Memories of the Lovenkrands Cup Final

Went to a warehouse party in the early hours of the following morning, watching my mate re-enact the winning header on the dancefloor right in front of our broken tim pal.

Was down at that corner Lovenpants ran to ... bedlam ... easily one of my best Rangers memories.

Great to see Fernando in that video looking so healthy and happy. At least his life has been blessed with experiences the rest of us will only ever dream about.

My other vivid memory of that game was Caniggia running riot in the first 20 minutes, and then Sutton did him with a vicious body check, which a decent ref would have punished with a red card.

Claudia'a Cup Final was over, and so was his 2002 World Cup campaign due to start the following month.

So it was real karma when it was Sutton who lost Lovenkrands when he ghosted in for the winner . . . what a day!

I was 9 and my old man used to lift me up after every goal. Unfortunately, he’d ruptured his Achilles and was still on one crutch at this game so couldn’t lift me easily. When the winner went in I was begging for him to lift me up and he couldn’t. The guy behind me (mid 20’s probably) whipped me off the ground and onto his shoulders whilst still going absolutely mental. Was the best celebration I’d ever been involved in and fair play to the guy for giving me that experience when he had no idea who I was and vice versa.

Watched the trophy presentation from the concourse at the back and an old guy had fell and smashed his head open after the winner. Paramedics were there and determined to get him on a stretcher and out but his words were ‘I’m not leaving the stadium until I see the Rangers lift that fucking trophy’. Paramedic had to hold him up to watch it before he’d leave.

Great day!

Superb stuff mate. Read that with a smile on my face

At that time Cutlass Jnr was 4yo and absolutely WWE daft and desperate to see The Undertaker and The Rock in action at the SSEC but we couldn't get tickets.
I then went onto ebay to try and score some for the London gig and ended up paying way way over the odds for them but said what the hell, let's go for it, take him and his wee pal down to London to watch the wrestling but there was something about the date that rang a bell with me...4/5/2002 that I couldn't quite register.
It was only after we'd bought the tickets, our hotel and flights that I realised it was the same day as the Scottish Cup Final!
That's the only semi or final I'd missed since about '66!
:eek:

Mum and Dad had split up so we were at my dads new house watching it and was a brilliant day. Had the rangers flags and tops hanging out the window, his new neighbours came in after to join the party. Remember nearly crying when Balde scores because I didn’t think we would come back twice, especially when Ferguson hit the post before the free kick.

The one and only time I was glad to be in Row A at Hampden. We were in the section where Lovenkrands ran to after he scored. As the ball came over my mate took a big breath and promptly fainted, it must have been a good minute before the celebrations subsided enough for a steward to tap me on the shoulder and say “your mate has collapsed”. It sounds harsh now, but I don’t think he was expecting me to say ‘fûck him’ and carry on with the celebrations.

I was about 14 years old. Still my favourite ever game.

Me and my old man got surrounded by vermin on Victoria Road after the match. Think the fact I was a bit younger saved us from getting involved in a scrap.

My other vivid memory of that game was Caniggia running riot in the first 20 minutes, and then Sutton did him with a vicious body check, which a decent ref would have punished with a red card.

Claudia'a Cup Final was over, and so was his 2002 World Cup campaign due to start the following month.

So it was real karma when it was Sutton who lost Lovenkrands when he ghosted in for the winner . . . what a day!
I've watched the game back a few times and that mentally challenged team were a shower of dirty bastards. How they kept 11 man on the park was a miracle. Hartson, Lennon and Sutton in particular were a disgrace.

I was down near the front and right in line with Barry’s free kick. As soon as it left his foot I was going mad because I knew it was going in. When the winner went in, the place just went mental. Some big lad beside me lifted me about 3 foot in the air, I thought he was gonna drop me

Just watching the vid again, some of the tackles that weren’t even bookings would have the offended bus shouting murder now

Craig Moore caught Hartson a belter.

One of my favourite ever games, only got an offer of a ticket the morning of the game, didn’t have to be asked twice!! The raw emotion when that winning goal went in will last with me forever.

Watched it in the sports bar on Broad Street, Birmingham with my girlfriend (later that night my fiancé). Jumping about going crazy with another couple of bears in front of what seemed to be dozens of Tim’s.
Was that the same night England beat Germany 5-1? Not sure if my memory is warped from alcohol!

I was 11, wearing full kit ( I could get away with it then:p ) he scored I ran down the stairs into the street shouting and screaming like a mad man. Done a lap up the street then back to celebrate watching us life the trophy

Barry Ferguson put on an absolute masterclass that day.

2 very good teams but we were very worthy winners.

I was almost at the centre line right next to the rotten mob & I remember Maurice Ross dropping to his knees at the final whistle it was brilliant watching their screwed up faces pointing at him & us
They were out on their feet in the second half & Barry was emmense
I've seen many a cup final but that's up there with the best of them

The first goal there was a guy who rolled about 3 rows down and ended up lying across our seats, found his watch a few minutes later and gave it back to him

We were about 5 rows from front behind the goal so had great view of the winner, it went in slow motion then absolute bedlam, one of my favourite ever games

Watched it in the sports bar on Broad Street, Birmingham with my girlfriend (later that night my fiancé). Jumping about going crazy with another couple of bears in front of what seemed to be dozens of Tim’s.
Was that the same night England beat Germany 5-1? Not sure if my memory is warped from alcohol!
Arsenal beat Chelsea in the FA cup final that day so England wouldn't have been playing.

Only reason I remember that is on the bus home one of the guys who was a Chelsea fan said he was that happy with our game he didn't give a shit about the FA cup result.

I had a ticket for the main stand and was totally blootered. How I got in I'll never know, but for some reason when the winner went in I thought there was about 10 minutes left. The final whistle really surprised me.
One thing I do remember though - looking at that Celtic team, was there ever a bigger bunch of thugs put together outside a Mafia convention? a team of absolute animals.

First job was working in ASDA Toryglen. I worked in an outside garden centre in the carpark. Knew it was 2-2. Heard a massive roar, I had no idea who had scored. Seconds later I knew as I could see them in their droves pouring out of Hampden. Pure magic!

Bedlam at the winner. I remember just beginning to settle down and looking up at their end and it was empty apart from those left going up the stairs.

My favourite ever Rangers game. Was 3 days after my Dad had died after a relatively lengthy illness and was also my birthday. Some mates came round to take me out to watch the game and I really didn't want to go as it didn't feel right to go out and enjoy myself but my Mum more or less kicked me out the house and forced me to go and have a good time. Being honest I think I watched most of the game in a bit of a daze and only really remember the winning goal. Amid all the bedlam that ensued I took myself away to a quiet corner and had a few tears and word with my old man and as sad as that sounds it felt like a really special moment, and still does. I'm not a particularly sentimental type but it'll always stick with me.

I was at the corner where Lovenkrands ran to celebrate, albeit up near the back of the section. I had a an aisle seat and ended up half way down the stairs when he scored the winner. It may be forever known as the Lovenkrands final but Barry Ferguson played the game of his life that day, sublime.

I always reference this game when Hartson goes on (yet) another rant about Celtic not getting any decisions from officials.

How he was not sent off that day is beyond me.

I was right behind the middle of the goal in row C and when the header went goalward I couldn't figure out if it was going in due to the bounce. Then in a milisecond I started to notice that from the half way line everyone was starting to leap up. Then absolute bedlam.
Also remember after one of the first 2 goals wee Barry running to the halfway line where it meets the shy line right in front of the north stand then dropping to one knee with his body towards the Gers fans and giving a punching motion while looking at them.

celtic were playin for extra time, we thoroughly deserved the win. If the ref done his job properly balde should've been sent off when celebrating, it was great to see ferguson do the same.

Amo had an absolute mare and should be thanking lovenkrands/rest of the team.

Working away from home in Aberdeen with a bunch of tims. Watching the game in our wee b&b when the famous took the lead I jumped up and punched the air.... forgetting the place had a low ceiling so put my fist through it and brought half it down on top of us!

Still played Hockey back then so watched it in the bar at Dumfries Ice Rink with many tims, what a day...

I was only 13 but always remember the aftermath being surprisingly low-key.

A last minute cup final winner against Celtic in a classic match, after being behind twice. It will go down as one of our greatest ever results.

My only OF cup final.

I still think Balde should have not only been red carded but up in court for his "tackle" on Caniggia who was having a great game.

Last game I went to with my old man. Flew in from Toronto the day before. Rescued a member of Oakville RSC from Glasgow’s finest at HT from being arrested for D&D saying he was just jet lagged (as a newt) and was almost crushed to death by Tom Plunkett seated next to me when the winner went in. Absolute bedlam and as others have said the greatest disappearing act ever seen

My youngest had been attending an odd match with me for a few years prior to this. He was 11 at the time. Night before the match I was offered an extra ticket and considered taking him but decided against it as I was going on the booze with my mates and wasn't just wholly convinced that he was really 'into the fitbaw' as yet. Anyway next morning the Mrs told me that he had watched it on telly and had burst into tears of joy after Lovenkrands goal. Cue for me to spend the following week beating myself to death for not taking him!!

Ever since we have been sitting together at every match and travelling all over Europe watching the Gers. Cannie beat it:))

One of Barry Ferguson’s best ever games for us.

We battered them second half and should have wrapped it up long before we did.

That said, wouldn’t swap the feeling at that winner for anything !

Watched it in my friends house on Kings Park Avenue with about 10 other guys.

When the goal went in we all went utterly mental obviously but by time the jumping up and down celebrations had ended there were Celtic fans walking past his house looking in and giving us the fingers etc.

Those boys made a rapid escape! :))

Brother in laws mate who ran the bus got me a ticket that morning so wasn’t expecting to be going.Turned out ticket was right beside players wives etc.Cracking seats,cracking day.Always sticks in my head at that cup final fans with giant inflatable hands,union jacks ,red hands,in the boozer doing high5’s with these big hands jumping about mental.

Didn’t get a ticket , Watched it in Renfrew bowling club with my 2 mates, 3 of us ended up rolling about the indoor carpet green covered in booze as our table went flying when the winner went in in the telly room much to the disgust of the prezzie :)

Back