Message from Gio

A really really nice man. A proper gentleman. Winning the Scottish cup should be expected considering it is all just Scottish teams, we should be winning a domestic cup every year, but the run to the Europa final was spectacular, Leipzig game was special and will stay with me forever and ever.

A good manager, if he wasn't we wouldn't have had seville.

But it just wasn't to be for us. Tactics/training weren't ideal domestically from the start, injuries galore, a rough CL group worsened by horrifying results and I believe the language barrier probably played a part aswell.

Top of that he's far too nice to be manager here, at a club where the standards aren't to win every single game it probably works. But not here.

“I faced unique challenges and some very difficult circumstances to operate in.”

I wonder if this isn't a thinly veiled comment on recruitment.
It’s evident there’s problems between Wilson and the Board or both he’s probably signed a disclosure not to speak out.

Sadly it never worked out but Gio will always be welcome at Ibrox with open arms. All the best and thank you so much for some of the best European nights at Ibrox.

Last edited:
I suppose we don’t know what went on behind the scenes in the summer, but during the window it looked like our business was pretty good and Gio was being backed. Tillman, Ridvan, Davies and Colak were all met pretty positively, Lawrence and Matondo not at the same level but I remember cautious optimism around both. Goodson re-signing was huge. Most people predicted what would happen with Souttar. Hindsight being 20/20 we needed a GK and a CM as well.

Surely Gio is referring to injuries more than anything else, and didn’t want to word it as ‘If we didn’t have so many injuries I wouldn’t have got the sack.’ Which never comes across well.

An absolute class act, will never forget that EL run.

Some of the best times ive had in 40 years supporting Rangers.

Just a shame he couldn’t get it right in the league and was too nice to give these players the good kick in the baws they need.

Wish it worked, it didn't in the end.

Easy to blame injuries but it doesn't cover up the fact he lost the players somewhere along the way

Maybe the board will not provide the same issues to a third manager. Once you can forgive. Second time you are not happy about third time would be unforgivable.

I think in years to come people will look back and think he was very unlucky. In terms of footballing finances, he brought the absolute maximum amount of success he could have with the Europa league final and Champions league qualification.

I think with proper backing and him having control of transfers things could have been very different. The fact we signed no Dutch players with him in charge gives a big indication he wasn't in control of signings.

A Rangers player who won a treble and who scored in a cup final, home and away v Celtic and in the Champions League. A Rangees manager who won the Scottish Cup and took us to a European final.

It didn't work out for him, and it was right he left. But Gio's place in Rangers history is there for all to see.

sounds absolutely bonkers when you list it like that, then say it didnt work out for him!

but thats football

I hope he goes on and achieves the same greatness in his managerial career as his playing career had.
He was unfortunate to come to our club at a time when we have so many players unfit to wear our jersey.

I'm sure I share a similar view of sadness that it didn't work out for Gio. Sadly the timing seemed right for a change of management.

A classy statement, from a class act. Wish him all the best of success for his future.

Thanks for the memories that took us to Seville and a penalty shootout away from winning the Europa League.

It’s evident there’s problems between Wilson and the Board or both he’s probably signed a disclosure not to speak out.

'Its Evident' suggests there's evidence to back this up. From what we hear and see from the board, especially in the interviews leading up to Seville, the board seem pretty happy having Wilson there.

That’s a great statement that I think sums him up as a man. Unfortunately it didn’t work out in the end but I hope he does well in the future.

Now that is a classy statement from a classy guy.

And I think it's fairly obvious the subtle hint there is about recruitment and injuries. Again, fair play to him for not calling it out explicitly and making excuses if indeed that was the case.

All the best Gio.

Yes - wondered the same .
Yeah im interested in this, would be interesting to hear what he feels about level of support he got from the board.

He is without doubt a class act of an individual, I saw that he personally called staff members to say thanks for there work.

Best of luck in the future Gio it just didn’t work out and was the right thing to move him along

“The opportunity to manage an institution like Rangers FC is a privilege which very few are afforded. As a former player, I understood the responsibility and magnitude of the task.

My back room staff and I worked with energy, passion and were driven with a belief that we could achieve amazing things. We treated our roles with respect, optimism and determination.

We experienced some incredible highs, especially on our European journey to Seville. Winning the Scottish cup for the first time in over a decade and qualifying for the group stage of the champions league is something I am very proud of. The passion of our support drove us on to achieve those wonderful memories. For that, I am forever grateful to every single one of you who travelled near and far, spent your hard earned money, and never gave up supporting our team.

This season, like every year at Rangers the first priority is domestic success. I understand the hurt when wins become draws, and worse, when we experience defeat. That isn’t acceptable at a club of Rangers standing, no one understood that and felt that more than I did. I faced unique challenges and some very difficult circumstances to operate in.

Rangers FC will always be in my heart and I wish the club all the success for the future. Once a Ranger, always a Ranger. “

Slightly more classy statement than from either Souness or Gerrard when they fucked off and left us in the shite.

Good luck for the future Gio.

Class statement from Gio. Results clearly weren't good enough in the league. I definitely think he was sold short by the board. We reached a European final , won the Scottish Cup and then he lost 2 major players in bassey and aribo . Those players were never replaced . Ross Wilson has a lot to answer for imo. Good luck in the future Gio.

Class statement. It wasn’t going to work but he carried himself with dignity and deserved so much better from the club in terms of resources. He’s actually too nice a bloke for this hothouse and I really hope he gets the right move next.

Classy statement from a classy guy. Thank you for that unbelievable journey last season. Having my son standing beside me at the Braga game and the joy on his face as I watched him grabbed by the club just like my dad did years before with me will live with me til the day I die. 6 years old at the time now 7 and still every now and again will just start talking about that night.
The night of Leipzig just out of this world. Getting off the bus in Seville to just see a sea of blue everywhere. Coming home to win the Scottish Cup for the first time in over 10 years. Then qualifying for the champions league. Once the dust settles those are the things you will be remembered for. Not how it ended.

“The opportunity to manage an institution like Rangers FC is a privilege which very few are afforded. As a former player, I understood the responsibility and magnitude of the task.

My back room staff and I worked with energy, passion and were driven with a belief that we could achieve amazing things. We treated our roles with respect, optimism and determination.

We experienced some incredible highs, especially on our European journey to Seville. Winning the Scottish cup for the first time in over a decade and qualifying for the group stage of the champions league is something I am very proud of. The passion of our support drove us on to achieve those wonderful memories. For that, I am forever grateful to every single one of you who travelled near and far, spent your hard earned money, and never gave up supporting our team.

This season, like every year at Rangers the first priority is domestic success. I understand the hurt when wins become draws, and worse, when we experience defeat. That isn’t acceptable at a club of Rangers standing, no one understood that and felt that more than I did. I faced unique challenges and some very difficult circumstances to operate in.

Rangers FC will always be in my heart and I wish the club all the success for the future. Once a Ranger, always a Ranger. “
Good luck to him as thats a very dignified and classy statement to the support

Class statement. Had high hopes when he came in and he steadied the ship initially. Overall, his style of play just was not going to be successful for us. Wish him all the best.

The man gave me the best night of my life vs. Leipzig

A few weeks of absolute chaos and euphoria followed that, all thanks to him, his staff and the players

For that I’ll be forever grateful

All the best Gio

Nice words from Gio, I wonder what he is referring to here?

“I faced unique challenges and some very difficult circumstances to operate in.”
Could be the injuries he’s talking about. Then again, it could be that Wilson is worse than useless.

Nice one Gio especially Seville which I never forget with my fellow Gers fans over 100 000
Did Gio get enough time ?
was he unlucky with injuries ?
All the best Gio

Classy -the injuries this year have had a massive impact as has huge loss of form of key players.

I will always cherish the memories of that Europa run and that night against Leipzig will be very hard to top in terms of atmosphere at Ibrox.

Good luck Gio

Classy statement. Real shame it didn’t work out but the memories from the EL run will stay with me forever.

Wishing Gio all the best for the future.

Never forget many of have been here before.

Days with Ally after Walter left were ever so difficult and even though his hands were tied , an se tried to endure the on pitch stuff , it was a hard watch , and was gla he was relieved of the job before it got to point where it was nasty.

Ally was and will always be my favourite player , he gave me so much joy which remains for ever.

Gio will always be one of us , shame it turned !

Back