Memories of Ronald DeBoer

One of the best players ive seen play for us.

Had one knee too, scored some absolute belters. 2002-03 probably my favourite season and team

My favourite goal of hes was against the tims at parkhead. Always remember a tim jumping up and down like a dafty just before De Boer put it in. Always wanted to see hes reaction

Always remember a story about when he first came to Glasgow after signing for The Famous.
Supposedly he went in to the Corinthians for dinner with friends and couldn’t decide what to eat so just ordered everything on the menu to sample it all.
Cool story n all that and don’t know if true. But made me laugh anyway!!

A real quality player. Genuinely couldn’t believe it when we signed him. He was brilliant during the 02/03 treble winning season.

I mind seeing him stopped at the lights at Saracen cross. He was in a BMW and I was on my motorbike. I gave him a nod and big thumbs up. He gave me big smile back

Has to be that header. What a player.

Rolls-Royce of a player. Genuinely thought our days of signing players of that ilk, ahead of clubs like Man Utd, were finished.

Front post volley mid-air cushioned volley into roof of net is my personal favourite. (Ball from McCann is sensational btw) movement is world class, he starts almost at halfway if I remember correctly

His movement was a joy to watch, a gem of a player amongst the absolute class of the Dutch contingent (Arthur “Bowie” Numan so underrated, Gio was unbelievable with a wand of a left peg- set pieces suffered after he went & of course Mikey Mols....that turn!)

Considering according to Barry Ferguson’s bio that Ronald could barely straighten his leg for days after a match, with his knee injuries catching up.

To think he was hounded for not chasing pointless balls into corners constantly amazed me at time. World Class. Loved him

His goal against them at Ibrox, the side foot volley from McCann's corss was a favourite of mine.

Probably lesser remembered but a goal v Killie I think at Ibrox, few turns drop the shoulder then passed it in to the far bottom corner. *edit 1:35 in video above. Marshall's reaction of '%^*& this' is a joy to behold.

Unbelievable player for us in 02-03

Remember getting texts about rangers transfer news from my network provider one 2 one and refusing to open the texts because it would charge a fortune.

Going home from work on the bus on great western road and I see billboards outside newsagents with the headline

"Rangers sign DeBoer"

Was gobsmacked

Superb player. Remember not being able to believe we'd signed someone of his quality from Barcelona at the time. To be able to make a signing like that now!

I remember the header against them... I stood next to the steps with my uncle and brother and fell down them celebrating that goal, the f*****g two off them never even stopped celebrating to see if I was ok... ankles were in tatters but was dulled by the alcohol I had consumed.!!

Was an education watching his movement off the ball at games. Youth of today can only watch games back and see what he done when he got the ball. One of the very best I have seen creating space for himself the way he drifted in behind players then coming onside at the last minute.

Apart from that there is always the obvious, the goals the assists, the touch...everything.
World class imo.

A fantastic football player
I'm glad I got to see him play
And some of those goals were absolute class

A stunning player. I don't actually think we appreciated him enough when he was here. Probably because he came not that long after Gascoigne and Laudrup and, dare I say it, we were use to world class players being in the team ! :oops:

His goal against them at Ibrox, the side foot volley from McCann's corss was a favourite of mine.

Probably lesser remembered but a goal v Killie I think at Ibrox, few turns drop the shoulder then passed it in to the far bottom corner. *edit 1:35 in video above. Marshall's reaction of '%^*& this' is a joy to behold.

Unbelievable player for us in 02-03
This Killie Goal and the header at the piggery are the standouts for me. Although possibly eclipsed by the goal at Ibrox with the "sick as a parrot" celebration. One of my favourite ever celebrations. Pretty sure he would get a three-match ban for that these days though.

He was a class act, had a first touch to die for and generally just cool as F. Loved the guy at both Ajax and Barcelona and couldn't believe we were signing him - a genuine World Class Footballer. We were lucky to have such an amazing football mind play for us. Sheer class.

His volley against them at Ibrox in the 3-2 game and his weird fingers down the throat celebration after it :D

Remember a goal he turned a few players inside out in the box and just passed it into the corner. A childhood hero of mine.

Back