Memories of the old Grandstand teleprinter?

Loved a Saturday afternoon as a youngster watching the final scores coming in.

We had a paper over here to called Ireland’s Saturday night with all the scores and reports from Saturday afternoon games.

The excitement also of checking teletext scores. Think the Scottish page was number 310

Yes BB, they published loads of results back then, BB old boys, schools football the lot, jumpers for goalposts indeed.

Remember in the 60s when our bus turned back from Ibrox thinking that the game against Dundee was off.
We only found out the game went ahead when the score appeared on the teleprinter.
Rangers 1 Dundee 5
I remember that game and we were calling for the game to be abandoned at half time.

The other thing I remember was when the guy read out the Classified Results and after he gave the home team goal number you could tell by the change in the tone of his voice if it was a home or an away win or a draw before the said the away team goal number.

I know you younger guys will be saying "whit tae fu*k" is he talking about :))

birmingham CITY 2 ipswich town 1

Southend United NIL Leyton ORIENT THREEEE
andMotherwell1Heartofmidlothian..................1

Used to come on at 4:40pm on a Saturday, with results of completed games appearing from that moment onwards.

Not only was that the first source of your team's result (if it wasn't on the radio) but games actually finished by 4:40pm in these days with just a 10-minute half-time interval, and often no injury time added.

With some games not finishing until nearly 5 o'clock nowadays, this must seem strange to a lot of younger Bears.
It didn't just give the end result. If there was a goal in the final moments then that came through as well.

In September 1978 it printed out across the telly screen and then was confirmed in the classified results that Rangers had beaten Aberdeen 1-0 at Ibrox. ...Only we hadn't because Steve Archibald scored deep, deep into injury time to draw the game. Anybody of my age remember that?
That's a co-incidence you've mentioned that game because my first thought when I saw this post was of a game at Ibrox in the seventies against Aberdeen when I was watching waiting for our score on the teleprinter and it came up as FT 1-1 but a few minutes later when the classified scores came on it said 2-1. We had scored a last minute winner. I'll have to check now when it was. Folk nowadays won't understand but it was exciting back then seeing the teleprinter bobbing up and down waiting for information to type out and then it would start one letter at a time.

I remember the Evening Times pink edition that came out on a Saturday evening and would often only give you the score at 85 mins.
The papers used to try to get the edition out as soon as the scores were in, which meant some of the games weren't finished, so they used to put the latest scores on the front page and you then had to look at a sideways margin on the back page for all the late goals and/or any final scores!! Mental. Anyone under 50 will just not get it.

Sometimes the teleprinter would just hang and you would get....

Rangers 1 Aberde...

For a couple of minutes

And you'd sit on tenterhooks till it started again

And then it would finish ...en 0

And you'd be so fcuking relieved

The papers used to try to get the edition out as soon as the scores were in, which meant some of the games weren't finished, so they used to put the latest scores on the front page and you then had to look at a sideways margin on the back page for all the late goals and/or any final scores!! Mental. Anyone under 50 will just not get it.

I remember the Evening Times pink edition that came out on a Saturday evening and would often only give you the score at 85 mins.

I used to be able to purchase that Saturday night edition from a news vendor in central Belfast on the Sunday morning back in the day.

Remember the classified results getting read out with a few L (late results) against the scores if they hadn’t been confirmed.

Teletext when you would have to wait for the scores pages to go round to get the next update.
That's right. I'd forgotten about the scrolling pages. Amazing how "hi-tec" that seemed at the time though. :))

Back