Memories of our strikers missing sitters?

Mearns Ranger

Official Ticketer
But of a different thread type, but just recently thinking about how prolific and deadly our Alfredo has become, I got to thinking about his earlier days and how he seemed a little erratic in front of goal.
I think after a few misses against them, hitting the post for 3-3 at Ibrox, the two headers at Parkhead, we had people on here calling for his head etc.
I was too young for “Ally, Ally get to %^*&” but remember a few games where Ally missed sitters. Probably the last would be CSKA in the last game of the 92/93 CL run. They weren’t quite sitters, but decent chances nonetheless.
I think wee Nacho had a bad run in his first season too but can’t remember any games in particular?
Anybody got any stand out memories of our strikers missing sitters and being castigated for it?

I absolutely adore Dado Pršo, but feck me he could be wasteful in front of goal at times.

Durie had spells where he was absolutely murder too, that miss against Parma, about 6 yards out, free header where Amato set him up perfectly.

Peter Van Vossen..............shudder

Looks like he’s never quite gotten over it

peter_van_vossen_mgl_ermarm2.jpg

Imagine how that miss would be talked about now if we hadn’t actually won the game.

De Boer vs Tims in the 5-1 game back in 2000.

Was in the first ten/fifteen mins I think. Open goal after Douglas and their centre half got in a mix up and he put it over the bar. Fell to his bad foot I suppose but a player of his quality should have buried it.

Davie Cooper at Tynecastle 87’.
Granted it was a header and Davie said a bee got in the way!!

I have no confidence that Dodoo would have scored if HF passed
Tbf dodoo seemed like a pretty good finisher if nothing else. His brace against thistle were two excellent goals. Ifs buts and maybes now, but made my mind up on HF then. The sort of guy that you played football with as a kid that tried to skin whole teams/go for glory himself every time he got the ball.

McCulloch v Werder Bremen. Was that bad he ended up not getting his shot away. I was convinced that was going to put us out.

Foster v Valencia and Naismith v Malmo have always stuck in my mind as well, probably because i despise the 2 players now. As mentioned, Prso could miss some easy chances. I remember Buffel missing a ton of chances in PLGs first league game at Motherwell.

Ive always thought Boyds v Villarreal and Morelos header v Celtc were treated harshly. Boyds wasnt the tap in people would tell you it was and Morelos did everything right with that header and it goes in 9 times out of 10 even after hitting the keeper. Even Van Vossens miss the ball takes a horrendous bobble as he goes to hit it and he connects halfway up his shin.

Non-Rangers related but Cummings managing to hit the bar when standing on the goalline still astounds me.

Bobby Williamson at Tynecastle in the Scottish Cup in 1986.
An open goal miss when we were a goal up. We then conceded twice, lost 3-2 and our season was over in January.

The only 2 good things were it wasn't televised, and winning nothing probably gave us Souness a few months later.

Durie v Aberdeen in 1994.

1-1 in injury time, Rounded the keeper, 10 yards out, only McLeish on the middle of the goal line to beat....and he hits it straight at him.

Vague memory of standing in the Broomloan in a league game - possibly against Dunfermline? circa 2004 - when Lovenkrands managed to put a header over whilst standing practically on the goal line. Think he was going through a rough patch at the time because I remember the reaction being of anger rather than frustration.

Boyd v Villareal in the 2005/06 Champions League when we went out on away goals?

Boyd v Villareal in the 2005/06 Champions League when we went out on away goals?

It was nowhere near a sitter. It was more than a half chance, but better strikers than Boyd have missed a chance like that.

A more recent one was Alfie in December 2017 v Hibs. He somehow managed to put a header wide / over the bar from a yard or two out. He was hopeless with his head in his first season, clearly an area he has worked very hard on.

He also missed a couple of sitters with his head at Parkhead when we drew 0-0 a couple of games after it.

Last edited:
By far the most prominent for me is Van Vossen, then Alfie at Ibrox from about 3 yards, both absolute howlers.

Boyd v Valencia wasn’t a howler but still a good chance, especially given it would have seen us through to the last 8 of the champions league, something that’s seems totally unattainable for a Scottish club these days.

Back