Memories of Rino Gattuso post Rangers

SuperGers07

One of the few former players of ours who left and truly bettered himself as a player.

What are your best Gattuso memories? From winning World and European cups to clashing with Joe Jordan and many more.

But for me his time management has intrigued me the most. A very mixed bag to say the least with some signs there that he’s a decent coach.

What say you?

0_GettyImages-112802085.jpg

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprodmigration%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F55d06f7a-5f13-3ccc-9c2c-d9fb3329a7e8.jpg

UEFA-Champions-League-2nd-Round-1st-Leg-Inter-Milan-v-Tottenham-Hotspur-San-Siro-150211.jpg

I mind he went on Tam Cowan's shitey football show when he was still with Milan. Tam asked if he'd ever come back to Rangers, to which he replied "only if the Gaffer [Smith] comes back".

Couple years later - Smith came back! Where the fck were you Rino?!

Edit - am sure on that same episode he had Lee Wilkie on talking about getting scouted by Monaco. Wild.

Remember them playing a Champions League game, might've actually been the final against Juve that went into extra time and he was still running about like a man possessed well into the dying minutes of the game. Some engine.

I remember Gattuso well, he was a true warrior that fought for the cause ( Glasgow Rangers of course) and also if I am correct it was well known that he loved us with that famous Italian Passion that oozed out of his sturdy physical stature of a body (Too Much) Settle down Ladies!

Rino picked the wrong man to scrap with,Joe Jordan is a double hard bastard
I know he isn't a Rangers man but he doesn't come across as a typical rabid.I thought he was a smashing player,mobile,strong in the air and a decent scoring record.He could cause the best defence problems and as you say a proper hard man.

I liked Gattuso as a player. Thought he was excellent in 2006.

He developed nicely into a poor-man's Bob Malcolm:cool:.

I'm afraid he would not have fared well against Joe.

Seems to be a bit of a mixed bag as a manager but I hope he succeeds. He's showing signs of doing OK without ever being top of the tree.

I always liked him, i remember he played right back a few times and did well.
I wish we had managed to keep him longer as he was made for the Scottish game.
Was great to see him do well in his career and always spoke well about us.

Knock fk out of Lippi during the 06 World Cup when Italy scored

Lippi had a look of fear on his face every time Italy scored and seen the mad wee basturd run at him

Rino picked the wrong man to scrap with,Joe Jordan is a double hard bastard
When joe Jordan looks back on that incident all that he should remember is that he allowed a young man to hold him by the neck , push him and basically humiliate him. Joe Jordan did nothing about that other than shout at him a bit. Hard bastard as a player maybe.

This was one of his finest moments post Rangers. Love the translator having to uncomfortably repeat what he's ranting about.

Sometimes maybe good! sometimes maybe shit!

When joe Jordan looks back on that incident all that he should remember is that he allowed a young man to hold him by the neck , push him and basically humiliate him. Joe Jordan did nothing about that other than shout at him a bit. Hard bastard as a player maybe.
He was an old man. Gattuso made a kunt of himself and went down in my estimations after that. Jordan acted properly.

He was an old man. Gattuso made a kunt of himself and went down in my estimations after that. Jordan acted properly.
He was in his 50s , he was hardly an old man , he also let a man grab him by the neck but did nothing about it after squaring up to him. Agreed Gattuso made a total fool of himself.

He was in his 50s , he was hardly an old man , he also let a man grab him by the neck but did nothing about it after squaring up to him. Agreed Gattuso made a total fool of himself.
59 is an old man against a professional athlete in their prime.

His trophy haul outweighed his footballing talents, shows what you can achieve with real determination and willing to work your socks off on a consistent bases

There's a hilarious story I heard somewhere years ago that when Joe Jordan was Liam Brady's number 2 at Peadophile FC the cup semi-final game we won at Ibrox in 1993 where Hateley scored and Ibrox was split 50-50 the Old Firm had to send a representative each to Hampden for the coin-toss to see which team got home advantage for the game.

Rangers sent Archie Knox.
The bheasts sent Joe Jordan.

Joe Jordan calls heads and it lands on hands and he screams "Yass - we'll take the game at Parkhead"

Whoever was doing the coin-toss stopped him and said that was only the coin-toss to decide who get's to call first - what do you pick?

Jordan fumes "tails"

It lands on heads.

Archie Know - We'll take Ibrox please.

Back to Gattuso - I liked him but I also thought he was raw too. I'll be honest even though I liked him I thought 3.5-million was great money and thought it was an excellent deal for us at the time and still do considering the player we had - players sometimes just get better later on as they develop more and we never had a crystal ball.
This is true, remember it well, it was broadcast live on the radio, except it wasn’t Archie we sent, it was Sir Walter:))

His trophy haul outweighed his footballing talents, shows what you can achieve with real determination and willing to work your socks off on a consistent bases

"Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard."

He's one of my favourites, just wish he'd came back even for one season.

"Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard."

He's one of my favourites, just wish he'd came back even for one season.
Think once he made it at Milan he was never gonna play in a league like ours again, I still can’t remember why DA wanted him out, he also drove Albertz out too, that really saddened me at the time

Last edited:
Pre season friendly against AC Milan. Ferguson having to grab the wee man in the first 5 minutes and explain what a friendly was as he had blootered three of our players already by that point.

Back