Memories of Shota Arveladze

My abiding memory of him is that he used to get called Mr Bean and score lots of goals for us. Also him dancing after Helicopter Sunday. Loved him back in the day.

Worked in Georgia and had a driver who told me he went to school with him and his brother (he saw my Gers top) when I said yes so everyone here tells me he proceeded to call him in Amsterdam and let me speak with him, not long after Helicopter Sunday so could only thank him while in shock as must have been a 8am call for him.
Met him at security in Istanbul only a few years back and greeted him in Georgian much to his amusement so had a couple of words telling him he is still a hero.

He was on an advert at Arrivals in Tbilisi for a few years also. One of the best country's in the world that place,

Worked in Georgia and had a driver who told me he went to school with him and his brother (he saw my Gers top) when I said yes so everyone here tells me he proceeded to call him in Amsterdam and let me speak with him, not long after Helicopter Sunday so could only thank him while in shock as must have been a 8am call for him.
Met him at security in Istanbul only a few years back and greeted him in Georgian much to his amusement so had a couple of words telling him he is still a hero.

He was on an advert at Arrivals in Tbilisi for a few years also. One of the best country's in the world that place,
Had 2 trips to Georgia cancelled due to all this (May last year then the rescheduled one for this year) - will get there eventually!

He scored some great goals, could finish well with both feet.

Scored in the 6-1 title decider again Dunfermline, Copenhagen away was a big goal as got us through to CL group stages. Also scored the winner in the 2-1 game against them in the League Cup Quarter Final in Nov 2004. Was another big goal as was our first win against them in 7 games at the time and gave us the momentum for a double that season.

I think he would maybe have been better remembered in a different era. We'd often play him in a wide area due to the options we had. Think every other club he was at, played him as an out and out centre forward.

Eck’s penchant for playing strikers wide* really hampered him. That said, his contribution was still excellent. Letting him go on a Bosman after allegedly spending £10m** to get him summed up our transfer strategy at the time.

* Prso, Shota, Lovenkrands, Buffel, even Thompson!

** I think it was during EBT proceedings it was revealed we had paid this much. Did always seem odd we claimed to have signed Ajax’ main striker for £1.6m!

His goal in Copenhagen was the reason we had a massive queue at 3am for the champions league when we were drawn against man utd as i don't think a lot of season ticket holders expected us to qualify because of the 1-1 draw with them at Ibrox so didn't take up the 3 match package option .

Copenhagen away. I was there and can still see it flying into the net. Was utter bedlam.

Also he scored a screamer in the league cup against airdrie on his debut

Killie away December 2004.

Was playing football in the morning and the misses wanted to use the car to do present swap with her family. She dropped me off and I ended up walking the 10 miles or so home.

The Killie match itself was bang average, Shota scored the only goal with a volley from the D.

Never properly utilised by Alex McLeish.
A superb striker, who should've been even better than he was.
Agree. Had high expectations from his Ajax days but always felt a bit short changed for us despite the good work ethic etc. Thinking back it was maybe the influence of Ajax highlights reels vs seeing him for full 90 mins for us so probably I was too harsh.

Goal against them at Ibrox in extra time. My season ticket in the main stand at that time was bang in line with the 18yd box at the Broomloan End

He scored a lot of important goals for us. Seemed to get a lot of winners and goals in games we would win by the odd goal

Scored a hat trick against Livi - we were 4 up and ended up hanging on to win 4-3

Copenhagen away goal for me always stands out. Also remember being frustrated seeing him bang in goals being played through the middle after leaving.

The winner in extra time against Celtic in the 2004 League Cup game at Ibrox.

He scored a number of really important goals, but I’d agree we probably didn’t get the very best out of him. He spent far too much time playing wide in the bizarre 4-2-4 Mcleish went through phases of playing.

Always tried to sign the three brothers in Champo back in the day. Archil’s stats were just as good and you’d have both Arveladze’s ripping up the SPL. Can’t remember the other brother’s name but occasionally you’d have three Arveladzes played at Ibrox. Meanwhile, in real life, I thought he was a good player who kinda gets lost in our history somewhat.

Came on for Caniggia in the first half of The Loverkrands Final after Claudio had been assaulted.

An excellent player for us.
Played out of position by the manager for most of his Rangers career.
I think he made his debut in a midweek game against Airdrie, I was in the Broomloan that night and what a view I had of his outside of the left foot finish.
As shown in the highlights reel further up the page.

Killie away December 2004.

Was playing football in the morning and the misses wanted to use the car to do present swap with her family. She dropped me off and I ended up walking the 10 miles or so home.

The Killie match itself was bang average, Shota scored the only goal with a volley from the D.

You walked home that day I was at that game and it was fucking freezing.

No way could I have walked home after it haha

I went back to pub in Irvine and was sitting thawing out for about 2 hours

Over his career he had a better scoring ratio than Larsson, love pointing that out to the Tims.
He scored some great goals for us, some sublime finishes

I think he was a better player than I thought at the time looking back. Definitely his goal in Copenhagen and goal against the scum in extra time. Some dancer aswell!

Someone who was very much under-appreciated when he was with us.

An extremely talented footballer who was perhaps overshadowed by the names of others around him and the fact his nationality wasn’t as glamorous as some of the other names we had.

He was relatively prolific before signing for Rangers. Never felt that we used him properly. Clearly a really talented player. Just a shame we were never able to get the best from him on a more consistent basis.

Vaguely remember him scoring on his debut , may even have been two
Incredible appearances to goals ratio wherever he played .

Debut goal v Airdrie for me too. Most players would have curled it with the inside of their right foot but Shota decides the outside of his left foot would be better. Sensational.

Back