Message from Gio

We all wanted him to succeed. At a minimum, we needed him to get every drop out of the players irrespective of the other limitations. He didn’t. That’s why he’s gone. However, he will always be welcome back.

“The opportunity to manage an institution like Rangers FC is a privilege which very few are afforded. As a former player, I understood the responsibility and magnitude of the task.

My back room staff and I worked with energy, passion and were driven with a belief that we could achieve amazing things. We treated our roles with respect, optimism and determination.

We experienced some incredible highs, especially on our European journey to Seville. Winning the Scottish cup for the first time in over a decade and qualifying for the group stage of the champions league is something I am very proud of. The passion of our support drove us on to achieve those wonderful memories. For that, I am forever grateful to every single one of you who travelled near and far, spent your hard earned money, and never gave up supporting our team.

This season, like every year at Rangers the first priority is domestic success. I understand the hurt when wins become draws, and worse, when we experience defeat. That isn’t acceptable at a club of Rangers standing, no one understood that and felt that more than I did. I faced unique challenges and some very difficult circumstances to operate in.

Rangers FC will always be in my heart and I wish the club all the success for the future. Once a Ranger, always a Ranger. “
These are the sort of comments we needed to hear while he was manager not after the fact, the energy, passion etc were not evident during post match interviews or press conferences.

I was never convinced that Gio was the right man for us but he did give us some great moments and has been really unlucky with injuries and some poor signings.The defeats to the tramps and our horrendous Champions League performances are unacceptable though on top of some poor league results were too much to survive.

I've always been a fan of Gio's dignity, professionalism & class
He conducts himself with all the decorum we want & expect from a Rangers manager
(to be fair just like SG before him)
& this statement maintains that professionalism

I'm as disappointed as anyone that things didn't work out for him & I've had more than a few suspicions that there were unknown circumstances at play during his tenure
Although this statement may hint at this he still manages to remain discreet & dignified - while also showing full respect for our club

I wish Gio every success in the future & hope he fulfils all his future ambitions

Genuine sadness it never worked for Gio as well and he is correct:

"I faced unique challenges and some very difficult circumstances to operate in"

The worst injury crisis I have ever seen, poor recruitment and in particular at least one waste of space in the dressing room i.e Morelos.

Thanks for the memories Gio & all the best.

There was only a few when Gerrard left. They’re probably too ashamed for as much as the tactics and style was poor under Gio every single player probably outwith Colak have been nothing short of a disgrace to the club and themselves
Correct Gio was ultimately to blame because of his position . The players as you say should be ashamed especially for the performances against the tinks and especially Liverpool at Ibrox these games weren't all down to bad tactics though..Morelos should be particularly ashamed not just for his underachieving but for his fitness and attitude , he's let the fans , the club , his team mates and himself down.

Nice words from Gio, I wonder what he is referring to here?

“I faced unique challenges and some very difficult circumstances to operate in.”
Would like to know more about these but as usual we will be the last to know.

Leaves with his head held high and with a bit of dignity.

I didn't want it to get truly toxic for him which it inevitably would have.

Best all round that he went befor things were too damaging to his future employment prospects.

I wish him well.

Just didnt work out but a nice guy wish him all the best ,and i do believe he loves the club.

Reactions: TQ3
Thanks for setting us back 4 years gio cheers

You get some clueless pish on here, but %^*& me, this takes the biscuit.

In one year, he won us our first SC since 2009 and took us to a European Final, pishing all over the likes of BvD and RBL along the way.
He also qualified us for the CL group stages, for the first time in god knows how long, defeating 2 teams who absolutely cruised through the Europa group stages.

The revenue last year's Europa run and this year's CL qualification generated has put our club on a really safe financial footing, as opposed to "setting us back 4 years."

Get your facts right, before spouting garbage.

Last edited:
Given that we never signed a single Dutch player, I would guess the problem is recruitment and probably the fact that RW has the final word on signings.

Surely one of the very few, if only, Dutch manager without a single Dutch player in his team.

I’m sorry that we didn’t get to see him manage a fully fit squad or get backed by the board when we reached the Champions League. A case of what might have been. However, some players stopped playing for him and he lost a lot of the support so I understand why he had to go. If the new manager doesn’t get backing then the outcome will be the same. Time will tell.

It’s a shame the way it ended for Gio.

I watched some of the Leipzig footage back the other night and it was strange and sad to see how he’d taken us from such a high to where we are now.
I think players are culpable there as well to go from that to what they show now. I guess we'll soon know when the new Manager comes in how much of a disconnect there was and I do feel for him, between that and budget constraints.

Given that we never signed a single Dutch player, I would guess the problem is recruitment and probably the fact that RW has the final word on signings.
Or "these are the choices we can afford". Ramsay and Diallo's appearance stats say it all.

Why would he thank them? They never backed him anywhere near enough.
Because usually when you read something from a manager after he leaves he usually thanks everyone at the club followed by thanking the fans…he never mentioned anyone at the club, never even mentioned the players, only thanked the fans

Nice message from Gio, shame it ended like it did but the EL run will live with me forever.
If those so called professional players tried harder & we didn't accrue the injuries we did things might have been different.
Good European manager not suited to Scottish football, good luck GVB.

“The opportunity to manage an institution like Rangers FC is a privilege which very few are afforded. As a former player, I understood the responsibility and magnitude of the task.

My back room staff and I worked with energy, passion and were driven with a belief that we could achieve amazing things. We treated our roles with respect, optimism and determination.

We experienced some incredible highs, especially on our European journey to Seville. Winning the Scottish cup for the first time in over a decade and qualifying for the group stage of the champions league is something I am very proud of. The passion of our support drove us on to achieve those wonderful memories. For that, I am forever grateful to every single one of you who travelled near and far, spent your hard earned money, and never gave up supporting our team.

This season, like every year at Rangers the first priority is domestic success. I understand the hurt when wins become draws, and worse, when we experience defeat. That isn’t acceptable at a club of Rangers standing, no one understood that and felt that more than I did. I faced unique challenges and some very difficult circumstances to operate in.

Rangers FC will always be in my heart and I wish the club all the success for the future. Once a Ranger, always a Ranger. “
An amazing servant to our club. We became a laughing stock after that semi final defeat to hibs .

The written and broadcast media drove an agenda that said everything about the club was negative.
Taking us to a European final soured our many haters to the pit of their stomach .
From then on, the vitriol thrown at him was systematic , and orchestrated to chase him out of Scotland by hook or by crook.

As it was the results were deemed sufficient enough to foster a drive for change from within the club. How sad was that?
None of us feel confident in seeing our club achieving a European final . Thank you Giovanni . No surrender

You get some clueless pish on here, but %^*& me, this takes the biscuit.

In one year, he won us our first SC since 2009 and took us to a European Final, pishing all over the likes of BvD and RBL along the way.
He also qualified us for the CL group stages, for the first time in god knows how long, defeating 2 teams who absolutely cruised through the Europa group stages.

The revenue last year's Europa run and this year's CL qualification generated has put our club on a really safe financial footing, as opposed to "setting us back 4 years."

Get your facts right, before spouting garbage.
So why is he sacked and trailing again in the league

Nice words from Gio, I wonder what he is referring to here?

“I faced unique challenges and some very difficult circumstances to operate in.”

Budget restraints?

Poor player recruitment?

Injuries?

All three possibly?

I still believe Gio should have been given at least to the end of the season. His achievements last season into this deserved that chance. Every Manager hits a bump in the road, especially after such a high as reaching a European final. I wish him all the best.

The vast majority of us who knew it was time for change didn't see the need to abuse him though

As I said previously, his statement is dignified and shows his love and respect for our club.

Could you say the same about the sly and underhand way Souness and Gerrard left us?
Don't remember a similar classy statement from either of them either.
Gerrard made a statement that ended word for word the same as Gio's.

Winning “55” will always hold a special place in my heart – each and every one of you played a part in that and, believe me, there will be many more to come.

“I hope in time you can understand and accept my decision to move on but I honestly fell in love with the club and will always follow the team.

“Once a Ranger, always a Ranger #55”.

Last edited:
Correct Gio was ultimately to blame because of his position . The players as you say should be ashamed especially for the performances against the tinks and especially Liverpool at Ibrox these games weren't all down to bad tactics though..Morelos should be particularly ashamed not just for his underachieving but for his fitness and attitude , he's let the fans , the club , his team mates and himself down.

Morelos isnt worth the hassle.

I've always been a fan of Gio's dignity, professionalism & class
He conducts himself with all the decorum we want & expect from a Rangers manager
(to be fair just like SG before him)
& this statement maintains that professionalism

I'm as disappointed as anyone that things didn't work out for him & I've had more than a few suspicions that there were unknown circumstances at play during his tenure
Although this statement may hint at this he still manages to remain discreet & dignified - while also showing full respect for our club

I wish Gio every success in the future & hope he fulfils all his future ambitions
Completely agree with this.

Gio is a gentleman and clearly loves the club and it’s a great statement

There are definitely a few players who need to take a look in the mirror and ask themselves if they think it’s acceptable to go from the run to Seville to this standard we have seen this season

Apart from PSV the team have been chronic and they can blame the manager and his team all they want but the players have let everyone down

Good luck Gio and I hope you get a new role asap.

Nice sentiments from Gio.
Really sorry it didn’t work out for him with us; we had some great highs and corresponding lows. Hope he secures a decent club in the future and leads them to atrophy or two.

Gio is a gentleman and clearly loves the club and it’s a great statement

There are definitely a few players who need to take a look in the mirror and ask themselves if they think it’s acceptable to go from the run to Seville to this standard we have seen this season

Apart from PSV the team have been chronic and they can blame the manager and his team all they want but the players have let everyone down

Good luck Gio and I hope you get a new role asap.
They behaved cowardly and hid behind the abuse that GBV was taking.

Gerrard made a statement that ended word for word the same as Gio's.

Winning “55” will always hold a special place in my heart – each and every one of you played a part in that and, believe me, there will be many more to come.

“I hope in time you can understand and accept my decision to move on but I honestly fell in love with the club and will always follow the team.

“Once a Ranger, always a Ranger #55”.

I remember him telling us how happy and settled he was at Ibrox, 2 weeks before he left.

Back