Memories of the old Grandstand teleprinter?

Going by the way it was pronounced as the scores came in, I used to think there was a team called Brightonand Hovalbion. Took me years to figure it out.

1980 at the Piggery, I was down in Essex at my mother-in-law's place on holiday. I knew we were drawing 1-1 through a Jim Bett equaliser (and there's a story about that) but I hadn't heard any further news. The final result starts to come up on the teleprinter and I see they've only scored 1. My first thought is, "Good, they've not beat us. Two seconds later I'm jumping about daft in my mother-in-law's living when the figure 2 comes up after Rangers. A day and moment that will always stay with me.

The goals being worded if a team scored 7 or more (Manchester United 9 (Nine) Ipswich 0) is one I remember. Len Martin reading out the classified results. Nowadays it sounds like someone pulled off the street

In September 1978 it printed out across the telly screen and then was confirmed in the classified results that Rangers had beaten Aberdeen 1-0 at Ibrox. ...Only we hadn't because Steve Archibald scored deep, deep into injury time to draw the game. Anybody of my age remember that?
Yes. Game was played in between the 2 games v Juventus.

Loved Sam Leitch's match reports on games he'd viewed that afternoon. Sam always referred to Arsenal as 'The Arsenal' the title the club was known by many years before. Peter Lorenzo was another reporter who was a regular on the programme in those days.

Remember the vidiprinter well but it’s European nights of that era that I remember most .
Sitting with an old radio to the ear trying to get an update on some obscure Gers away game in Europe through all the crackles that radio brought at that time.
Used to have a radiogram (google it, kids!) back in the late 70s/early 80s when I was a nipper. Remember listening in to our European games on it. Stations from all over Europe on shortwave. How different things are these days!

I remember, in the days, leaving Ibrox at the end of a game, pick up the clutha, train from Partick Hill to Dalmuir, home just in time to see the end of George Davidson on BBC with the match highlights.

I remember the Evening Times pink edition that came out on a Saturday evening and would often only give you the score at 85 mins.

And all the text was in the present tense. As you read it, it was as if the game was happening now.

Imagine your source of finding out football scores is buying a newspaper?

:)

Used to come on at 4:40pm on a Saturday, with results of completed games appearing from that moment onwards.

Not only was that the first source of your team's result (if it wasn't on the radio) but games actually finished by 4:40pm in these days with just a 10-minute half-time interval, and often no injury time added.

With some games not finishing until nearly 5 o'clock nowadays, this must seem strange to a lot of younger Bears.
And if a big score the number got printed in letters too.

5 past 5 in the pub, cold and dark outside. Enough for one more pint. Saturday night in front of the tv awaits.

Blackpool 0 ………..Luton 1 (95)

The teams might not be as they were as my memory is going but what a feeling getting a late coupon up before phones. Don’t think I could collect straight away and had to tap the old man till the Monday on the back of my win.

I remember the anticipation of the division bit, that it might be us - SCP *brief pause* "ah ffs it's just the Sheep score"
and always feeling we were the last of the SCP scores to appear.

Getting the football scores off Teletext.
Decent sports journalists like Bob Crampsie and and Alex Cameron on the radio coverage.
Stopping outside the electrical stores to try and see the scores.
The vidiprinter with its clicking dot matrix noise and high scores written in text in brackets.
The Pools panel calling matches that were postponed in winter.
Des Lyman on Grandstand with an afternoon of rugby league and horse racing.
Jumpers for goalposts.

The old teleprinter on Grandstand was a nervous wait especially for a child supporter in the 60's. Living in Northern Ireland at the time it was the first chance of getting the result. I well remember the Berwick Rangers 1 v 0 Rangers of 1967. I was 9 years old at the time. As a poster above has rightly recounted it was pure childhood trauma. Indeed it was always childhood trauma for a week afterwards in my home via the teleprinter if Rangers lost any game.

My Dad wasn't a football supporter and my older brother did'nt support any team other than Spurs. So they would have a laugh at me and keep.me going if Rangers lost. I don't mind admitting that I used to cry when Rangers lost as a young boy.

Just on another issue. Does anyone from Northern Ireland remember the Saturday evening sports newspaper called, 'The Ireland Saturday Night' or better known as 'The Ulster'? It was printed at about 5.30 PM and hit the streets immediately after it. It was pure sports with all the results and match reports. The big Scottish game would feature largely. Main credible journalist (where have they gone?) was a Scotsman who moved to Northern Ireland, Malcolm Broadie.

In September 1978 it printed out across the telly screen and then was confirmed in the classified results that Rangers had beaten Aberdeen 1-0 at Ibrox. ...Only we hadn't because Steve Archibald scored deep, deep into injury time to draw the game. Anybody of my age remember that?

Yes. Game was played in between the 2 games v Juventus.
As a 12 year old I was so excited that season. Treble Winners, doing fantastically in Europe by beating Juventus then PSV. It was our year, wasn't it? Sadly, no. Our League form was patchy. A pitiful start, and lukewarm for the rest of the season. Cologne were too good for us in the European Cup quarters, and two domestic cups had to suffice which seemed pretty meagre. Eight years of pain waited in the shadows...

The other thing I remember was when the guy read out the Classified Results and after he gave the home team goal number you could tell by the change in the tone of his voice if it was a home or an away win or a draw before the said the away team goal number.

I know you younger guys will be saying "whit tae fu*k" is he talking about :))

Last edited:
Check the start of this video. It's from 'Grandstand' on the 4th May 1963, the first Rangers v Celtic Scottish Cup Final since 1928 and this is how anyone not at the game would have first got the score! The game wasn't on TV live and I don't think it was even on the radio, so can you imagine sitting at home waiting for the result to come through (despite what David Coleman says there was no extra time in that match)?! :

Edit - the game was on the radio but only the second half. The replay wasn't though.

Last edited:
Used to come on at 4:40pm on a Saturday, with results of completed games appearing from that moment onwards.

Not only was that the first source of your team's result (if it wasn't on the radio) but games actually finished by 4:40pm in these days with just a 10-minute half-time interval, and often no injury time added.

With some games not finishing until nearly 5 o'clock nowadays, this must seem strange to a lot of younger Bears.
Can remember my dad watching it and shouting for fu*k sake a lot. Then the guy reading the results and my sister and myself trying to guess the results from the pitch of his voice.Also remember being told to fu*k up quite a lot as my dads coupons went down the toilet one by one.
Happy days.:D I think.

Used to watch it with my grandad when i was a young lad, great fun. Apart from the time we lost 5-1 to the sheep at Pittodrie and it came up in the vidiprinter B-D.

Frequently the teleprinter used to pause significantly after the first team’s score, leaving you in agonies of suspense Rangers 1……

I still suspect someone at the BBC used to manually jam the equipment just to annoy me.
........Aberdeen 3 B-D

As a 12 year old I was so excited that season. Treble Winners, doing fantastically in Europe by beating Juventus then PSV. It was our year, wasn't it? Sadly, no. Our League form was patchy. A pitiful start, and lukewarm for the rest of the season. Cologne were too good for us in the European Cup quarters, and two domestic cups had to suffice which seemed pretty meagre. Eight years of pain waited in the shadows...
As you say the start to the season cost us. 4 points from the first 6 games before a victory on the final day of September. Remember big Bomber scoring in the last minute at Motherwell to win 2-1 followed by 2 victories in the first week of May over Celtic & Aberdeen in 3 days set us up nicely.
Walking away from Parkhead on 21st of May is still the worst i've felt to this day.
9 games in the final month which included 3 Scottish Cup Finals, 2 Old Firm games, Aberdeen and away games at Fir Park & Easter Road did for us.
Should have been back to back trebles

I seem to remember listening to scores coming through on tv when I was 5 and just starting to listen out for Rangers scores. That was 1960 but it might have been the complete scores once they were known. Teleprinter later on I recall well but couldnt say when it started.

Loved a Saturday afternoon as a youngster watching the final scores coming in.

We had a paper over here to called Ireland’s Saturday night with all the scores and reports from Saturday afternoon games.

The excitement also of checking teletext scores. Think the Scottish page was number 310

Remember in the 60s when our bus turned back from Ibrox thinking that the game against Dundee was off.
We only found out the game went ahead when the score appeared on the teleprinter.
Rangers 1 Dundee 5
I was at the game. The fog was horrendous. A lot of fans, including myself, didn’t even see some of the goals. Should never have been played.

Used to have a radiogram (google it, kids!) back in the late 70s/early 80s when I was a nipper. Remember listening in to our European games on it. Stations from all over Europe on shortwave. How different things are these days!
Brilliant had forgot about that trying to pick up a rangers game in a Foreign Language which wasn’t covered here waiting for the mad commentator shouting goal and wondering who had scored listening for the crowd reaction to hear if it was us or them ah the memories thanks for that

More recently, we moved over here in July 1988. The home game vs Celtic was coming up in August and I had no way of keeping up with it. I remember convincing the wife that a world band Sony SW hand held transistor would be a great acquisition for us. And without much further ado we forked out what I seem to recall was close to a $100 for one. Considering we had just arrived in the country with four suitcases and $600, I’m not sure how I managed to pull that one off.

Anyway the purchase was duly vindicated with our famous 5-1 win. Walking from room to room ( not really sure what that achieved) , turning the tranny in all directions to try and maintain a signal on the World service who had commentary on it. Jumping about like an idiot as the goals went in. I believe they call them the good old days.

Edit.

I’d have loved the teleprinter in the early days here. Aside from the big Scottish games, ie Rangers / Celtic that might have got coverage on the World Service, I leaned on The Dallas Morning News of all things for the results. For some bizarre reason they listed the top English and Scottish league results but no other countries in the Sunday edition. Used to get it delivered, it was always about 3-4” thick with all the sections, dive to the sports section and flip to the back page to see if my Sunday was going to be a good one or a downer.

As prices dropped over the years we started calling more frequently and I’d get them that way but in 1988, it was $1.68 a minute to call the U.K. Hard to imagine that these days.

Last edited:
I was at the game. The fog was horrendous. A lot of fans, including myself, didn’t even see some of the goals. Should never have been played.
True story about that game.

Because of the fog, a journo phoned up Scot Symon to check whether the game was on or not.

His reply? "No comment."

I remember the Evening Times pink edition that came out on a Saturday evening and would often only give you the score at 85 mins.
Us Belfast Bears had the “Ireland’s Saturday Night” which was also printed on pink paper.
Happy memories of waiting on my old fella coming in from the pub armed with a copy of ISN & his pool coupons.

Remember the classified results getting read out with a few L (late results) against the scores if they hadn’t been confirmed.

Living in England, for years, and before Teletext came along that was the first knowledge I got of how my Rangers had done each week. That or managing to tune the radio to a very poor intermittent signal of BBC Radio Scotland. Ah, who needs the internet?

When did that stop? I left England in '93 and thought it was still on at that time but maybe not.
Teletext when you would have to wait for the scores pages to go round to get the next update.

The old teleprinter on Grandstand was a nervous wait especially for a child supporter in the 60's. Living in Northern Ireland at the time it was the first chance of getting the result. I well remember the Berwick Rangers 1 v 0 Rangers of 1967. I was 9 years old at the time. As a poster above has rightly recounted it was pure childhood trauma. Indeed it was always childhood trauma for a week afterwards in my home via the teleprinter if Rangers lost any game.

My Dad wasn't a football supporter and my older brother did'nt support any team other than Spurs. So they would have a laugh at me and keep.me going if Rangers lost. I don't mind admitting that I used to cry when Rangers lost as a young boy.

Just on another issue. Does anyone from Northern Ireland remember the Saturday evening sports newspaper called, 'The Ireland Saturday Night' or better known as 'The Ulster'? It was printed at about 5.30 PM and hit the streets immediately after it. It was pure sports with all the results and match reports. The big Scottish game would feature largely. Main credible journalist (where have they gone?) was a Scotsman who moved to Northern Ireland, Malcolm Broadie.

Yes BM, the much lamented 'Ulster' in the early sixties the reporter who covered the Rangers games referred to us as the Light Blue Brigade in his match reports which i rather liked. We also got the Northern Whig as our morning paper and switched to the News Letter in 1963 when the Whig closed down. I was at Malcolm Brodies funeral some years ago, Malcolm was a big Bluenose as well as a Linfield supporter. Think he came to Belfast as a child when his father came here to work and he went to Park Parade school where i later attended. I remember on the night of the Ibrox disaster going down to Stewartie Johnston's newsagents at the Albert Bridge to wait on the red van arriving with the Ulster.

Us Belfast Bears had the “Ireland’s Saturday Night” which was also printed on pink paper.
Happy memories of waiting on my old fella coming in from the pub armed with a copy of ISN & his pool coupons.

My grandfather who was a 36th Ulster Division veteran in WW1 always referred to 'Irelands Saturday Night' as the pink, this was in the early 60's when the paper hadn't been printed on pink paper since the start of WW1 due to the dye having to come from Germany.

Back