Memories of the Glasgow Cup?

Cooperfan

Thoughts and memories of it??

Should the Glasgow cup be brought back for the first teams? Would it be worthwhile?

Don't see where it would fit into the fixture list to be honest.

It's had it's day, before the WW2 it, along with the Glasgow Charity cup were both coveted trophies.

Doubt many have given it much of a thought after McCoist's hattrick in 86 although I do remember heading through to a final during the 90's one year as a local lad was playing for Rangers, and we won.

The Glasgow Cup seem to lose it's appeal when the competition was not completed in a season and was carried on to the next.

With the football season now covering around 10 months of the year, There's no room to fit the Glasgow cup into a hectic schedule

one glorious summer night in 1976, we went to the piggery and destroyed the mentally challengeds on their own midden,,something we didn't do all that often then,,3-1 that night but they got off lightly

The 75 Final one of best Old firm games I have seen

Poured with rain that day. My old man got main stand tickets which hardly ever happened. Wise decision as avoided a soaking.

Think my favourite though was the Friday night when Souness took over. Ally's other cup final hat trick against them.

I was at the 1970 Final at Hampden when they beat us 3-1
Think there was over 58,000 there that night.
However while we fielded our strongest team Celtic had only 4 or 5 first team regulars starting, resulting in the bheast supporters chanting ‘celtic reserves’ during the match, when we were well beaten.
I also remember the bheast fans going on the rampage at the end of the match as they made their way into the city centre.
Overall however I think we’ve won the Glasgow Cup many more times than them!

Willie Waddell just had another two months to wait to win his first trophy as our Manager.

Last edited:
I was at the 1970 Final at Hampden when they beat us 3-1
Think there was over 58,000 there that night.
However while we fielded our strongest team Celtic had only 4 or 5 first team regulars starting, resulting in the bheast supporters chanting ‘celtic reserves’ during the match, when we were well beaten.
I also remember the bheast fans going on the rampage at the end of the match as they made their way into the city centre.
Overall however I think we’ve won the Glasgow Cup many more times than them!

Willie Waddell just had another two months to wait to win his first trophy as our Manager.
I remember that. Was that the game where they sarcastically cheered our goal by John Greig?

I remember that. Was that the game where they sarcastically cheered our goal by John Greig?

I can’t remember the sarcastic cheering, but it was definitely Greig who scored our only goal in 27mins to make it 1-2
When I stated above that we had a full strength team, we did apart from 19 year old Bobby Watson in goal, who was at fault for a couple of their goals.

I can’t remember the sarcastic cheering, but it was definitely Greig who scored our only goal in 27mins to make it 1-2
When I stated above that we had a full strength team, we did apart from 19 year old Bobby Watson in goal, who was at fault for a couple of their goals.
A horrible game.

Was it 86 that Ally scored 3 or 4?

Personally I'd get rid, if we blood weans we get slaughtered if we don't win.
Play 1st team and you're killing the players.

No win.

1958 final at Hampden rangers v Clyde Monday 3pm kick off 29th bank holiday I take it. goaless, Clyde won replay 1-0

Thoughts and memories of it??

Should the Glasgow cup be brought back for the first teams? Would it be worthwhile?
Only one memory and I was there, Davie Cooper's keepyup goal although Sandy Jardine's was a belter too.
So 2 memories then before any smarterse comes on and hopefully it was The Glasgow Cup Final as memory is fading badly

Was important in its time.
Remember us winning it vClyde in 71 played in among 6 league cup games. The 1970 defeat was an embarrasment.
Better days- 75 was a cracking match in pouring rain at Hampden (2-2). We gave a goal away in the opening minutes when Jardine passed the ball past Kennedy. Fought back twice. Cup was shared.
76 at Parkhead (3-1) meant we had a clean sweep of all trophies. I remember this as the last time Rangers fans were in the jungle (and got removed before kick off) . Coisty's hatrick in 86 was also a big lift for us as they had just stole the league from Hearts and we had Souness. Already you could sense the changing of the guard!

My first ever memory of going to Ibrox was of my dad taking me to the Glasgow Cup Final of 1956 against Clyde, which we won 2-0. I have a lot of affection for the tournament as it holds loads of memories for me down through the years, but I don't think we have the fixture space for it at first team level these days.

Only one memory and I was there, Davie Cooper's keepyup goal although Sandy Jardine's was a belter too.
So 2 memories then before any smarterse comes on and hopefully it was The Glasgow Cup Final as memory is fading badly
my memory is that this was the drybrough cup not the Glasgow cup mate,, ,smart arse loyal

The 1975 final was the first Glasgow Cup game I was at. I remember it was a great game and Colin Stein played a blinder. It was also effectively the super cup, as we had won the league and they had won the cup.
The 1986 one was good. They'd just won the league and we had been rubbish that season. Sourness was there, although Walter may have been in charge for the game. You knew it was the start of something .
I was also at a final at the Piggery where we won thanks to a Lex Baillie og. That was an excuse for a Sash up as we'd won the league just before it. Can't remember the year.

The 1975 final was the first Glasgow Cup game I was at. I remember it was a great game and Colin Stein played a blinder. It was also effectively the super cup, as we had won the league and they had won the cup.
The 1986 one was good. They'd just won the league and we had been rubbish that season. Sourness was there, although Walter may have been in charge for the game. You knew it was the start of something .
I was also at a final at the Piggery where we won thanks to a Lex Baillie og. That was an excuse for a Sash up as we'd won the league just before it. Can't remember the year.
that was the Monday night after we had won the league at pittodrie ..87 that would be

one glorious summer night in 1976, we went to the piggery and destroyed the mentally challengeds on their own midden,,something we didn't do all that often then,,3-1 that night but they got off lightly

I was at that match. First time I saw us winning at the piggery.

1gq87q.jpg

Back