Messi - 2 goals, 2 assists.

Messi is the greatest. Ronaldo is fantastic aswell obviously but Messi is the all round perfect player. His passing his better, his dribbling is better, he comes deep to pick the ball up. Ronaldo is the complete striker, but Messi is the best.

Slightly different argument, but I think that players now are the much better athletes and sportsmen than the great players of years ago.

It’s like the endless Federer v Nadal debates. Can’t we just say they’re both fantastic? Amazes me folk get angry about this stuff. For the record I’m in the Messi camp!

I don't think there has ever been a better player to watch than Messi, and for me he is the greatest of all time. But i can see the Ronaldo argument, especially if he wins the champions league with a third club.

I'd also add it's messi/ronaldo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>anyone else that has played the game.

No, we’ll just ignore the fact that in the last 6 years, Ronaldo has won 4 ballon d’Or’s compared to Messi’s 1.

But yeah, no debate at all Messi is the best. So good that he didnt even make the top 3 last year!
If you genuinely think the Ballon d'Or was accurate and that Messi is the 5th best player in the world then you are nigh on braindead. He single handedly nearly dragged Barca to an unbeaten league season and Argentina to the WC then the quarter finals.

If you genuinely think the Ballon d'Or was accurate and that Messi is the 5th best player in the world then you are nigh on braindead. He single handedly nearly dragged Barca to an unbeaten league season and Argentina to the WC then the quarter finals.

Single handedly :D:D

Did you he play in goal? Centre back? Fair enough, must be superhuman!

The Messi Groupies are like teenage fans of a boyband group :D The whole ''it's no even up for debate'' is a lot of sh*te. Both Ronaldo and Messi have legitimate claims at being the more successful/better footballer, it's close either way and I don't have an issue with people who favour one or the other.

Messi is the better technical footballer there's no doubt about that but you simply can't base it on skill. Ronaldinho was probably more skilful than Messi in terms of sheer raw skill, that doesn't make him a better player than Messi.

Imo if Ronaldo goes and conquers another league and wins his 6th CL title with a 3rd different club in a 3rd country then he shades it for me based on overall achievements.

Ronaldo’s hat trick the other night demonstrated why he’s talked about in such lofty terms, but also why he fails to convince many that he deserves to be ranked alongside once in a generation players like Pele, Cruyff, Maradona and Messi as the grestest of all time.

The stats will show that two down from the first leg it was Ronaldo, yet again, who made the difference, firing his side into the quarter finals through his irresistible will to win alone.

And that is hugely impressive, but then you look at the goals: a blind side header for the first, which did display his unerring knack of sniffing out a goal and having the physical prowess to win his one on ones, but ultimately it was a bit meh; then another header that the keeper flapped badly at and probably should have kept out, and finally a penalty to round it off.

It was impressive in as much as he had the character and ability as a truly supreme striker to make the difference, but it’s not quite on the same page as Messi destroying Arsenal with four wonderful solo strikes at the same point of the same competition half a dozen years ago or whenever it was.

I think Ronaldo is a phenomenal scorer of goals and a player who will justifiably be remembered as an all-time great, but he just doesn’t possess the hallmark of genius to be ranked alongside the very, very best for me.

Single handedly :D:D

Did you he play in goal? Centre back? Fair enough, must be superhuman!
He won far more points for them than anyone else and any time they looked like losing it was him that saved them, to me and any normal person that is single handed

Ronaldo’s hat trick the other night demonstrated why he’s talked about in such lofty terms, but also why he fails to convince many that he deserves to be ranked alongside once in a generation players like Pele, Cruyff, Maradona and Messi as the grestest of all time.

The stats will show that two down from the first leg it was Ronaldo, yet again, who made the difference, firing his side into the quarter finals through his irresistible will to win alone.

And that is hugely impressive, but then you look at the goals: a blind side header for the first, which did display his unerring knack of sniffing out a goal and having the physical prowess to win his one on ones, but ultimately it was a bit meh; then another header that the keeper flapped badly at and probably should have kept out, and finally a penalty to round it off.

It was impressive in as much as he had the character and ability as a truly supreme striker to make the difference, but it’s not quite on the same page as Messi destroying Arsenal with four wonderful solo strikes at the same point of the same competition half a dozen years ago or whenever it was.

I think Ronaldo is a phenomenal scorer of goals and a player who will justifiably be remembered as an all-time great, but he just doesn’t possess the hallmark of genius to be ranked alongside the very, very best for me.

He had unbelievable skill and tricks when he used to play as a winger before adapting his game to become more of a number 9. You're making him sound like a rich mans Kris Boyd here :D

The Messi Groupies are like teenage fans of a boyband group :D The whole ''it's no even up for debate'' is a lot of sh*te. Both Ronaldo and Messi have legitimate claims at being the more successful/better footballer, it's close either way and I don't have an issue with people who favour one or the other.

Messi is the better technical footballer there's no doubt about that but you simply can't base it on skill. Ronaldinho was probably more skilful than Messi in terms of sheer raw skill, that doesn't make him a better player than Messi.

Imo if Ronaldo goes and conquers another league and wins his 6th CL title with a 3rd different club in a 3rd country then he shades it for me based on overall achievements.
Conquers another league? It's hardly Diego at Napoli is it?

Always find the notion Ronaldo is somehow just a functional player and stats guy a load of shite.

His first goal the other night was fucken ridiculous.

Go and spend a day down the park and try and replicate that without breaking your neck, good luck with that...more so given its typically said by a shower of fat arses who can barely even play 5's..

You’d swear Ronaldo has dragged Accrington Stanley to a title. He’s played for Man United, Real Madrid and Juventus. They all would have been favourites for the title with or without him at the times was at the clubs.

You’d swear Ronaldo has dragged Accrington Stanley to a title. He’s played for Man United, Real Madrid and Juventus. They all would have been favourites for the title with or without him at the times was at the clubs.

That make Messi's CLs and La Liga's with Barcelona irrelevant as well then?

No, we’ll just ignore the fact that in the last 6 years, Ronaldo has won 4 ballon d’Or’s compared to Messi’s 1.

But yeah, no debate at all Messi is the best. So good that he didnt even make the top 3 last year!

And do you genuinely believe that was the correct decision?

He had unbelievable skill and tricks when he used to play as a winger before adapting his game to become more of a number 9. You're making him sound like a rich mans Kris Boyd here :D

I’ve always said he was a more exciting player as a winger, now he’s like some relentless cyborg goalscoring machine.

Not at all true re his time at Man U they were in the doldrums during part of his time with them, it was his escalation in talent that helped them overcome sides - they went 3 years of being quite shit in the context of looking like a team who could win the EPL.

Ronaldo for me.

Technically with ball at feet Messi is better but as an all round player I think Ronaldo is better.

Ronaldo has also done it in the 2 best leagues and with Portugal. He’s currently doing it in a 3rd country.

Ronaldo ain’t been knocked out of the champions league in 4 years which is just mental stats

Maybe not, no. Still props up the CV though and IF he wins the CL with Juve as well, even the Messi Groupies can't play down that achievement. Alongside his 5 CL titles with Real and Man Utd and his Euros win with Portugal....
Ronaldo is a phenomenal footballer, there is no doubt about that. I just think Messi is a level above. It's not really an insult as he's probably a level above every other player who's ever played the game bar one or two.

Does no one else find it slightly suspicious that Messi and Maradona both had the same growth problems and got the same treatment and both because became best players in the world?

Who's the next talented midget going to come through? :D

Both absolutely phenomenal at what they do. Ronaldo scores great goals, lots of them and in big games. Messi does that too, plus so much more.

I don't really bother debating with anyone who thinks Ronaldo is a more talented footballer than Messi. Doesn't get me angry or anything, I just smile and shake my head and assume they play too much FIFA.

The only other guy that's ever played the game who was as good a footballer as Messi is Maradona.

Ronaldo is a phenomenal footballer, there is no doubt about that. I just think Messi is a level above. It's not really an insult as he's probably a level above every other player who's ever played the game bar one or two.

I don't have an issue with you thinking Messi is better. There is a more than valid argument for him. It's things like (what you posted up the page) ''I can't take anyone who thinks Ronaldo is better seriously''. That's just hyperbolic nonsense. There's a bawhair in it either way.

This for me. There’s no wow factor in watching Oblak make a cùnt of the second goal or watching CR7 smash home penalties.

CR7 is a player for the Americanised stat junkies. Messi is a player for the football fans, and he’s no rapist either which is a bonus.

Disagree about the stat junkies as even they favour Messi. Though CR7 fans certainly use them.

I think CR7 is a favorite of the instagram society, where its all about image.

Last edited:
I don't have an issue with you thinking Messi is better. There is a more than valid argument for him. It's things like (what you posted up the page) ''I can't take anyone who thinks Ronaldo is better seriously''. That's just hyperbolic nonsense. There's a bawhair in it either way.

There isn't though. Messi is undeniably the best footballer of all time. He'll never be surpassed.

At almost any other time in history Ronaldo would be the undisputed best player in the world at the moment but he has come along at the same time as Messi who is a one in a billion talent.

Messi has been on great form again this season his goals and assists are frightening. Every time he gets on the ball it's fear for the opposition. Ronaldo too is top drawer but people forget he plays more as a striker. 2 awesome players but for me messi on a different planet.
There isn't though. Messi is undeniably the best footballer of all time. He'll never be surpassed.
Agree with this. I always thought maradona would be best ever but have to hold hands up and say messi has surpassed him. Every time he gets on the ball it's panic time for opposition.

One of the better descriptions I heard was that Ronaldo is a machine, Messi is an artist.

Can't remember who said it. Probably some fucking spacker like McManaman or Lee Dixon, but I thought it was a good analogy anyway.

Just being honest. Messi is on another planet.

No comparison for me. Ronaldo is a machine and a great player but the only thing he can be compared to Messi with is scoring goals.

To be considered the best ever you need to be the best or one of the best on a lot of things. I am not saying that Ronaldo can't pass a ball or dribble by players or has the vision to see movement of players around him but you would never consider him one of the best at these things, whereas there is cases to be made that Messi is the best at all of them, in my opinion.

I also believe that it is harder to do what Messi does, especially in the scoring goals department as he starts from deeper and constantly has 2 or more people trying to stop him when he is on the ball. Ronaldo plays on the knife edge and is unbelievable at it.

Ronaldo is probably the greatest frontman/all round striker ever, but Messi is the greatest player.

People always say "Ronaldo is the greatest goalscorer of all time" - even though Messi isn't far behind him and has played far fewer games.

At the moment, Messi's the best goalscorer in the world, the best dribbler, the best assister and probably the best midfielder as well. His range of passing is frightening.

Seen this earlier: Combined goals & assists for the season...

Messi - 57
Mbappe - 41
Ronaldo - 36
Sterling - 35
Benzema - 30

In a league of his own and he missed a month through injury.

Ballon d'Or is a bit of a farce don't you think? I mean Modric won it ffs.

Ronaldo won it for scoring an overhead kick for Madrid as well.

On pretty much every stat recorded, Messi beats Ronaldo.

Bit rich calling something a farce then using stats to back up an argument on how good a player is.

This whole Messi vs Ronaldo debate is tiresome, they're both clearly exceptional players in their own rights with their own strengths, can't we just leave it at that and enjoy their greatness whilst we have them?

Ronaldo for me.

Technically with ball at feet Messi is better but as an all round player I think Ronaldo is better.

Ronaldo has also done it in the 2 best leagues and with Portugal. He’s currently doing it in a 3rd country.

Ronaldo ain’t been knocked out of the champions league in 4 years which is just mental stats

Better overall, how? Ones a ruthless scorer, the others a ruthless scorer and the best passer of a ball and the most creative player in the world who can operate up front or anywhere across the midfield.

Ronaldo didn’t play in Portugal’s big final game, he had more poor games than good ones at that tournament.

Ronaldo joined Juventus, 7 in a row is what they’re on. It’s a one horse race and he literally couldn’t have chosen an easier challenge for himself, if you can call it a challenge. Also, if Ronaldo wins the CL again he further elevates himself? That’s obviously what happens, but it seems sketchy in cases like last season where he spent the semi’s and final standing around as his team mates won it. It happened in two finals against Atletico two, two rotten showings, saved by Ramos and Navas.

Last edited:
Bit rich calling something a farce then using stats to back up an argument on how good a player is.

This whole Messi vs Ronaldo debate is tiresome, they're both clearly exceptional players in their own rights with their own strengths, can't we just leave it at that and enjoy their greatness whilst we have them?

Not really sure what you mean tbh? The Ballon d'Or is a farce because Modric won it and Messi came 5th.

What's that got to do with stats?

Not really sure what you mean tbh? The Ballon d'Or is a farce because Modric won it and Messi came 5th.

What's that got to do with stats?

In your post you called the Ballon d'Or a farce and then used stats to back up the Messi being better than Ronaldo argument.

Stats in themselves are a bit of a farce when it comes to assessing a footballers ability.

People always say "Ronaldo is the greatest goalscorer of all time" - even though Messi isn't far behind him and has played far fewer games.

At the moment, Messi's the best goalscorer in the world, the best dribbler, the best assister and probably the best midfielder as well. His range of passing is frightening.

Seen this earlier: Combined goals & assists for the season...

Messi - 57
Mbappe - 41
Ronaldo - 36
Sterling - 35
Benzema - 30

In a league of his own and he missed a month through injury.

Sterling one surprised me. I was listening to some sports programme on the radio the other day and they were banging on about him now being one of the best in the world. Suppose the stats do give that a bit of mileage (if you base it on that I mean)

Back