Messi wins FIFA's 'The Best' award

dt17

The Jay Cartwright of FF
Beating Van Dijk & Ronaldo in the process.

Rightly so IMO. I know VVD had a great season but Messi is still head and shoulders above anyone else in world football.

No idea why Ronaldo was included in the top 3. Genuinely think the likes of Salah, Mane and Bernardo Silva were more deserving last season.

I read something earlier: since Messi last won a Ballon d'Or, he's got 270 goals & assists to his name in club competitions. That is 63 more than the 2nd highest (Ronaldo) and 88 more than the third (Neymar). He's not won any individual awards in that time.

Well deserved. By far and away the greatest player in the modern era and probably the best of all time too.
I'd agree, however, Maradona will always be my favourite player of all time. I was 12 when he won the WC in 1986 all by himself.

It was best Men’s player award you sexist. Messi plays for Barcelona Men’s Team remember.

Messi voted: 1. Mane 2. Ronaldo 3. De Jong

CR7 voted: 1. De Ligt 2. De Jong 3. Mbappe

Lol

EFLU4AaXUAI5k1R

Merson weighs in with his take haha. Why do mongos like him who don’t watch Spanish football even bother remarking on such things? He’s effectively giving it tight to Messi because he’s “only done what he does every season”, and because they didn’t win the CL and therefore didn’t take his team to a different level. He seems to forget it’s an individual award.

He also seems to forget Liverpool could have coasted to the CL final without requiring a big comeback if Virgil Van Dick hadn’t defended like an absolute amateur in Spain.

Asked if Messi deserved the award, Merson replied: ‘No. No. It’s a joke. Sorry, it’s a joke.

‘He’s just done what he’s done every season. He hasn’t taken them to another level. He didn’t take them to win the Champions League. That’s what Barcelona are all about.

‘How many does he get against Alaves? You win it because you’ve done something special. Van Dijk has done something special. They’ve won the Champions League, Liverpool.

‘That’s what Barcelona wanted to win. If you asked Barcelona what do you want to win the league or the Champions League? They’d’ve gone the Champions League.

Merson weighs in with his take haha. Why do mongos like him who don’t watch Spanish football even bother remarking on such things? He’s effectively giving it tight to Messi because he’s “only done what he does every season”, and because they didn’t win the CL and therefore didn’t take his team to a different level. He seems to forget it’s an individual award.

He also seems to forget Liverpool could have coasted to the CL final without requiring a big comeback if Virgil Van Dick hadn’t defended like an absolute amateur in Spain.
Seen that on the the debate :)) hes a clueless wanker, basically slagging Messi off because he only does what he usually does. He’s a victim of his own success.

Seen that on the the debate :)) hes a clueless wanker, basically slagging Messi off because he only does what he usually does. He’s a victim of his own success.

He definitely is. Apparently most of the journalists voted for Van Dick (they normally always vote for someone whose won the CL) so the big fanny will no doubt get the Ballon D’or, which will be a bit of a farce in itself but at least it’ll keep mongo Merson happy :D

Traditionally the awards go to players who Played in teams to have won continental or world Trophies.

Ronaldo won the Nations Lesgue, Liverpool the CL and Brazil the Copa so for me the winner has to come from one of those teams.

People can masturbate all they want about Messi, but over the last few years in the big games with Argentina and Barca he has failed to produce. It’s 5 years since he won a trophy on the international stage with Barca and he’s repeatedly been a failure with Argentina. He doesn’t deserve as much credit.

Ronaldo is the GOAT....

Come and get me

As much as I can’t deny that Ronaldo and Messi are the two greatest footballers ever (also come and get me). I’d suggest Messi was pretty much the best right out the gate and for longer. Ronaldo took a few years to get to the same position as Messi IMHO

Traditionally the awards go to players who Played in teams to have won continental or world Trophies.

Ronaldo won the Nations Lesgue, Liverpool the CL and Brazil the Copa so for me the winner has to come from one of those teams.

People can masturbate all they want about Messi, but over the last few years in the big games with Argentina and Barca he has failed to produce. It’s 5 years since he won a trophy on the international stage with Barca and he’s repeatedly been a failure with Argentina. He doesn’t deserve as much credit.

What part of individual award don't you understand?

Individually Messi was head and shoulders above the rest.

Ronaldo is lucky he has a good PR team because for his standards he's had one of the worst seasons of his career. Bernardo Silva was far more influential in Portugal winning the UEFA Nations League (hardly a proper tournament, it's a glorified friendly) and Juve also had their worst season in 4 years. So remind me, why should Ronaldo be up there?

Messi gets a lot of stick for his international career, some of it justified. But in the last World Cup the only games Argentina lost were to the two eventual finalists. They lost the Copa America this year to the eventual winners.

If it was anyone other than Messi - people would say getting to a World Cup final and three Copa America finals is pretty good going for a career. But he's judged to a different standard from everybody else, including Ronaldo.

The selected world 11 was a joke though. Marcelo, Ramos & Modric all featured even though Madrid had a terrible season. Not one Man City player was included.

Failed to produce Hahahaha

“The Nations League”

tenor.gif

Cant understand why people get so invested in who wins individual awards. I genuinely couldn't care who wins a ballon dor, who wins POTY in Scotland etc. Its meaningless.

Always funny to see grown adults throw their toys out the pram over it on Twitter however!

Failed to produce Hahahaha

He scored 2 goals in the semi final, gave Dembele a sitter to make it 4-0 in spain (which he cùnted) and played Suarez right through on goal twice at Anfield but he doesn’t deserve it because he wasn’t back holding Gerard Pique’s hand and playing sweeper too!

Meantime VVD is a prime candidate for these awards after his Russell Martin impression at the Nou Camp. Makes perfect sense.

Last edited:
I wonder how good Ronaldo would have become if he had taken HGH

He almost certainly does though. If he can use his wallet to make a rape victim go away I’m sure he can do the same with banned substances. Hes human like everyone so he probably is up to something, would explain why he’s never injured long term too.

Done it at top level in different countries

Did he really do it in Spain? He won 2 la Liga titles and 2 Copa del reys. A poor return for a Real Madrid player.

Meanwhile Messi won 6 titles and 5 cups in the same period.

In matches against each other Messi pisses all over him. Perhaps that’s why he took the easy route out and went to Juve.

Couple of folk in work were giving it "how the f/ck did Messi win this again, what did he do last season".

Because La Liga isn't on Sky now then his performances are a bit more difficult to watch, but he carried an average Barcelona team all season. He was phenomenal last season, even by his standards. Dropping back into virtually a central midfield role but still posting ridiculous goal and assist stats. His range of passing has also improved.

One poor game away to Liverpool appears to be what he was judged on by many last season.

There was a highlight reel from last September (I think) doing the rounds of his performances that month - frightening. His goal v Betis away in March to complete a hat-trick was one of his best.

The GOAT.

Saw a stat earlier saying Ronaldo has scored in every minute up to the 107th minute. Crazy!

Love this thread. Messi or Ronaldo. Nobody can agree. At least its giving Connor Goldson a rest!! :))

For the record Messi the best of his generation, run a very close second by Ronaldo. Maradona the GOAT, run a very close second by the real Ronaldo.

Couple of folk in work were giving it "how the f/ck did Messi win this again, what did he do last season".

Because La Liga isn't on Sky now then his performances are a bit more difficult to watch, but he carried an average Barcelona team all season. He was phenomenal last season, even by his standards. Dropping back into virtually a central midfield role but still posting ridiculous goal and assist stats. His range of passing has also improved.

One poor game away to Liverpool appears to be what he was judged on by many last season.

There was a highlight reel from last September (I think) doing the rounds of his performances that month - frightening. His goal v Betis away in March to complete a hat-trick was one of his best.

The GOAT.

Therein lies the issue. More people watch the Premier League therefore are biased towards English teams/players. Guarantee hardly anyone watched Juventus last season other than in the Champions League and therefore Ronaldo got votes purely based on reputation.

The notion that Messi 'bottled' the CL semi final against Liverpool is laughable as well. He scored 2 in the 3-0 game and created several other chances. In the 4-0 defeat he wasn't at his best but his highlight reel is still better than most players can muster up in 3-4 games never mind in one and he created a few great chances for his teammates.

As I mentioned before though, he is held to a different standard than anybody else - including Ronaldo. I don't hear anyone saying Ronaldo bottled it because Ajax knocked them out. Barca had a 3-0 lead (mainly courtesy of Messi) and in the return leg the defence conceded 4 goals...not quite sure why that's his fault?

He almost certainly does though. If he can use his wallet to make a rape victim go away I’m sure he can do the same with banned substances. Hes human like everyone so he probably is up to something, would explain why he’s never injured long term too.
You might be right

Back