Men who built clubs and are 'creators' of the club..

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
Yes I'm bored!

Leeds United - when Revie was given job they were 4th best supported club in Leeds (after both rugby codes and cricket) and had no trophies to their name. In fact they had been in regional league for a while. EVERYTHING we think of as Leeds United was down to him.

Auxerre - Guy Roux took over in 1961 when they were regional league amateur side. By the time he left they had won the league, 5 cups, and reached UEFA Cup semi final.

Man U - very brief success pre WW1 (just after being reborn in 1902) but after WW1 were relegated and became a yo yo team, with a best finish of 10th. Busby arrived at end of WW2 and it all began: the youth system, the attacking play, the European games under floodlights etc....the myth was born. They were almost nothing before he arrived.

Anyone think of any others I might have missed?

Liverpool - Bill Shankly
Nottingham Forrest - Brian Clough
Dundee United - Jim McLean
Celtic - Jock Stein

Yes I'm bored!

Leeds United - when Revie was given job they were 4th best supported club in Leeds (after both rugby codes and cricket) and had no trophies to their name. In fact they had been in regional league for a while. EVERYTHING we think of as Leeds United was down to him.

Auxerre - Guy Roux took over in 1961 when they were regional league amateur side. By the time he left they had won the league, 5 cups, and reached UEFA Cup semi final.

Man U - very brief success pre WW1 (just after being reborn in 1902) but after WW1 were relegated and became a yo yo team, with a best finish of 10th. Busby arrived at end of WW2 and it all began: the youth system, the attacking play, the European games under floodlights etc....the myth was born. They were almost nothing before he arrived.

Anyone think of any others I might have missed?

bill_struth.jpg

Stein at the Yahoos. 2 titles in 30 years before he came in. The equivalent of Aberdeen today. Going nowhere. Four figure crowds and burning effigies of Blob Kelly.

Ajax - Rinus Michels. Ajax in Europe just three times when he took over. Left them as European Champions.

"Stein at the Yahoos. 2 titles in 30 years before he came in. The equivalent of Aberdeen today. Going nowhere. Four figure crowds and burning effigies of Blob Kelly."

Also factor in their appalling crowds. I had an old uncle who had followed Rangers since the 1930's He always felt that our biggest rivals were Hearts, Hibs and Dundee. Only really late on in his life (died 1981) were Celtic a regular challenger. Hard to believe that for most of his life Old Firm games were mostly a twice a season side show as we were up against must better challengers.

Pochettino and his work at Spurs in recent years has been pretty impressive I reckon.

His work surpasses that of a Mancini or Pellegrini at City despite their trophies.

He (Pochettino) has left a hell of a foot print at Spurs and worked wonders with players

Wengers work at Arsenal was pretty excellent for a while as well.

Lobanovksy - Dynamo Kyiv
Lattek - Bayern
Herrera - Inter (60s)
Sacchi - Milan (80s)

Probably loads of others who could be said to have made a telling contribution to the identity, dna and success of their clubs. Some even as players, such as Cruyff at Ajax or Beckenbauer at Bayern

Fatih Terim - Galatasaray
Mircea Lucescu - Shakhtar Donetsk
Nevio Scala - Parma

Ferguson at Aberdeen and United.

United were obviously a big successful club prior to Fergie but he took them to a whole new level.

Albert Batteux at Reims, made them the force in French Football in the 1950's by winning 5 League titles and taking them to two European Cup Finals, both lost to a dominant Real Madrid and in between taking time to take France to 3rd place in the 1958 World Cup.

Robert Herbin at Saint Etienne, won 5 French League titles and 3 French Cups as a player before becoming their manager and winning a further 4 League titles, 3 French Cups and a European Cup Final. He also brought through a crop of youngsters that became the spine of their greatest team including Santini, Janvion, Rocheteau who were later joined by a young Platini.

"Stein at the Yahoos. 2 titles in 30 years before he came in. The equivalent of Aberdeen today. Going nowhere. Four figure crowds and burning effigies of Blob Kelly."

Also factor in their appalling crowds. I had an old uncle who had followed Rangers since the 1930's He always felt that our biggest rivals were Hearts, Hibs and Dundee. Only really late on in his life (died 1981) were Celtic a regular challenger. Hard to believe that for most of his life Old Firm games were mostly a twice a season side show as we were up against must better challengers.
They were most known for 'bottle parties' and Third Lanark in particular had a player and official attacked during crowd trouble...they were behind the attempt to force SFA to 'de Irish' Celtic as they were a scum team for scum fans.

Shanks awoke the sleeping giant that was Liverpool and laid the foundations for them to become, in my opinion, the greatest club side the world has ever seen.
Despite 2 CLs in 30 years, they are still in slumber.

Scot Symon at East Fife?

In his 6 years there (1947-1953) he first gained promotion to the top tier as Division 2 champions, and won the League Cup.
He then went on to win another League Cup and also reached the final of the Scottish Cup. In his final season he was still in the running for the League title with a couple of games to play (finished 3rd four points behind Rangers).

Shanks awoke the sleeping giant that was Liverpool and laid the foundations for them to become, in my opinion, the greatest club side the world has ever seen.
Despite 2 CLs in 30 years, they are still in slumber.
Shank's Biography backs all of that. Languishing in the lower Divs he whipped them into the team they became. Liked the red shorts introduction and the games he played to put the fear in opponents. Often wondered why Everton never reached Liverpool's heights. Had the crowds and the money. Was it lack of a Shankly or Paisley?

They were most known for 'bottle parties' and Third Lanark in particular had a player and official attacked during crowd trouble...they were behind the attempt to force SFA to 'de Irish' Celtic as they were a scum team for scum fans.
As the old saying goes “ The more things change the more they stay the same”

Bill Struth is the 5th most successful manager of all time winning us 18 league titles, 10 Scottish Cups and 2 League Cups. I am absolutely certain that Bill Struth could’ve won the European Cup if he had managed Rangers when it started.

Lobanovksy - Dynamo Kyiv
Lattek - Bayern
Herrera - Inter (60s)
Sacchi - Milan (80s)

Probably loads of others who could be said to have made a telling contribution to the identity, dna and success of their clubs. Some even as players, such as Cruyff at Ajax or Beckenbauer at Bayern

Lobanovksy - Dynamo Kyiv - great shout OV

Herbert Chapman. for Huddersfield & Arsenal

4 Football League titles (1923–24 and 1924–25 with Huddersfield Town, 1930–31and 1932–33 with Arsenal)

2 FA Cups (1922–23 with Huddersfield Town, 1929–30 with Arsenal).

Arsenal won f#ck all before he joined, they broke the bank to poach him from Huddersfield.

Money made a difference even all those years ago.

Last edited:
You could argue Allardyce at Bolton in recent history, they've certainly gone to shit since he left them.

Bill Nicholson at Spurs.

Alf Ramsay at Ipswich (although Bobby Robson had a fantastic time there a few years later)

Agree. Don't doubt Mr Struth's influence but if anyone should be thought of then its William Wilton.
An underappreciated post. Wilton was Match Secretary for the season we won every game in the league - a feat unmatched in British football. He was then appointed our first ever manager.

I'd love one of the History Bears to do a piece on William Wilton.

Back