Messi Scoring Record

World Cup (took Argentina an extra level above); stepped out of his comfort zones - Napoli bieng the best example; coming back from leg break in the surgically unadvanced '80's & still being brilliant when out of his nut on class A :))

Messi is the best I have ever watched in the flesh but I rate Maradona higher. GOAT imo. Watching him in the '86 World Cup was unreal.
I’m obviously older than you and was fortunate enough to see Pele, especially at Mexico 1970, where he was part of the greatest side EVER ! As much as I thought Maradona was fantastic I still say Pele was better, and also Maradona is now shit in my book after that last Fernando documentary when he was supposed to turn up to meet him.

You’re probably correct Maradona was on the gear Messi the Roids!

As I’ve said Maradona has done thing Messi can only dream of.

Well at least we’ve established that you have no answer and absolutely nothing to base your opinion on.

You’re right though, Maradona has done things Messi could only dream of, like being publicly outed and shamed as a drug cheat, and for shitting all over and disrespecting a dying man by breaking a promise made.

You’re probably correct Maradona was on the gear Messi the Roids!

As I’ve said Maradona has done thing Messi can only dream of.

The ONLY thing Maradona has on Messi is the World Cup win, and Messi STILL managed to drag Argentina's worst ever team (far worse than the one Maradona played in) kicking and screaming to the final in 2014.

Messi's career literally pisses all over Maradonas in every other quantifiable aspect.

Well at least we’ve established that you have no answer and absolutely nothing to base your opinion on.

You’re right though, Maradona has done things Messi could only dream of, like being publicly outed and shamed as a drug cheat, and for shitting all over and disrespecting a dying man by breaking a promise made.

You do know I was having a little fun in that last post ??

Think you need to check another thread out :oops:

The ONLY thing Maradona has on Messi is the World Cup win, and Messi STILL managed to drag Argentina's worst ever team (far worse than the one Maradona played in) kicking and screaming to the final in 2014.

Messi's career literally pisses all over Maradonas in every other quantifiable aspect.

Worst ever team lol Augero Higuain maxi Di Maria Mascherano Lavezzi cmon man!!

Worst ever team lol Augero Higuain maxi Di Maria Mascherano Lavezzi cmon man!!

Di Maria wasnt in the squad.
Higuain and Aguero (who wasnt at his peak) competing for one position.
Lavezzi and Maxi nowhere near the same level as the others named.

It is Argentinas second worst ever team, after 2018. Their midfield and defence is essentially nonexistent with the exception of a 900 year old Martin Demichelis at Centre back.

You cant seriously tell me you watched that world cup and seen anything other than Messi dragging them to that final single handedly.

Did he not say the same about Riquelme and Saviola at some point?

I remember watching a documentary where he said George Best was the greatest of all time (was a few years back, right enough, but he was, on that occasion, correct).

Messi, as with most professionals these days, has applied himself to a far higher standard than Maradona ever did. And yet Maradona, despite that, was an incredible talent who did drag Napoli and Argentina to successes that they simply would not have achieved otherwise. For that he deserves immense respect. And he did that despite being subject to absolute brutality from opposing players (to a greater degree than what Messi has had to put up with). I

Ultimately, don't think it's fair to compare Messi and Maradona directly - the game has changed to much in the last 20 years to be able to make that comparison. Better to say that they were amongst the very best of their generations.

You do know I was having a little fun in that last post ??

Think you need to check another thread out :oops:

Eh? I’m just saying, I asked you why you held that view and you didn’t answer me!

I’m a huge fan of Maradona as a player, I won’t argue much with anyone who says he’s the greatest of all time, but I do think some of the arguments put forward for him are based on myth and the over romanticism of his career since as time has passed, and those are things I will argue and debate.

Also goes without saying I’ve come to loathe the guy since the Ricksen documentary aired. He’s a horrible man.

Eh? I’m just saying, I asked you why you held that view and you didn’t answer me!

I’m a huge fan of Maradona as a player, I won’t argue much with anyone who says he’s the greatest of all time, but I do think some of the arguments put forward for him are based on myth and the over romanticism of his career since as time has passed, and those are things I will argue and debate.

Also goes without saying I’ve come to loathe the guy since the Ricksen documentary aired. He’s a horrible man.

I also have no time for him due to that documentary. Lowlife scumbag.

Di Maria wasnt in the squad.
Higuain and Aguero (who wasnt at his peak) competing for one position.
Lavezzi and Maxi nowhere near the same level as the others named.

It is Argentinas second worst ever team, after 2018. Their midfield and defence is essentially nonexistent with the exception of a 900 year old Martin Demichelis at Centre back.

You cant seriously tell me you watched that world cup and seen anything other than Messi dragging them to that final single handedly.

Maradona dragged his side to the trophy and then next time to the final he could do that Messi just couldn’t he didn’t train properly was on non performing enhancing drugs and still did that his talent is unparalleled Messi is phenomenal probably as close talent wise as anyone maybe Brazil Ronaldo too but in the biggest game and you had a choice of a player to pull a weak team to win a final Maradona wins that every time.

You are literally arguing with me because I said he is the greatest mate you’re all over the shop here?

Maradona dragged his side to the trophy and then next time to the final he could do that Messi just couldn’t he didn’t train properly was on non performing enhancing drugs and still did that his talent is unparalleled Messi is phenomenal probably as close talent wise as anyone maybe Brazil Ronaldo too but in the biggest game and you had a choice of a player to pull a weak team to win a final Maradona wins that every time.
Maradona didn’t even score in the final though so the fact people say he dragged Argentina by himself to win it in 86 is a nonsense.

You are literally arguing with me because I said he is the greatest mate you’re all over the shop here?

Christ, read what I wrote. I will argue with myths like “took shite Argentina and Napoli sides to success” and “did it in an era where defenders were UFC fighters” etc.

If you read back through the thread you’ll note that I have clearly NOT disputed the suggestion that’s he’s the GOAT at any point. The issue isn’t with me mate, it’s with your inability to read things properly.

The Messi v Ronaldo v Maradona debate gets more heated in here than any arguments involving Rangers!

He blood doped

He decides who Barca signs.

He is some player but is an egotistical fud but his record is sensational though in an era where tough defending is virtually outlawed.

I doubt he picks their transfer targets single handedly. However, surely a club with a world superstar, club legend, arguably the greatest ever, would want to sign players that fit him and build a team around him? Isn't that just common sense?

I doubt he picks their transfer targets single handedly. However, surely a club with a world superstar, club legend, arguably the greatest ever, would want to sign players that fit him and build a team around him? Isn't that just common sense?
I was of course being a little bit naughty with my post but only last week i read simewhere that Messi vetoed the signing of Eriksen from Spurs. :D

Messi is a sensational footballer but perhaps has too much say in things if some reports are to be believed.

The Messi v Ronaldo v Maradona debate gets more heated in here than any arguments involving Rangers!

Don’t think so mate. Messi is a phenomenal player with his feet on the ground, Ronald, whilst a fine player, would eat himself if he was chocolate. Maradona is a drug crazed gangster who was once good at football.

I was of course being a little bit naughty with my post but only last week i read simewhere that Messi vetoed the signing of Eriksen from Spurs. :D

Messi is a sensational footballer but perhaps has too much say in things if some reports are to be believed.

I'd veto that overrated fud as well if I was picking the Barca team! :D

Back