Mesut Ozil: Arsenal distance club from midfielder's social media post

Syme

Arsenal have distanced the club from midfielder Mesut Ozil's comments on the treatment of Uighur Muslims in China.
Rights groups say about a million people - mostly from the Muslim Uighur community - are thought to have been detained without trial in high-security prison camps.
China says they are being educated in "vocational training centres" to combat violent religious extremism.
"Arsenal is always apolitical as an organisation," the London club said.
"Following social media messages from Mesut Ozil on Friday, Arsenal Football Club must make it clear that these are Mesut's personal views."
The Gunners' statement was published on Chinese social media site Weibo.
In his post Ozil, who is a Muslim, called Uighurs "warriors who resist persecution" and criticised both China and the silence of Muslims in response.
China has consistently denied mistreating Uighur Muslims in the country.
Arsenal's statement received thousands of comments, many were critical or suggested it was not good enough. One commenter wrote "that's it?", while another responded with a picture of an Ozil shirt they had cut up.
Some users also wrote posts with the hashtags "#Protesting against Ozil" and "#Ozil made inappropriate comments about China".
In October, the US National Basketball Association suffered financial losses after an online comment from a team executive prompted a crisis in its relations with China.
Houston Rockets' manager Daryl Morey had tweeted support for pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong.
As a result Chinese firms suspended sponsorship and telecast deals.

Footballers speak out about racism pretty regularly. Arsenal will no doubt be doing this simply because they see China as a lucrative market for them. Will be interesting to see those that stick the boot in to Ozil though.

That’s what I was thinking, very serious issue what’s happening in china but they won’t want to scare away the Chinese market.

Funny how all these big clubs say they stand up against racism, homophobia and sectarianism but when its Chinese government state sponsored oppression it's a different story and have to apologise to the Chinese. Laughable really.

Not just in sport but it's the same with massive businesses and Hollywood. They'll all stand up against hate, but only that it doesn't cut into their profits.

Turns out that China doesn't pander to religion.

I, for one, welcome our new Chinese overlords.

In November/December 1525 Count Pemflinger/King Louis (Hungary) decreed all Lutherans, clergy or laymen be seized and burned.

On the 23rd April 1526, Soliman the Magnificent set out from Constantinople to Hungary with a 300,000 strong army,, inadvertently saving Protestantism.

"Thus did Christ cover his little flock with the shield of the Moslem"

Last edited:
I haven't seen the post from Ozil but that's not a surprise from Arsenal. They've been playing in China during pre season recently. They can't go against that potential money source.

Fairly sure The Athletic bowed to our Chinese overlords during the Houston Rockets and the NBA stuff from a few months ago.

People and companies love to preach about inclusion, equality etc but in reality all they want is the good PR from it, they don't actually care.

Can't wait to see the UEFA tweet supporting their player speaking out about racism and persecution of minorities, oh wait...

China is a huge market. Its why all these super lefty Hollywood actors suddenly lost their voice over the shite in Hong Kong recently too. No big corporation wants to associate with a critic of their government.

Funny how all these big clubs say they stand up against racism, homophobia and sectarianism but when its Chinese government state sponsored oppression it's a different story and have to apologise to the Chinese. Laughable really.

Not just in sport but it's the same with massive businesses and Hollywood. They'll all stand up against hate, but only that it doesn't cut into their profits.

Chinese money is behind a good portion of hollywood produced films these days. Just like in the olden days Hollywood doesn't bite the hand that feeds it.

NBA was the exact same with Daryl Morey's tweets about the Hong Kong protests. It was outrageous how the owners and players turned on him afterwards.

Ozil should be asking why Hector Bellerin tweeting "Fúck Boris" on Thursday didn't require the same washing of hands from the club.

I haven't seen the post from Ozil but that's not a surprise from Arsenal. They've been playing in China during pre season recently. They can't go against that potential money source.

Fairly sure The Athletic bowed to our Chinese overlords during the Houston Rockets and the NBA stuff from a few months ago.

People and companies love to preach about inclusion, equality etc but in reality all they want is the good PR from it, they don't actually care.
this - morally corrupt the lot of them

China is a huge market. Its why all these super lefty Hollywood actors suddenly lost their voice over the shite in Hong Kong recently too. No big corporation wants to associate with a critic of their government.

Exactly the reason why I lose all respect for celebrities who start the poltiical stuff online. They eventually show their hypocrisy sooner or later.

Turns out that China doesn't pander to religion.

I, for one, welcome our new Chinese overlords.
You should watch the documentaries on these camps .....
The BBC's Newsnight programme also interviewed former prisoners who were able to leave for other countries. Here is what one of them, Omir, said:

"They wouldn't let me sleep, they would hang me up for hours and would beat me. They had thick wooden and rubber batons, whips made from twisted wire, needles to pierce the skin, pliers for pulling out the nails. All these tools were displayed on the table in front of me, ready to use at any time. And I could hear other people screaming as well."

Bursa that Farter Mezit......
mesut-ozil-wife-amine-sead-kolasinac-arsenal-knife-moped-muggers-met-police-1690698

Arsenal have distanced the club from midfielder Mesut Ozil's comments on the treatment of Uighur Muslims in China.

Anyone else read that as Uglier Muslims fist time??

Another example of clubs or athletes selling out or turning a blind eye to atrocities in order to rake in money from places like china or the middle east. Ozil is a bit of a hypocrite considering his love in for Erdogan but he's not wrong about this specific thing

It actually over 2 million
Imagine twice the population of Glasgow in one detention centre

we should build one for the tims though I think most are beyond repair anyway

Yet Ozil is happy to support and be photographed with Erdogan who engages in his own religious persecution.

Hypocrite!

The muslin higher are fighting a war against China the Chinese are the most oppressive government on the planet. The fuuuckers have their claws into everything in all countries.
Trump who is widely called out as a balloon is on the case as are the ausssiea and new zwealand governments, in denting them in to build the 5g network as they know the data saved will be sent to beiging.
Ozil is looking is looking after his Muslim brothers fair enough but there is also mass persecution of Christians and Budhists. The Hong Kong Chinese are the only ones brave enough to highlight this to the International World,if it was on mainland China it wouldn't be known about
The Chinese communists are the biggest threat to world peace

The muslin higher are fighting a war against China the Chinese are the most oppressive government on the planet. The fuuuckers have their claws into everything in all countries.
Trump who is widely called out as a balloon is on the case as are the ausssiea and new zwealand governments, in denting them in to build the 5g network as they know the data saved will be sent to beiging.
Ozil is looking is looking after his Muslim brothers fair enough but there is also mass persecution of Christians and Budhists. The Hong Kong Chinese are the only ones brave enough to highlight this to the International World,if it was on mainland China it wouldn't be known about
The Chinese communists are the biggest threat to world peace
Not a fan, then?

Back