Memories of the Tennents Sixes?

Frank Burnside

Taking a trip down memory lane by watching old Tennents Sixes on youtube - currently watching our reserves featuring Gus MacPherson!! getting pumped by St Mirren in 1990. Don't think we were really interested at this point judging by the squad, think this was the last year we sent a team. Pity STV couldn't put all these on the STV player & save me watching dodgy VHS quality clips.

I went to the 1993 event which was the last one, apparently Thistle still proudly display the trophy to this day.

It boggles the mind this was a thing and we went relatively full strength in it.

Of its day I suppose but something that would never happen now.

Over riding memory being McCoist scoring a Panenka penalty.

Pestering my parents to abort another sunday at MFI to hot foot it home to watch Hibs Dundee Utd live on stv o_O

Cracking trainers and strips.

Can’t believe it was a thing though, especially considering Gazza got injured in a Dutch equivalent at the end of 96.

Could you imagine these days if a star player got injured in a glorified fives tourney.

It boggles the mind this was a thing and we went relatively full strength in it.

I don’t remember it but have heard of it.

I didn’t realise it was current players that went, I assumed it was a Masters type tournament.

it was a brilliant tournament, I loved it and it brings back some memories, it’s utterly insane to think that teams would play their first team players though, I’m sure Paul Wright picked up a bad injury during one when he was at Hibs.

mentally challengeds getting a free kick because the other team (Hibs/Motherwell I think) kept the ball for too long and wouldn't give them a shot of it.

Was always an enjoyable tournament to watch.

We played Celtic one year. The atmosphere changed totally from good natured to the place bouncing.
We won, and Cooper was brilliant.

How long did it run for? I remember being at school after Hearts had won and some dim Jambo in my class was saying they had qualified for Europe off the back of it!

Is my brain playing tricks or did we not get fined one year for sending an under strength squad?

Back