Messi free kick tonight

Yeah mate. Hence the ‘imo’.
I’ve seen Cruyff ,Maradona and Zidane but still don’t want to say any of them is the best footballer there has ever been in the history of the game,why do Messi fans think otherwise ?

• Haha
Reactions: TN8
I’ve seen Cruyff ,Maradona and Zidane but still don’t want to say any of them is the best footballer there has ever been in the history of the game,why do Messi fans think otherwise ?
I think, outside Maradona, thats because they are a level below the true elite.

Because Messi has probably won the same amount of trophies as the three of them combined?

GOAT maybe.

Now let me think ... Maradona in a superstar team today, where all the great players are playing together, with these pitches and the modern protection players get, the modern boots and football technology.
Maybe Messi is not the GOAT.

Close but probably no cigar. ;)

But I still love Messi all the same.

GOAT maybe.
Maradona in a superstar team today, where all the great players are playing together, with these pitches and the modern protection players get, the modern boots and football technology.
Maybe Messi is not the GOAT.
Close but probably no cigar. ;)

But I still love Messi.
Tactics are getting better, players are getting fitter and faster with every generation and the centralization of better players and teams in Europe means it's hard to compare any players against those of a previous generation. I think it's as simple as Pele was the best in his time, Cruyff in his, Maradona in his and so on. That said, Messi has a longevity at the highest level that none of the others have matched and as above, I'm fairly sure he's probably got near enough the same number of club medals as Zidane, Cruyff and Maradona combined. I don't think anyone would ever consider international football as a benchmark except oddly in this debate. Haaland and Mbappe might end up scoring more goals and winning more medals than Messi and I'll still probably see him as best because he's the one I grew up watching and idolizing as the benchmark.

Tactics are getting better, players are getting fitter and faster with every generation and the centralization of better players and teams in Europe means it's hard to compare any players against those of a previous generation. I think it's as simple as Pele was the best in his time, Cruyff in his, Maradona in his and so on.
Yes, I agree.
It isn't fair perhaps to compare players across the generations.
Indeed, it is in truth impossible.

Perhaps we should just pay tribute to them as they come along and be grateful.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree.
It isn't fair perhaps to compare players across the generations.
Indeed, it is in truth impossible.

Perhaps we should just pay tribute to them as they come a long and be grateful.
Like I said, all signs are pointing towards Haaland and Mbappe dominating this generation of football in the same way that Messi and Ronaldo did in theirs. I'll probably never see either as being as good, because I'm older and things were just clearly better when I was young. :D

Like I said, all signs are pointing towards Haaland and Mbappe dominating this generation of football in the same way that Messi and Ronaldo did in theirs. I'll probably never see either as being as good, because I'm older and things were just clearly better when I was young. :D
Like the way people saw footballers before Messi and Ronaldo.

Yeah he's the best ever but that free kick is nothing particularly special is it?
It's an aesthetically beautiful free kick executed perfectly and made look effortless because he is Messi!! That free kick wouldn't make his top 5 and won't get the credit it deserves because we expect it from him, because he has scored way better etc but it's a fantastic goal, the precision, the way he whips it up, around and down getting all that action and spin is outstanding technique!!

Who is the GOAT tends to be based on your age. IMHO nobody comes close to Maradona, he took an average Italian team and made them into 1 of the best, and he won a World Cup, and I don't think Messi could/can/will ever be able to do that. But I remember when I was younger and people spoke about the GOAT, the older 1s would say Pele, much the same way people say Messi and I say Maradona.

As a much older (than most) bear, I'd put Pele, Cruyff and Maradona at least at that level.
Pele, World Cup winner at 17 and starting the final in 1958.
Cruyff, a player who's had the greatest influence in football.
Maradona a player who took an average Napoli team to supreme levels.
Messi, wonderful player, chose the easiest option when leaving Barca. How much money do you need?

N
Seems to have stepped it up a bit this season. It’s not even up for debate if he’s the best ever imo. Just hope he can get the World Cup to finish it all off for him.

Not sure what is so wonderful about that free kick? Schmiechal is too far to one side, leaving the goal wide open on the other side.

A free kick I would expect quite a large number of EPL players to score. I even think Tavernier would have scored it.

Back