Message from Gio

Davie Weir

“The opportunity to manage an institution like Rangers FC is a privilege which very few are afforded. As a former player, I understood the responsibility and magnitude of the task.

My back room staff and I worked with energy, passion and were driven with a belief that we could achieve amazing things. We treated our roles with respect, optimism and determination.

We experienced some incredible highs, especially on our European journey to Seville. Winning the Scottish cup for the first time in over a decade and qualifying for the group stage of the champions league is something I am very proud of. The passion of our support drove us on to achieve those wonderful memories. For that, I am forever grateful to every single one of you who travelled near and far, spent your hard earned money, and never gave up supporting our team.

This season, like every year at Rangers the first priority is domestic success. I understand the hurt when wins become draws, and worse, when we experience defeat. That isn’t acceptable at a club of Rangers standing, no one understood that and felt that more than I did. I faced unique challenges and some very difficult circumstances to operate in.

Rangers FC will always be in my heart and I wish the club all the success for the future. Once a Ranger, always a Ranger. “

Last edited:
A Rangers player who won a treble and who scored in a cup final, home and away v Celtic and in the Champions League. A Rangees manager who won the Scottish Cup and took us to a European final.

It didn't work out for him, and it was right he left. But Gio's place in Rangers history is there for all to see.

Can anyone post the message, my thanks to the original OP, but I don't have Instagram.
Much appreciated.
The opportunity to manage an institution like Rangers FC is a privilege which very few are afforded. As a former player, I understood the responsibility and magnitude of the task.

My backroom team and I worked with energy, passion and were driven with a belief that we could achieve amazing things. We treated our roles with respect, optimism and determination.

We experienced some incredible highs, especially on our European journey to Seville. Winning the Scottish Cup for the first time in over a decade and qualifying for the group stage of the Champions League is something I am very proud of. The passion of our support drove us on to achieve those wonderful memories. For that, I am forever grateful to every single one of you who travelled near and far, spent your hard earned money, and never gave up supporting our team.

This season, like every year at Rangers, the first priority is domestic success. I understand the hurt when wins become draws, and worse, when we experience defeat. That isn’t acceptable at a club of Rangers standing, no one understood that and felt that more than I did. I faced unique challenges and some very difficult circumstances to operate in.

Rangers FC will always be in my heart and I wish the club all the success for the future. Once a Ranger, always a Ranger.

Can anyone post the message, my thanks to the original OP, but I don't have Instagram.
Much appreciated.
giovannivbronckhorst
The opportunity to manage an institution like Rangers FC is a privilege which very few are afforded. As a former player, I understood the responsibility and magnitude of the task.

My backroom team and I worked with energy, passion and were driven with a belief that we could achieve amazing things. We treated our roles with respect, optimism and determination.

We experienced some incredible highs, especially on our European journey to Seville. Winning the Scottish Cup for the first time in over a decade and qualifying for the group stage of the Champions League is something I am very proud of. The passion of our support drove us on to achieve those wonderful memories. For that, I am forever grateful to every single one of you who travelled near and far, spent your hard earned money, and never gave up supporting our team.

This season, like every year at Rangers, the first priority is domestic success. I understand the hurt when wins become draws, and worse, when we experience defeat. That isn't acceptable at a club of Rangers standing, no one understood that and felt that more than I did. I faced unique challenges and some very difficult circumstances to operate in.

Rangers FC will always be in my heart and I wish the club all the success for the future. Once a Ranger, always a Ranger.

A thoroughly good man. Gave us an incredible European run which included  that semi against Redbull.

The cup which included  that semi against Satan's 11.

And CL entry for the first time in 12 years.

A shame it ended the way it did but genuinely wish him all the best. Hope he goes on to bigger and better things.

In think we are all not surprised to read such a dignified message from Gio, oh how much I hoped it would work for him during bad times this season but even his most vocal backers knew a change was needed. Thank you GVB And best wishes.

Way he conducts himself is with class and dignity. Not for us as far as football goes. I have thought in last year way he plays suits a mid table team in a bigger league.

His personality and mannerisms were never in doubt. He's a top human being. But there was far too many things going wrong and unfortunately he carries the can for the on field results. History will look back at Dortmund and Leipzig as 2 of our greatest ever results, done by his tactics. He'll be welcomed back once the dust has settled.

Nice words from Gio, I wonder what he is referring to here?

“I faced unique challenges and some very difficult circumstances to operate in.”

was thinking what was even the point in putting that in your leaving message, too late for excuses

Back