Memories of the old Grandstand teleprinter?

Bearsden Bear

Used to come on at 4:40pm on a Saturday, with results of completed games appearing from that moment onwards.

Not only was that the first source of your team's result (if it wasn't on the radio) but games actually finished by 4:40pm in these days with just a 10-minute half-time interval, and often no injury time added.

With some games not finishing until nearly 5 o'clock nowadays, this must seem strange to a lot of younger Bears.

Used to come on at 4:40pm on a Saturday, with results of completed games appearing from that moment onwards.

Not only was that the first source of your team's result (if it wasn't on the radio) but games actually finished by 4:40pm in these days with just a 10-minute half-time interval, and often no injury time added.

With some games not finishing until nearly 5 o'clock nowadays, this must seem strange to a lot of younger

A big Scotsman called Sam Leitch presenting the lunchtime slot, which would be Football Focus in the here and now.

With some games not finishing until nearly 5 o'clock nowadays, this must seem strange to a lot of younger Bears.
It also had the goals as they came in.
It showed the input desk one week, was literally an in box tray that the results would be put in and the typist would just work their way down through the pile.
Quite a few times they would have the result typed up and then a few results later they would have the goal details.

In September 1978 it printed out across the telly screen and then was confirmed in the classified results that Rangers had beaten Aberdeen 1-0 at Ibrox. ...Only we hadn't because Steve Archibald scored deep, deep into injury time to draw the game. Anybody of my age remember that?

I seem to remember they got a new teleprinter but it didn't make a tickety tick noise when it typed like the old one did, people complained and they had to add a typing noise sound effect after a coupla weeks

Anyone ever use it to confirm your Saturday football bet thinking that you have won and then the dreaded score correction would appear to inform you they had given out the wrong score thus denying you a win.

Memories, Bearsden, memoriies!

January 75 our house was packed with our next door neighbors and some of their relatives who were from Glasgow.my dad switched on the tv for the results and up it came Rangers 3 Celtic 0 and our sitting room exploded and a delighted nine year old me found out we had a sitting room full of bears.

We also had The Green Citizen, which was the 'big' paper.

Both were on sale before a game and had photographs of the players inside.
Loved the Citizen. Producer of this beauty that made it to my bedroom wall.

Remember sitting anxiously watching the teleprinter and the tension rising watching Rangers coming up. Good old days.

Last edited:
Remember the vidiprinter well but it’s European nights of that era that I remember most .
Sitting with an old radio to the ear trying to get an update on some obscure Gers away game in Europe through all the crackles that radio brought at that time.

Earliest memory of the teleprinter was asking my old man if when the guy reading the teleprinter said team X scored 1 that meant scored 1 goal or they 'won' the game. I must have been a mere sprog. My old man said he didn't know. His fathering never got much better after that tbh.

There is a clip somewhere from 1971 and it's the teleprinter showing Rangers' late equaliser in the SC Final. DJ scored to make it 1-1 with a minute to go. Think David Coleman is in the studio.

Living in England, for years, and before Teletext came along that was the first knowledge I got of how my Rangers had done each week. That or managing to tune the radio to a very poor intermittent signal of BBC Radio Scotland. Ah, who needs the internet?

When did that stop? I left England in '93 and thought it was still on at that time but maybe not.

Back