Memories of Referee Bob Valentine

ThorntonMM

Seeing the post earlier regarding Kevin Clancy and the various corrupt Referee decisions that affected Rangers title challenge this season. John Beaton, Bobby Madden and others clearly ensured We would be up against a 12th man each time we were officiated by them.

However they pale to insignificance when you look over the record of Bob Valentine.
Handed Celtic a Scottish cup in 77 with a shocking penalty award and of course was Celtic's star man in the 1989 Scottish Cup final by allowing a goal from a clear Rangers throw in and chopping off a valid Terry Butcher equaliser right at the death.

This is another example of the 'impartiality' of Bob.
He turns a blind eye to a shocking lunge on Ian Durrant from an Aberdeen player which should have resulted in a card being shown.
Rather than allow treatment he instead stops the game gives the Rangers physio a lecture then awards Aberdeen an indirect free kick inside the Rangers box.
An absolute scrote of a man.

Bonnar getting barged by Mick McCarthy as Butcher's header flies into the net in the 89 Cup Final, results in the goal being disallowed, and Celtic given a free-kick was an absolutely shocking decision, and all this after letting Roy Aitken take a throw-in which he himself had just awarded to Rangers!

That was his last game for Celtic, sorry, as a ref, so he couldn't be penalised or sanctioned, and he knew it.

Have to be honest Valentine is the one ref that always comes to mind as possibly being a cheat in my near 50 years of watching Rangers.

The two OF cup finals already mentioned are the 2 glaring occasions. Big DJ has sworn on his son's life that he did not handled the ball that saw Scum awarded penalty to score the only goal in 77 final.

To this day I still cannot believe our "equaliser" in the 89 final was ruled out. YouTube footage of the incident clearly shows there was no impeding by Cooper on Bonnar. Was always surprised the club, esp. Souness, made little or no fuss over this at the end of game.

Last edited:
Have to be honest Valentine is the one ref that always comes to my mind as possibly being a cheat in my near 50 years of watching Rangers.

The two OF cup finals already mentioned are the 2 glaring occasions. Big DJ has sworn on his son's life that he did bit handled the ball that saw Scum awarded penalty to score the only goal in 77 final.

To this day I still cannot believe our "equaliser" in the 89 final was ruled out. YouTube footage of the incident clearly shows there was no impeding by Cooper on Bonnar. Was always surprised the club, esp. Souness, made little or no fuss over this at the end of game.
The players just accepted it as well. Had it been the other way around the scum would have surrounded him and ensured the game would be finished in controversial circumstances as they had previously done.

For some reason I remember this as a child but he was a guest on TV-AM a couple of days before the '89 final (his last game IIRC), in the studio being interviewed by Anne Diamond.
Another trophy stolen from us, Butcher's disallowed goal was scandalous - not to mention the build up to their winner.

R C Valentine, gave them a penalty in injury time in a league cup final against us. Waited till their next attack got into the penalty box, bingo!
Of course I could give him the benefit the doubt, maybe his sun dial was malfunctioning.

The 2 Scottish Cups he cost us stick in the mind.
There were quite a few dodgy refs at that time, I knew a few folk that knew Waddell through work and all said he was an arrogant B@statd. Allan Ferguson (Mr Beaujangles) was another one.
McGinlay and the Hope brothers were the best of a bad lot.
But the best ref in Scotland at that time has to be Willie Miller.

We came out the final in 89 to a man saying "knew he'd do us", given we all knew it was his last game, not that that would've stopped him right enough.

Seeing the post earlier regarding Kevin Clancy and the various corrupt Referee decisions that affected Rangers title challenge this season. John Beaton, Bobby Madden and others clearly ensured We would be up against a 12th man each time we were officiated by them.

However they pale to insignificance when you look over the record of Bob Valentine.
Handed Celtic a Scottish cup in 77 with a shocking penalty award and of course was Celtic's star man in the 1989 Scottish Cup final by allowing a goal from a clear Rangers throw in and chopping off a valid Terry Butcher equaliser right at the death.

This is another example of the 'impartiality' of Bob.
He turns a blind eye to a shocking lunge on Ian Durrant from an Aberdeen player which should have resulted in a card being shown.
Rather than allow treatment he instead stops the game gives the Rangers physio a lecture then awards Aberdeen an indirect free kick inside the Rangers box.
An absolute scrote of a man.

I’ve raised threads before, he and Huw Phillips are top of the hate list of RFC, the reason I say that, Liewell/Scum hadn’t the same power over the Puppets in Black of today. The Sheep and Arabs had a lot to thank Valentine for he came from Dundee a Religious/Scum area that suited his Bias. Don’t know if he’s still alive, if he is, his attitude would be what a magnificent bunch of Puppets in Black, he was just a cheetin slimey Barrister.

Souness knew revenge was only a matter of weeks away

If I recall correctly was Johnston's transfer to Scum not announced on the eve of Cup final, therefore our coup of signing him was not even on the cards.

ps Just checking, it seems Celtic announced the signing of Johnston on 12 May 89, the Cup final was played 8 days later. Apologies that after 31 years my memory was a little out. But still unlikely that Rangers had approached Johnston about signing before the Cup final.

Last edited:
Another often forgotten about incident from that final in 89, Peter Grant landed a right hook on Mark Walters as the 2 of them were chasing the ball, it was a clear red card and Valentine saw it alright, Ian St John commentating made a racist remark about Grant giving Walters a Black eye.

If I recall correctly was Johnston's transfer to Scum not announced on the eve of Cup final, therefore our coup of signing him was not even on the cards.

ps Just checking, it seems Celtic announced the signing of Johnston on 12 May 89, the Cup final was played 8 days later. Apologies that after 31 years my memory was a little out. But still unlikely that Rangers had approached Johnston about signing before the Cup final.

My mate is pals with Andy Gray. Apparently, in the dressing room after the match Souness y to old the players that something big was going to happen this summer and they will be sick. It’ll make up for today. Gray wondered what could possibly take the disappointment away and was convinced that the Mojo deal was done prior to the cup final once the story broke in July.

1989 and we are going for the treble. My ticket No. was 1690. What could possibly go wrong?????

Cheating Cheating Cheating scummy bastard!

Was it Louis Thow who deemed the animal Simpson’s career altering assault on Ian Durrant as only worthy of a yellow card?

Back in 79 or 80 when the League Cup was a 2 legged affair , I'm sure it was valentine that gave the sheep a last minute penalty when the offence was a good yard outside the box . Them scoring it , out us out on aggregate .

Back