half whenever he got on the ball.

So many great memories of Neil in a Rangers strip. He didn't need to kiss the badge every game either to win over any doubting fans. He did all we ask of every Rangers player, and that's to give every effort in every game, and Neil did that, and a lot more. He's almost on a par with my favourite Ranger, wee Alex MacDonald.

A great goal curled in from the left at the Copland Road end against Heartson a bitterly cold day in March (ish) 2003.

2-0 I think.

Almost from the corner flag is how I remember it

I've just watched the video and didn't see it.

Anyone else remember it?

Closest I can find is 2002, 2-0 Dodds scored both.

Maybe it's is cross I'm thinking of?

Last edited by a moderator:
He was a classy winger in a different way to Laudrup. The wee man's passing ability was superb and he found some great positions to score a few. Was delighted when he signed and did so well for us; was a dangerous player for any defence.

A great goal curled in from the left at the Copland Road end against Heartson a bitterly cold day in March (ish) 2003.

2-0 I think.

Almost from the corner flag is how I remember it

I've just watched the video and didn't see it.

Anyone else remember it?

Closest I can find is 2002, 2-0 Dodds scored both.

Maybe it's is cross I'm thinking of?
This is the game I was thinking of. Iirc we were finding it difficult to break down hearts and wee Neil decided to do a mazy down the wing beating a couple of players before crossing to Doods

Memories of McCann?? Looking back at the footage from that time, only that I didn’t fully appreciate how good a player he actually was - that man could cross a ball.

Double at the Piggery to win the title

Pretty much hauling us over the line to 50 with an outstanding second half performance against Dunfermline

Back