Messi free kick tonight

I’ve seen Cruyff ,Maradona and Zidane but still don’t want to say any of them is the best footballer there has ever been in the history of the game,why do Messi fans think otherwise ?

There are two possible viewpoints:

1. Best ever person to play the game of football
2. Footballer who stood out the most for being good at the game

I have no doubt that Cruyff was incredible. But the Cruyff turn today, is a fairly run of the mill move. That doesn’t take away from him having invented it and what it meant to football at the time, but it does show that the technical standard has come on since then.

What Messi and Ronaldo do with the ball, those you mentioned could only dream of.

There are two possible viewpoints:

1. Best ever person to play the game of football
2. Footballer who stood out the most for being good at the game

I have no doubt that Cruyff was incredible. But the Cruyff turn today, is a fairly run of the mill move. That doesn’t take away from him having invented it and what it meant to football at the time, but it does show that the technical standard has come on since then.
.Fair enough in my haste i for forgot to mention the Real Ronaldo .

the best player of all time, messi, maradona would be in the conversation, for me the one who could have been regarded as the greatest of all time was R9, but we never got the chance to see him prove it cause of his injuries

Not a doubt in my mind if he hadn’t suffered serious injuries that the Maradona/Pele/Messi debate everyone has would have had him in it too. Probably my favourite non Rangers player ever (fav ever being Laudrup obviously).

Not a doubt in my mind if he hadn’t suffered serious injuries that the Maradona/Pele/Messi debate everyone has would have had him in it too. Probably my favourite non Rangers player ever (fav ever being Laudrup obviously).
He was doing what Haaland’s doing now at an even younger age, a one man wrecking machine

I don't think we'll see the likes of another Messi or both Ronaldo's again for a very long time.

Feel bad for Ronaldo sat on a bench, really feel Man Utd could have let him go but forced him to stay. I'm sure more will come out about this soon.

I wouldn't put Haaland in this category despite how immense he is. He'd still need to score something like 38 goals a season until he's 36 years old to even match Messi and Ronaldo. He's a long way to go before he gets that status.

He was doing what Haaland’s doing now at an even younger age, a one man wrecking machine
He was better than Haaland by a distance tbh. Haaland is an incredible goal scorer but he couldn’t take the ball past multiple players in tight spaces the way Ronaldo could. R9’s close control is matched only by Messi, he could nutmeg you inside a phone box.

Anyone who has been paying attention this season will know how good Messi has been. Him and Neymar are a joke this year.

Scored a free kick the other night against Jamaica as well.

I'd love for him to win a World Cup purely for the fact the Pele/Maradona crowd would no longer have any arguments.

Anyone who has been paying attention this season will know how good Messi has been. Him and Neymar are a joke this year.

Scored a free kick the other night against Jamaica as well.

I'd love for him to win a World Cup purely for the fact the Pele/Maradona crowd would no longer have any arguments.

You forgot Kylian, who bailed them out at the weekend :cool:

The three of them have been on another level really. I actually can't wait to see what happens at the World Cup.

This.

Nothing but nostalgia. Realistically Messi surpassed Maradona about 10 years ago.

yer arse, not nostalgia at all. Maradona took an average side and won them a scudetto, took an average Argentine side and won them a world cup. Messi hasn't won a world cup in a decent Argentina side and has always played in dominant domestic sides.

Maradona was the GOAT. It's indisputable.

yer arse, not nostalgia at all. Maradona took an average side and won them a scudetto, took an average Argentine side and won them a world cup. Messi hasn't won a world cup in a decent Argentina side and has always played in dominant domestic sides.

Maradona was the GOAT. It's indisputable.

Maradona won Serie A and a World Cup. Big deal. Having a few good games in the World Cup in 1986 doesn't make him the best player ever.

Flopped at Barcelona.

Those who bang on about his exploits at Napoli probably saw the odd highlights of their games, at a push.

Seems to have stepped it up a bit this season. It’s not even up for debate if he’s the best ever imo. Just hope he can get the World Cup to finish it all off for him.

Maradona is that bit better at his style, Ronaldinho is much too skilful for Messi and all, in my belief, Maradona was best in world, Ronaldinho was most skilful. Pele would push himself to prove he was better than anyone.

Maradona won Serie A and a World Cup. Big deal. Having a few good games in the World Cup in 1986 doesn't make him the best player ever.

Flopped at Barcelona.

Those who bang on about his exploits at Napoli probably saw the odd highlights of their games, at a push.

You are missing the point, Maradona took average sides and made them much better, it's like him taking Motherwell to winning the SPL.

He was better than Haaland by a distance tbh. Haaland is an incredible goal scorer but he couldn’t take the ball past multiple players in tight spaces the way Ronaldo could. R9’s close control is matched only by Messi, he could nutmeg you inside a phone box.
agreed. I'd also say R9 can dribble past players in a lot more different ways then Messi, when Messi goes past a player, you think, great skill, when R9 does it, you think, what just happened? how the fook did he do that???plus the ease in which he puts keepers on their arses before puttng the ball into an empty net, was a joy to watch

Last edited:

At the end of the day, the ball is in the net no matter how it got there.

Haaland is only 22, has a long career ahead of him.

At the end of the day, the ball is in the net no matter how it got there.

Haaland is only 22, has a long career ahead of him.
It is but a player who doesn’t need the team to produce the chances for him and can make them on his own is always going to be the better player.

I also think it’s getting easier for players to get huge goal tallies now days too what with the totally uneven distribution of wealth and talent, coupled with VAR which means penalties are getting doled out like sweeties too.

I know Haaland is only 22, R9 was universally recognised as the greatest player in the world at age 20 and won the ballon d’or age 21 :))

Back