Message from Gio

I think we all liked and respected Gio, and genuinely wanted him to lead us to glories. Shame it's ended as it has. Would I welcome him back at Ibrox as a visitor. Without a doubt.
He did have "unique" issues, but no excuse to not beat the dross here.

A classy classy man, gave me some of the best memories I’ll ever have as a Rangers fan.

Hopefully when the time is right he comes back for a visit and he gets a great reception.

Very class statement and its very sad it ended this way. Gio is maybe too gentle. The players also have to take their share of the responsibility. They needed some of the Walter or SAF style sorting out.

The general consensus among us is that we wanted him gone. Many were even wanting it last year despite Seville.

He undoubtedly was not backed financially, and probably not in the way he was promised in the first place, so his hands were tied throughout. Throw in injuries, underperforming players and questionable attitudes then he certainly did have a "Unique set of circumstances"

I loved him before he took the job. He made it difficult to keep doing so while manager, but the challenges that were above and beyond the possibility to deal with shouldn't be forgotten - I'll always wish him well.

Thankyou Gio for the time you gave to us at Rangers, the run to Seville awesome and taking the Scottish Cup back to where it belongs also reaching the group stages of Champions League.

“The opportunity to manage an institution like Rangers FC is a privilege which very few are afforded. As a former player, I understood the responsibility and magnitude of the task.

My back room staff and I worked with energy, passion and were driven with a belief that we could achieve amazing things. We treated our roles with respect, optimism and determination.

We experienced some incredible highs, especially on our European journey to Seville. Winning the Scottish cup for the first time in over a decade and qualifying for the group stage of the champions league is something I am very proud of. The passion of our support drove us on to achieve those wonderful memories. For that, I am forever grateful to every single one of you who travelled near and far, spent your hard earned money, and never gave up supporting our team.

This season, like every year at Rangers the first priority is domestic success. I understand the hurt when wins become draws, and worse, when we experience defeat. That isn’t acceptable at a club of Rangers standing, no one understood that and felt that more than I did. I faced unique challenges and some very difficult circumstances to operate in.

Rangers FC will always be in my heart and I wish the club all the success for the future. Once a Ranger, always a Ranger. “
Really feel a bit shytt at how it ended for Gio.
There is obviously a combination of factors and many of them possibly beyond his control, such as financial backing and maybe some of the injuries.
However, I retain a level of affection for Gio and wish him all the best in the future.
He was a good man and a good fit for the office of Rangers Manager.
He gave me some of the greatest moments of my supporting life.
What more can I say?

I think in years to come people will look back and think he was very unlucky. In terms of footballing finances, he brought the absolute maximum amount of success he could have with the Europa league final and Champions league qualification.

I think with proper backing and him having control of transfers things could have been very different. The fact we signed no Dutch players with him in charge gives a big indication he wasn't in control of signings.

Alex McLeish had to deal with worse with more success and gets nowhere near the credit he should

Gio will deservedly be forgotten

Alex McLeish had to deal with worse with more success and gets nowhere near the credit he should

Gio will deservedly be forgotten

Our best European run in decades with some of the greatest nights Ibrox has ever seen will not easily be forgotten by me.

A classy statement from a classy guy. A real shame it never worked out in the long run but Gio at all times conducted himself in a manner befitting a Rangers manager and I’ve no doubts he gave his very best.

The venom some on here seem to have for him is bewildering to me and completely unbecoming of someone who calls themselves a Ranger.

The players done that, he was just there

It's abundantly clear from the players downing tools
You can't say that when the same players were close to us not even getting through the groups under Gerrard. Gio clearly had a positive impact on the EL games and the tactical changes he made mid games basically won us Dortmund and Leipzig

Class statement fom a Gentleman who gave us some excellent memories ,shame it didn't work out for him in the end, I wish him all the best in his future , Once a Bear always a Bear....

Our best European run in decades with some of the greatest nights Ibrox has ever seen will not easily be forgotten by me.

A classy statement from a classy guy. A real shame it never worked out in the long run but Gio at all times conducted himself in a manner befitting a Rangers manager and I’ve no doubts he gave his very best.

The venom some on here seem to have for him is bewildering to me and completely unbecoming of someone who calls themselves a Ranger.

And the change in narrative from those who wanted him gone too is hilarious

Now he's a nice guy, few weeks back we all wanted blood, we done this and it was correct

A very decent man, and not unsurprising that he makes such a great statement. For whatever reason it didn't work, and it looked the right thing to part with his services as Manager, but as a person he was easy to be impressed by, in the way he held himself and so on. All the best to him.

He does not mention or thank the board either, only the fans.

Be interesting if he ever elaborates on those unique challenges and difficult circumstances
Exactly what I noticed.
The first such statement that I can recall that doesn't do so.
Pretty pointed imo.

Class personified.
It did not work out for him as manager but sometimes it's just not meant to happen. No ill will from me

Great guy, gutted he didn't get the success we craved and he deserved.

A casualty of a very cut-throat business and a run of poor results. Hope he goes on to be successful elsewhere.

Absolute nonsense, Gio’s and the team all contributed to getting us to the final. It’s a shame how it turned out for him in the end but it comes across snide when you try to downplay his achievement in Europe.

I'll never celebrate losing, won't apologise

Seems a nice enough guy and it’s a well written message but I’m glad he’s gone, the rate we were going backwards at was truly alarming.

Good luck to him wherever he ends up, feel like he needs a club where the expectation to win isn’t so high.

Now he's a nice guy, few weeks back we all wanted blood, we done this and it was correct
He had to be removed but that doesn’t conflict with the fact he is a good guy behaving with great dignity. Christ knows why you seem to want to keep kicking him when he’s gone.

(1)He is is a good man who gave his very best and gave us some incredible memories in his year in charge.

(2) The evidence suggests he was probably not the man who was going to install the ruthless consistency needed to win league titles.

These statements do not contradict each other and can both be true.
It is possible to believe the time probably was right to change the manager but to recognise that there were real achievements in his tenure that deserve respect.

I accept there are likely errors on both sides, but, maybe, just maybe some players would like to reflect on their part in this.

There won't be many players where a genuine sadness will be prevalent amongst the support on their departure - irrespective of how often they kiss or point to our badge.

Classy as expected

Ultimately though he knows that no matter what the circumstances are it’s a results based business, even if the board played their part in his downfall as Rangers manager.

Hopefully lessons will be learned from this.

He gave us some great Euro nights. Things were rotten domestically too often for us under him but time will allow us to appreciate things a bit better I am sure. I think everyone wishes him well in the future.

Nice words from Gio, I wonder what he is referring to here?

“I faced unique challenges and some very difficult circumstances to operate in.”
he was told just who he was signing. just like Wilson who's also been slaughtered on here ,he too was told who we are signing .both operatored with a hand tied behind their backs in my opinion. buy the players also need to take a long hard look at themselves

Gio, thank you for all that you have done for our club, unfortunately certain players let you down, you had a ridiculous amount of injuries to contend with plus lack of board support. However, some tactics didn't work and became too predictable.

Good luck wherever you go.

I hoped Gio would have been a success die to his prior association with the club. Unfortunately it wasn't to be and im just glad it was cut short before the fans really turned on him as that would have been very hard to watch.

Best of luck to Gio for his future career.

Classy statement with a subtle dig at the board. Feel for him how it ended but was the correct decision for both parties wish him all the best in the future

Feel for him but that’s life. I also feel he was let down by a totally inept director of football and no doubt he had concerns about the months ahead and the contract situation with some of his key players.

He has to carry the can and he has to face the cameras after every bad result, if only the director of football or the head of medical thought to communicate directly with the fans and offer something on our injury list, contracts and transfer performance.

Wilson should have at least had the good grace to comment after his sacking

Last edited:
Typical Gio, class is permanent. He was the right man in a bad time, taking us to the Europa League final is an achievement in itself, then to bring the cup home. He had an unbelievable run, but sadly something went awry.
Best of British to our Gio in whatever role he takes up next.

Back