Memories of Ronald DeBoer

Awesome player. Brain and skill meant he did not need pace. Would love to see a player like that again at Ibrox.

Good player but think folk going wee bit overboard about how good he was with us.

When I hear his name I always think of the 02/03 season when he got 20 goals and 20 assists.

Really? Better than Laudrup?
Not better than Laudrup as Laudrup was pretty flawless for almost 4 seasons but the 2002/03 is up there with as good an individual performance from a Rangers player I’ve seen.

Laudrup 96/97
Gascoigne 95/95
Hateley 93/94
Ferguson 02/03
de Boer 02/03

All outstanding.

He was always telling other players where they should be making runs and then delivering. Way ahead of most other players. Class

2002/03 he was as good as anything I’ve seen in a Rangers shirt.
I would agree. His contribution that season was at least on a par with Gascoigne and Laudrup individual season contributions. He was on another level that year and also elevated Ferguson to one of his best.

People also forget, we got him past his peak but was still a genuine class act. I always got the feeling he didn't work at the profession as much as he could have. He had the arrogance that he knew and believed how good he was and that was enough for him. As natural a footballer at the top level I have seen.

He was a pleasure to watch, as others have said

Unbelievable movement and vision/ability that was obviously above the rest of Scottish football

the treble season he was a massive part of the reason Ferguson found another level to his play

Technically De Boer is up there with any player we have had

the treble season he was a massive part of the reason Ferguson found another level to his play

Technically De Boer is up there with any player we have had

Always found it really interesting that he named Ferguson as the best he played with whilst at Rangers. Personally I believe that Ferguson's drive and style was something that really clicked with De Boer. Imagine them both from that season (02/03) in the team today, what a thought.

De Boer was superb. Vision was excellent. He’s the exact type of player we could be doing with just now to break down these teams who park the bus.

02/03 season he was sensational. scored around 20 iirc.

Goals v the tims are the standouts. Side foot volley at Ibrox and his header to silence them at the Piggery

they were brilliant together sure Ferguson got 15-20 goals that season as well

Diving header to put us a goal up at Tynecastle week before title clincher against Dunfermline. Win kept it in our hands just about.

Really Tense afternoon. I think my whole street heard me when ball hit the net!

This is a very under rated match in my opinion. The pressure on us was huge that day as I'm sure the filth won the day before. And that was a decent Hearts side at the time. Huge result for us on the way to #50 and Ronald de Boer played a huge part in it.

Some sublime moments from RdB but what sticks in my memory was a game where he didn’t chase a long ball down the right and it went out for a throw, some Bears in the EE let him know they felt he should have tried to run for it - the look he gave them was priceless, like “I’m Ronald de Boer, I don’t run for balls like that”.

An arrogant champion of a man.

Was miles ahead of anyone in Scotland - which counted against him at times - and he didn’t half know it.

Back