Memories of Referee Bob Valentine

I can remember when you didn’t even know the referees name unless you bought a programme.

Look at it now, all four officials are known to all and Celtic and the media have got them too scared to go against them.

Scummy.mentally challenged cheating chunt.Along with andrew waddell and george smith the unholy scum trinity.
valentine known as Boob Vatican in my household.

Bob Valentine was an incompetent, cheating arsehole who could bare contain his disdain for Rangers. He cost us time and again but his incompetence undoubtedly led to him giving the odd decision in our favour. Andrew Waddell on the other hand was a Rangers hating cheat who took great pleasure in being seen quite blatantly to be favouring anyone other than us. Without doubt the biggest cheating bassa of that era trumping another hater in George Smith. Other incompetents include Louis Thow, Ray Morrison, Davie Syme amongst others

one week before the 77 cup final we played at pittodrie.
our captain john greig was sent off and therefore missed the cup final due to the rules at the time.
the referee at pittodrie was valentine. that's right the same referee who would officiate at the cup final just one week later.

Fully agree with the comments on the thread about Valentine including that Waddell was even worse. But let’s stick to the facts. John Greig played the full 90 minutes in the cup final. If my memory serves me right, he had a decent effort which hit the side netting.

If I recall correctly was Johnston's transfer to Scum not announced on the eve of Cup final, therefore our coup of signing him was not even on the cards.

ps Just checking, it seems Celtic announced the signing of Johnston on 12 May 89, the Cup final was played 8 days later. Apologies that after 31 years my memory was a little out. But still unlikely that Rangers had approached Johnston about signing before the Cup final.
There's a story about that after the game when that mob were celebrating Souness came into the silent Rangers dressing room and told them not to worry as something was coming that would knock Celtic well out of their stride. It's assumed he was talking about Johnston, who did say to Butcher at the the England game a week later he'd see him in Italy.

Valentine, Brines, Clarke, Thomson, Clancy, Robertson...cheats every one. When you are reared from the age of 5 to hate all things Rangers, how can you be expected to officiate them fairly, it’s not possible even if they genuinely tried. I would ban anyone who attended a sectarian school from officiating a football match involving Rangers or Celtic. Logical and simples.

Valentine and Waddell were the 2 I detested more than any other. You were guaranteed an honest mistake and the crowd going Tonto when they were in charge

one week before the 77 cup final we played at pittodrie.
our captain john greig was sent off and therefore missed the cup final due to the rules at the time.
the referee at pittodrie was valentine. that's right the same referee who would officiate at the cup final just one week later.

Wow.

I remember Albertz missing the Hearts final in 98 after being sent off at Tannadice in the last game of the league season. Can't remember who the ref was that day.

It was obvious Valentine hated us.

His decisions, his demeanour & his face all screamed "I'm gonna do these Orange barstewards again today".
Waddell was an absolute arrogant egotistical cnut who took great delight in showing how much "in charge" he was.

Others with "honourable" mentions would be George Smith (RC from Edinburgh).
Allan Ferguson another who would shag himself if he could. "It's all about me !"
Louis B. Thow was just totally out of his depth & looked lost in every game.
Bill Mullan (RC from Dalkeith) not on the same level as Valentine , but was close.

If I recall correctly was Johnston's transfer to Scum not announced on the eve of Cup final, therefore our coup of signing him was not even on the cards.

ps Just checking, it seems Celtic announced the signing of Johnston on 12 May 89, the Cup final was played 8 days later. Apologies that after 31 years my memory was a little out. But still unlikely that Rangers had approached Johnston about signing before the Cup final.

I'm pretty sure i've read before that on the 13th May 89 Rangers played Aberdeen at Ibrox exactly a week before the cup final & it was at this game Johnston's agent Bill McMurdo confirmed to Souness that no deal with the mentally challengeds had been done after Souness made a comment to him about we would have been interested in signing him & the deal was done with Rangers pretty quickly, on that basis it is entirely possible that Souness knew we were signing Johnston come the cup final a week later.

I'm also sure that McCoist has also stated that at the Scotland v England game a week after the cup final Johnston had confided in him that he was Ibrox bound & to keep it to himself which McCoist did.

Last edited:
Wow.

I remember Albertz missing the Hearts final in 98 after being sent off at Tannadice in the last game of the league season. Can't remember who the ref was that day.

Hugh Dallas sent Albertz off at Tannadice meaning he missed the 98 cup final.
Footage of the game is on YouTube, a shocking decision & not having Albertz for that final was crucial as he was flying at the time.

Woeful referee but nowhere near as bad as Andrew Waddell.
Remember him also enraging the yahoos in the spring of 1984 for having the audacity to award two stonewall penalties to the Gers in League Cup Final (despite the fact that he also awarded Sellik a last minute spot kick in the same match) and then sending big Shirley off in the Scottish Cup Final a couple of months later.

It was obvious Valentine hated us.

His decisions, his demeanour & his face all screamed "I'm gonna do these Orange barstewards again today".
Waddell was an absolute arrogant egotistical cnut who took great delight in showing how much "in charge" he was.

Others with "honourable" mentions would be George Smith (RC from Edinburgh).
Allan Ferguson another who would shag himself if he could. "It's all about me !"
Louis B. Thow was just totally out of his depth & looked lost in every game.
Bill Mullan (RC from Dalkeith) not on the same level as Valentine , but was close.

Bill Mullen. Another *** crook.

In the 1975 SC Final, the day before Ian McMillan was called by Stein, who told him ‘you’ll need to change your strip, too much white’. Ian told him to GTF.

5 minutes later Ian’s phone goes again this time Mullan. ‘You’ll need to change your strip, too much white’.

Anyway, lovely gentle guy Ian, but he told him to feck off too, and Airdrie wore white, but it shows the morals & methods of Stein, and Mullan’s Willingness to fight the cause.

A cheat, pure and simple. I still can't watch the penalty incident from 1977 nor their goal (from a throw that should have been ours) and the disallowed goal from the 1989 game. And there were many others, such as that disallowed goal at the piggery in 1987. He was the worst but he's getting some serious competition from the present bunch.

Andrew Waddell was another from back then. Didn't he go on record as saying he hated Rangers?

Woeful referee but nowhere near as bad as Andrew Waddell.
Remember him also enraging the yahoos in the spring of 1984 for having the audacity to award two stonewall penalties to the Gers in League Cup Final (despite the fact that he also awarded Sellik a last minute spot kick in the same match) and then sending big Shirley off in the Scottish Cup Final a couple of months later.

Watched the 84 CF a few days ago on Sportscene classics, tbf, I was in 1984 and still am mystified at Aitken's red card. Even by today, it was a yellow. Never a red.

Back